Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232798 - 09/26/11 09:41 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
Longshanks Offline
Stranger

My EDC knife is a Gerber TSL 2.0, they're light and thin with a locking blade and would fit your requirements nicely. Mine is barely noticeable in my pocket. I'm on my second one only because I lost the original after 2 years. I bought extras for my BOB's and to have a spare EDC. MSRP is about $20 but I've found them online for under $10.

#233120 - 10/02/11 03:30 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
bite the bullet and spend good money on the most important tool a person can own. this is not a good place to try and "save a few bucks".

i like William Henry folders for being flat and light and sharp.

shown is the B09 FT, while definitely not "cheap" at $375, its worth its weight in gold or blood or anything else. its ZDP-189 steel is the most amazing i've ever used. man, can it hold an edge!

http://www.williamhenrystudio.com/product-detail.cfm?knife_id=18

but i also edc a B15-FT2, now out of production.

#233131 - 10/02/11 10:24 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: wileycoyote]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For knives, like so many other classes of consumer goods, there is a wide range of quality and prices, going from very low quality/low price to high quality/high price. It gets interesting in the middle of the continuum where you can often find very good quality coupled with a reasonably low price -i.e., "the bargain."

You can see this in Consumer Reports ratings. Frequently the highest ranked product, very highly priced, is followed in the ratings by an item just a few ratings points lower, but at a substantially lower price.

When it comes to knives, I would get a decent model, paying no more than about $50, and I would put the rest of the money in a good climbing rope and assorted accessories, things that have come in handy far more often than a knife. Frankly, I can't recall any situations where a knife made a crucial difference, but there have been many in my experience where a good fire making kit, or a good rope, really improved the outcome. Proper footgear, suited for the activity you are pursuing, is another area where it pays to spend....

#233138 - 10/03/11 06:19 AM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
For knives, like so many other classes of consumer goods, there is a wide range of quality and prices, going from very low quality/low price to high quality/high price. It gets interesting in the middle of the continuum where you can often find very good quality coupled with a reasonably low price -i.e., "the bargain."......When it comes to knives, I would get a decent model, paying no more than about $50,........

Yup. Me too. The 80/20 rule applies to knives, in my opinion. Fifty buckaroos or thereabouts should get you a decent knife. Put the rest into some other item(s) critical to your personal situation.

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." (The perfect is the enemy of the good.)
-Voltaire

#233144 - 10/03/11 02:46 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

isn't it great we have those opinions?

over the last 50 years i've amassed knives ranging from $2 to $2000. each has their place.

i own super cheapies for use around the ranch (cutting baling twine or scraping battery terminals, for example), that can be broken/lost without crying, things like the superknife box-cutters. sometimes when i want "better" i might carry a $25-30 kershaw, either leek or chive.

my wife who spends all day horseback, likes the $50 gerber air ranger (designed by bill harsey). she has one clipped to her jean's pocket and another in the pocket of her chaps. in winter she prefers the larger spydie tenacious because its easy to open when wearing gloves.

yet when i head deep into the wilderness where replacements aren't an option, cost is of no concern. its what i can trust. in the last few years, this has been either the smaller sebbie, a 3" hinderer, or a baby terzuola, but most recently a couple of WH.

but yes, there are useful $50 knives, no doubt.

it all depends of what each person finds most important for their given situation. at either extreme is: saving bucks, or having what they consider the best. most fall somewhere in between. buyer's choice.

fyi - at times i also carry pocket kit containing a gerber stl 2.0, but having owned a half dozen of them, like most inexpensive folders, not all lock-up as they should, so i've ended up with bloody fingers. that is one of the prices to pay when giving up top-quality to save some money.

i suspect the lack of solid lock-up on low-cost folders is why Doug probably suggested the CRKT RSK-MK5 fixed blade knife for inclusion in Adventure Medical's Pocket Survival Pak Plus that i just purchased.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=233#

#233147 - 10/03/11 04:14 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its a trade-off; I need light and flat locking blades for SAK/ FAK use. So price point is important as I buy 3-5 for various places.

#233149 - 10/03/11 04:37 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

i understand and do the same. i have knives tucked everywhere, and none of the back-ups are the fancy one. i reserve the "best" for what i carry on me 24/7.

because i rarely trust low-cost folders to lock-up perfectly, i just as soon use slip-joint folders, which forces me to use them only for cutting/slicing, not "prying" (by which i mean, any sideways or reverse pressure at all).

with that in mind, one of my favorite "survival kit" knives is the flat/thin/sharp/inexpensive/high-quality/extremely-rust-resistant Victorinox SAK Solo Alox

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Solo+Alox

seem to be available thru amazon for $16

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Pocket-Silver-Ribbed/dp/B0007QCO7E/ref=pd_sim_sg7

#233159 - 10/03/11 06:44 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: wileycoyote]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
fyi - at times i also carry pocket kit containing a gerber stl 2.0, but having owned a half dozen of them, like most inexpensive folders, not all lock-up as they should, so i've ended up with bloody fingers. that is one of the prices to pay when giving up top-quality to save some money.

I'm just trying to think this through based on this brief description, but if I was ending up with bloody fingers from folders closing on me, I'd be thinking I was using the wrong tool for the job.

If I often needed to use lot of leverage, especially the type that could create downwards force on the back of the blade, I think I'd look for something other than a folder to carry with me. Depending on the specifics of the expected uses, I'd think a fixed blade, one of those County Comm breacher/pry bars, or even possibly a pier-based multi-tool would be better suited to handling these types of forces while greatly reducing my chance of self-inflicted injury.

Rather than paying for a very expensive folder with a 100% fail proof locking mechanism (assuming one exists), I'd personally be looking for a reasonably priced tool that was better suited to the task at hand.

#233161 - 10/03/11 07:13 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: Denis]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

over the years i've had lock-blade folders fail doing even simple things like using it as an awl on leather or opening cardboard boxes.

i've owned/carried numerous FBs but find they to often get caught on ropes or brush or seat belts or even arms of chairs.

and i own a number of other tools, including County Comm's breacher/pry bars, but i don't always have them on me when needed.

i've never bent or broken a blade, and don't abuse them when better tools are available, but sometimes i do ask them to do more than simply cut soft fruit.

i also think its more likely to push a tool to its limits during survival situations, so personally want more than just "acceptable quality".

or maybe it just my luck, my clumsiness, my stupidity.

i give up. must just be me. sorry i spoke up, and promise not to in this thread again....

#233169 - 10/03/11 08:08 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: wileycoyote]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
i give up. must just be me. sorry i spoke up, and promise not to in this thread again....

I wouldn't worry about it; there's nothing wrong with sharing your opinions and preferences. Each of us have had different experiences and influences which impact why we choose what we choose; for example I've never had a folder close on my fingers even when cutting moderately firm fruit (I don't just cut the soft stuff wink ). That's what we are here to share and learn from.

On the flip-side, just because someone comes to a different conclusion than you it doesn't invalidate your participation. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm just trying to flesh things out a bit more and grow in my understanding. Sometimes I might be right, sometimes I'm not and sometimes there just isn't one correct answer. What I do know is that if differing opinions are not discussed there is much less room for learning.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.