Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232819 - 09/27/11 12:38 PM Best way to cross barbed wire fence?
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
This might seem like a simple question but....

Part of my worst-case scenario of walking home (alone) a very long ways requires laying up for rest along the way.

Getting away from the road for this is important.

It's also possible that getting off the road for travel could be necessary. It may be that travel at night is the best way to go as it would keep me warm from activity during the coldest part of the day.

There are a lot of barbed wire fences to cross if travelling off-road or short-cutting road corners.

I have a little experience with these fences (mostly dis-used and unmaintained fences in NFS lands) but not enough to feel confident about dealing with them.

I understand that the best-case is to find a clean, dry large gap between the bottom strand the ground and wriggle underneath. (pack might have to go over separately though not always) This is least-risk of injury and minimal snagging.

Next best is if the fence is saggy and slack so that two strands can be spread so as to slip thru. This pretty much requires removing one's pack and placing it over the other side before spreading the wires and easing thru trying not to get hung up. But the tightest, best fences I've seen have a vertical twisted stiffener between posts that prevents spreading.

Then there is climbing the fence at the post hoping the wire you're standing on doesn't slip off?

Cutting the fence might get me shot and I don't want to carry the cutters to do it.

So- anybody got some advice based on lots of practice?

#232821 - 09/27/11 01:10 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You mentioned my techniques (going over or thru) although I've never needed to go under. It depends on fence specifics - width of gap, slackness et al. Cutting a fence is bad form.

#232824 - 09/27/11 01:34 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If the fence or barrier is designed to keep folks (rather than livestock/animals) from crossing then you'll need some cutters, otherwise getting past an old fashioned simple barbed wire fence then you seem to have it figured out.

There are many different types of security wire/fence or barbed tape.

http://www.birminghambarbedtape.co.uk/index.php

Even then some are designed to be resistant to wire cutters such as the Park Tool CN-10.

#232826 - 09/27/11 01:48 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I would never consider cutting a fence. But cutting fences happens, livestock (cattle, horses et al) get loose and then find themselves on a road where they are subsequently killed by a car/truck and they do a lot of damage on their way out. Really bad form for a hiker, survival situation or not.

#232827 - 09/27/11 02:11 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The most common, and probably safest, technique is for one person to spread the slack wires while the other(s) slip through. Next best is finding a spot slack enough that you can step over - be sure and have a firm grip on the strand of wire because you don't want it to slip in mid stride. Most risky is climbing a post, especially if the fence is elderly.

A good pair of leather work gloves is a good idea....

#232843 - 09/27/11 04:20 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
It is usually worthwhile to scout some distance along the fence to find the easiest spot to cross. If going over, one might find a convenient tree or boulder to make it easier. Or, look for the most sturdy post to climb. Likewise, if going under, look for a spot where there is slightly more clearance.

#232844 - 09/27/11 04:21 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Just to reiterate - I have crossed over and crawled under some fences over the years but thought I might have missed some clever techniques.

This is assumed to be done alone.

Thanks.

#232845 - 09/27/11 05:06 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its not been unknown for the wooden post to be pulled up from the post hole, leaving the fence just 1-2 feet high then walking across the post, then putting the post back in the post hole.

BTW there is a general rule that an area which is enclosed off will have at least one entrance called a gate. wink

Cutting your way through/climbing over etc an obscure fence may mean you could be getting yourself into some serious trouble if crossing a secure area such as a FEMA camp, prison, nuclear or defense establishment. Sometimes it is just better to walk around the obstacle. wink Oh and keep an eye for electrical insulators on the fence, it could lead to a shocking experience.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/27/11 05:44 PM)

#232852 - 09/27/11 06:19 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Its not been unknown for the wooden post to be pulled up from the post hole, leaving the fence just 1-2 feet high then walking across the post, then putting the post back in the post hole.

That's the technique I hadn't thought about. I'd only expect it to work with a saggy fence though. Not the taut metal-post-with-vertical spacers between posts modern fences.

I'm not looking to cross any Federal property. Just thinking about crossing semi-rural prairie pasture/crop lands so I can get to/from a good layup spot, or procure water, or stay away from the roads.

#232854 - 09/27/11 06:37 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

I forgot that Google is my best friend.
Here is a rather small solution to the problem.
Other searches indicate these things might be hard to find but it sure looks like a simple solution.
Ought to have a NSN for the SpecOps boys.

http://www.topratedadventures.com/Mfg/T-PostStepper.htm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.