Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#232227 - 09/15/11 07:16 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Russ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
Isn't liquid paraffin another name for kerosene?

Yup, it's just a highly refined kerosene. You can use regular kerosene (like you would get from a gas station) or even fuel oil, but both will burn much smokier.

We used to use lamps like that in the construction industry. They were round balls, filled with kerosene or fuel oil, with a large wick on top. We would light them and leave them on the road, so that drivers could see us at night. Nowadays we have road flares, electrical lights, strobes, ect; but I've still got a bunch in the garage.

#232228 - 09/15/11 07:22 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Interesting claim by UCO:

"Beeswax produces negative ions that attract pollutants, so these candles actually clean the air."

#232229 - 09/15/11 07:25 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Isn't liquid paraffin another name for kerosene?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

I think its actually called Paraffin or Synthetic Lamp Oil (which was a replacement for Whale oil), as Kerosene was actually a trade marked name whose name has stuck - a little like calling a Vacuum Cleaner a Hoover. wink

#232234 - 09/15/11 07:54 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: GoatMan]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: GoatMan
Originally Posted By: hikermor
At least as far as the desert Southwest is concerned, car temps will reach levels that will melt any candle. Everything I tried eventually became a shapeless blob with a wick.

Have you considered a candle made of liquid paraffin? While they aren't the size of a tea candle, they last 100 hours and are for most intents and purposes smokeless.

Example http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CL%20C700

It has a wider base to be more stable. Could be hot glued to the bottom of a small coffee can with a rubber snap lid. You could even fasten up your own handle to hang it by. Best option I'm aware of for an emergency candle in a car winter survival kit.

I love these little gems as well. I keep them around for power outages at home. I went down to a local craft store and bought some glass cylinders that were meant to go around a 3-4" candle. They fit around these nicely, cost almost nothing & keep someone from accidentally catching a sleeve on fire.

#232239 - 09/15/11 10:04 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: 7point82]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The entire point of a candle is that it is solid, and can be stored in any position, is durable,and spillproof, etc. Liquids don't cut it, and don't store nicely for extended periods.

Fortunately, LED lights work quite well in these kinds of applications.

#232240 - 09/15/11 10:11 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The entire point of a candle is that it is solid, and can be stored in any position, is durable,and spillproof, etc. Liquids don't cut it, and don't store nicely for extended periods.

Fortunately, LED lights work quite well in these kinds of applications.

But LEDs require batteries, lack ambience, produce little heat and aren't great fire starters.

They do have their place -- in my headlamps and some flashlights.

#232247 - 09/15/11 10:40 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A bit of trademark semantics then cool

Seems to me what we have is a kerosene lantern masquerading as a candle. Nothing wrong with that s'pose, but why not just get a real kerosene lantern? It guess it has a nice price point, but how bright is this Emergency Candle compared to other kerosene lanterns?

The Dietz #1 Large Fount Little Wizard is a little over three times the price (3.544 times to be precise), but look how much more you get as an investment.

#232253 - 09/15/11 11:34 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Dagny]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They all have their place, although I don't like the liquid candles/lamps for vehicles.

How do you tell you are talking to a nail bender who can talk well, vs a master woodworker? One hammer vs 20.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#232257 - 09/15/11 11:54 PM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Dagny

But LEDs require batteries, lack ambience, produce little heat and aren't great fire starters.

They do have their place -- in my headlamps and some flashlights

The very best implement is unfortunately technologically obsolete - a carbide lamp. They are fabulous firestarters, do not require batteries, and produce both heat and light.

They do require calcium carbide, which must be kept extremely dry. It is harder and harder to obtain.

#232277 - 09/16/11 10:07 AM Re: Micro Candle Lanterns [Re: Dagny]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Interesting claim by UCO:

"Beeswax produces negative ions that attract pollutants, so these candles actually clean the air."

I wondered about that claim. If an ion attracts a pollutant, where does it go then? If the air in a car is like bath water: both the clean water and the dirt are still in the tub.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.