Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#236945 - 12/07/11 07:44 AM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: GarlyDog]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
It would be interesting if you could do a side-by-side comparison of expired and 'fresh' cannister, using a variety of metrics. In other words, see what expired really means if anything.

#236951 - 12/07/11 02:17 PM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: dougwalkabout]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Aside:
This thread gets me to wondering about the 4-5 expired bear spray cannisters I have kicking around. Some sort of repurposing as a "Plan B" perhaps? Thoughts about degradation of active ingredient over time (full propellant weight present)?

Save all of your old cannisters. I wrapped each in a section of nylon stocking with each end tapped closed. I dip them in bacon grease. Each is them stored in a zip-lok bag for later use. The can is quite thin. Most animals will bite thru it. I place three or four around our camp. It picks up bears, skunks, raccoons and stray dogs.

Nothing works better for the neighbors dog in your trash can.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#236962 - 12/07/11 05:33 PM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: ponder]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I like that idea,Alot!Maybe I'll think of something to keep the pilferer's out of my Blue trashcan,here in the city - cool

#236964 - 12/07/11 06:01 PM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Other than that scenario, I'd prefer to have a gun every time.

I'd take pepper spray over empty hands or a contact weapon, which makes it potentially useful in nonpermissive environments where I cannot carry a pistol.

#236984 - 12/07/11 08:20 PM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: haertig]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: haertig
I think the only way I'd use pepper spray is if I could identify an upcoming attack plenty in advance...Of course this unfolding of events would have ME being the assailant, not the bad guy.

IANAL but the general concept of self-defense does allow you to "strike" first if you think serious harm to you or someone else is imminent, so you aren't necessarily in the legal wrong. Especially if you then escape and report it promptly, there's little to indicate to the police or DA that you intended to assault the other guy, if the other person claims that.

Alas, real life is rarely so neat and tidy.

#236987 - 12/07/11 08:23 PM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
While pepper spray doesn't have the range of a firearm it IS a lot better than having a threat get withing touching distance.

From a legal standpoint, the limited range of pepper spray or even a Taser can be an advantage. It demonstrates how close the other person was when you engaged them and it bolsters your legal claim of self-defense from imminent harm. Of course, tactically, distance is your friend, as NightHiker said, so it's a tricky trade off.

#237042 - 12/08/11 06:59 PM Re: Pepper Spray question [Re: GarlyDog]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Anyone have any thoughts on the merits of pepper gel or foam?

Seems that foam has less reach, although hitting the eyes of a moving target may be easier. I hear the argument that the assailant could scoop the foam from their face and throw it back at you, but if you're not standing like a statue yourself, that may be an unlikely outcome.

Gel seems to have a lot of merit. Less blowback/crosscontamination for indoor use, more range than foam, and less chance for the guy to throw it back at you.

Granted, one huge component largely missing for either gel or foam is the potent respiratory effect that a cone or fogger, in particular, could inflict on someone if they breathed in the aerosolized droplets.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.