Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232556 - 09/22/11 02:59 AM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wishing the SAK was locking. Whats the smallest locking blade they make?

( Victoronix or that other co.)

#232561 - 09/22/11 03:58 AM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The only Victorinox that lock are the 111mm One Handed Trekker size and the SwissTools.

#232564 - 09/22/11 10:25 AM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: UTAlumnus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Wenger also makes a few locking SAKs in the Evolution line.

#232571 - 09/22/11 02:20 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The Wenger Evolution S18 has a locking main blade, good beefy scissors, and an excellent crosscut saw. I have been impressed by it. I got it as a minimalist option to a pliers-based tool. Of course it's not for brute force work like batoning wood, but you can do most cutting tasks well with it.

It is not purpose-designed as a one hand opening knife. But I have had no trouble pinching the main blade's nail nick between my thumb & index finger then levering it open. I don't think you'd be completely hosed if you had to deploy it one handed.

For vehicle-based operations it's too dinky but when every gram counts I like it.

#232573 - 09/22/11 03:52 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The Wenger Evolution S18 has a locking main blade, good beefy scissors, and an excellent crosscut saw. I have been impressed by it. I got it as a minimalist option to a pliers-based tool. Of course it's not for brute force work like batoning wood, but you can do most cutting tasks well with it.
For vehicle-based operations it's too dinky but when every gram counts I like it.

I agree. I recently picked up a Wenger S13; it was a Scouts Canada branded model with the Phillips instead of the cork screw.

My reason (or excuse wink ) for buying it was so I'd have a light weight but capable tool that I could keep on my body while my main fixed blade was lashed to my pack.

#232581 - 09/22/11 05:02 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: Denis]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Denis
My reason (or excuse wink ) for buying it was so I'd have a light weight but capable tool that I could keep on my body while my main fixed blade was lashed to my pack.

Exactly the same here. I keep the Wenger in the small waist pouch that stays on me at all times while my Mora Force bushcraft knife rides in my pack. Great minds, great minds...! grin

#232582 - 09/22/11 05:10 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

One quick suggestion is to take a look at the Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite knife.

www.coldsteel.com

It's a very small blade, but like most things they make - it's quite a tough knife. Lately I've been playing around with how many things I can accomplish using a knife blade that is very small. The Mini Tuff Lite is ideal for this exercise. One advantage to these knives with very small blades is that they are generally still street-legal almost anywhere in America (except possibly Philadelphia).

Pete2

Edited by Pete (09/22/11 05:10 PM)

#232588 - 09/22/11 06:17 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Exactly the same here. I keep the Wenger in the small waist pouch that stays on me at all times while my Mora Force bushcraft knife rides in my pack.

I put a small lanyard I harvested from an old flashlight on mine which allowed me to hook it around my belt and let it hang in my front pocket (technically, I guess I used a girth hitch ...). I barely notice it's there.

Great minds, great minds...! grin

Or fools seldom differ ... but I think I'll go with yours laugh

#232617 - 09/23/11 11:13 AM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

I second the praise for the SAK - easy to carry, friendly enough to use in public, and you can get a lot done with one - although the blade may not be as sturdy as some, you have purpose designed tools (saws, scissors, can-openers etc) which mean you aren't always having to misuse the blade

#232630 - 09/23/11 03:14 PM Re: Knife: light, flat and locking... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
again.. an old SF trick...attach one end of your SAK to a Bic lighter (attached with a couple of feet of duct tape)via a piece of 18" paracord or nylon cord... use the aforementioned girth hitch around your belt and slip lighter and knife in your front pocket

I'd trade the bottle cap lifter and can opener space of my Vic Farmer for a large pair of their scissors...staying with the alox handles

Edited by LesSnyder (09/23/11 03:14 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.