Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232792 - 09/26/11 08:29 PM Where do you draw the line ???
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I was talking ( OK, arguing ) with a supervisor who was aways criticzing this or that in our establishment, and praising some other companies that have more risk/reward type of job.

In a heated moment, I asked him why he stayed here all these years and why he didn't join this or that company. He responded that his wife refused the idea, and preferred the easy lifestyle she was having here.

I remembered another ( more friendly ) discussion we had earlier about his plans after retirement. He mentioned that he wanted to leave his city and move to a farm near a village, but - again - his wife wanted city life and couldn't stand cows and chickens.

That got me thinking about prepping. It is OK to change our plans regarding jobs ..etc. because of our loved ones, but many of us are facing some difficulties with spouses over such things as stockpiling food in the house.

Funny thing , when I was thinking about posting this question, I watched a U-tube video for Engineer775 and it was obvious that one of his teenage daughters was not happy with farm work.

So, how do you folks manage this , and where do you draw the line.

#232799 - 09/26/11 09:52 PM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
They're probably miserable and are just venting because no one at home cares what they think or want. Just listen with one ear and nod at appropriate times, and work in one or two 'uh-huhs'.

From some of the couples I've known, I've wondered why they've stayed married so long. There are some really nice women married to control freaks and idiots, and some really nice men married to control freaks and idiots.

Then there are the Opposites Attract couples, who have never agreed on anything and never will.

I guess people have decided which form their misery should take.

And, as a friend says: "If people didn't get married for such stupid reasons, they wouldn't get divorced for such stupid reasons."

Sue

#232801 - 09/26/11 10:42 PM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm not seeing the connection between living as farmers and stockpiling.

Jeanette Isabelle

#232802 - 09/26/11 10:52 PM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Susan]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Susan

And, as a friend says: "If people didn't get married for such stupid reasons, they wouldn't get divorced for such stupid reasons."

Sue

Shouldn't that quote be on a bumper sticker. Still wouldn't put it on my ride but it is one that will get repeated.

#232810 - 09/27/11 02:17 AM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My wife has been resistant to some of the preps I've wanted. She refused for some time to carry her BOB/GHB/whatever (our terminology at home is "emergency kit") in her car, stating that it took up too much room (in her minivan!) and was ugly. She has a point on that; I got a remaindered Camelbak in RealTree hunters' camo, and it ain't pretty.

After having used many items from it on many occasions, she's reasonably converted and carries it in her car at all times, and even listens when I show her something that's moved/added/changed. I still have to maintain it for her.

She carries a flashlight, again after years of resistance, but it's saved the day too many times for her to ignore.

Stored water and food has been bugging her mostly for taking up storage space, but I've essentially won that argument.

The only thing I've really wanted to get that she isn't wanting is a generator, and that only because of expense. Hopefully our finances will get a little better in the Spring and I'll be able to get one then.

#232812 - 09/27/11 03:00 AM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My wife is not a prepper, but puts up with me coming home with more stockpiles. She puts up with it b/c she has come to realize that it does come in handy, whether its b/c I have extra pancake syrup or evap milk or b/c we can give food to a needy family on a moments notice.

#232818 - 09/27/11 11:03 AM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Should be the Preppers motto:

Everyone thinks that we are idiot's. Untill it goes wrong!

#232832 - 09/27/11 03:13 PM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: chaosmagnet]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Relationships can evolve, as do situations. My wife wrote off my preps as an obsession with camping gear (guilty) and mild paranoia (who, me?), but as time has gone on they have come in handy enough times that she rolls her eyes and allows it. Refused me a generator, though.

We lost power for a couple days due to Irene, and I had enough flashlights for everyone in the house to have 4, plus stored water, cooking alternatives, etc. I had no way to power the fridge (boo!), the freezer (bigger boo!), or the sump pump (yikes!). Our sump pump works a lot, and when a borrowed generator was needed to keep our (newly finished) basement dry, she saw the light and I have a new generator now. No fuss, no fighting.

Sometimes the right lesson needs to be learned before change can happen. Hopefully the lesson does not involve hip boots and bailing. crazy

#232836 - 09/27/11 03:51 PM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

We have had enough issues with hurricanes and tornadoes that my wife has come around to my point of view. She now encourages some prepping and keeps a BOB packed for her and each of the kids. We have war-gamed through evacuations and remaining in place. when we first got together, she thought it was all pretty ridiculous; called it my "fetish". Demonstrating the usefulness is probably the best way to change someone's mind.

#232866 - 09/27/11 08:37 PM Re: Where do you draw the line ??? [Re: Chisel]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Yes Montanero, the recent wild weather - first the tornadoes, then the almost hurricanes - have more than convinced some of my friends that having some things set aside for a rainy/windy day is a good idea.

Wife has always supported the extra food, camping gear, guns and ammo that we have. Figures if we have it and don't need it it's much better than needing it and not having it.

Fact is, it's her idea to go the gun show this weekend. Woot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.