Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229590 - 08/10/11 11:56 AM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: PSM]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: PSM
Any chance of a LAT/LON grid for us dinosaurs?

I added this good suggestion to my (long) list of possible enhancements for Gmap4. Hard to say when this might bubble up to the top of that list.

#229643 - 08/10/11 10:47 PM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Originally Posted By: Joseph
Originally Posted By: PSM
Any chance of a LAT/LON grid for us dinosaurs?

I added this good suggestion to my (long) list of possible enhancements for Gmap4. Hard to say when this might bubble up to the top of that list.

Thanks, Joseph!

#231996 - 09/13/11 01:04 AM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

I just promoted Gmap4 version 2.1.4 from testing into production. Some of the new features are described below. For a full list of the changes in this version please see http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_whats_new.html

Remember, Gmap4 lives in the cloud and does not require you to download or install anything. Anytime you view a map with Gmap4, you automatically will be using the most recent version.

The big news is that you can now strap on a personal jet pack and fly around in 3D anywhere in the world. (The Gmap4 ‘Search’ feature is a useful way to zip you to the spot where you wish to begin flying.)

You can fly at low altitude over any map that has a GPS track and see the world in 3D. No sweat, no bug bites, no blisters.

All you have to do is download the Gmap4 ‘Help’ pdf file dated September 12, 2011 or more recent and search for ‘Tips for flying’. Anyone can quicky and easily learn to fly with just a mouse by taking a quick trip through flight school by reading those tips. Those tips will show you how to fly over the John Muir Trail in California starting from the summit of Mt. Whitney.

Gmap4 ‘Help’ file: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

In addition, the ‘directions’ feature has been re-written. Right-click the map and then click either ‘Direction from here’ or ‘Direction to here’. After the route appears, you can drag it to make changes. You can build a Gmap4 URL that will open with the directions panel displayed and the destination filled in. This will be useful for helping people obtain directions to a meeting spot. Search the Gmap4 Help file for ‘Tips for using directions’.

Also, information on how to donate has been added to the ‘Action’ menu and the Gmap4 website.

Enjoy!

#232037 - 09/13/11 12:34 PM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Is there a way to print the maps (or selected portions of the map) to the actual scale of the paper topo maps? If there is, how is it set? For example, my Suunto GPS Plotter compass has scales on it to determine where you are in the grid. I had to keep zooming in and out and setting up the page so the printed map matched those markings. IMO, that is the drawback from these types of maps. Your perception of distances gets all outta wack unless these are the ONLY maps you use.

Anyhoo, nice work.

Mike

#232059 - 09/13/11 05:49 PM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: MichaelJ07]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: MichaelJ07
Is there a way to print the maps (or selected portions of the map) to the actual scale of the paper topo maps? If there is, how is it set? For example, my Suunto GPS Plotter compass has scales on it to determine where you are in the grid. I had to keep zooming in and out and setting up the page so the printed map matched those markings. IMO, that is the drawback from these types of maps. Your perception of distances gets all outta wack unless these are the ONLY maps you use.

Anyhoo, nice work.

Mike

Sorry, but my code does not have any way to control the printing.

#232165 - 09/15/11 03:18 AM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

After the September 12th update to Gmap4 I heard from a handful of people that this new version gave them a blank screen and nothing else. For most people the new version worked fine but for an unfortunate few it did not. I want to thank those that spoke up. After all, when things work fine for me, I have no way of knowing that they do not work fine for you unless you tell me. The best way to reach me is to e-mail through my contact page: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_contact.html

Late today I updated the Gmap4 code. If you click Menu ==> About then you will see the date September 14, 2011 (or later).

If you are still having trouble viewing maps with Gmap4, then I have a favor to ask. In addition to updating the code I also put together a short list of easy things that you can try to get the latest version of Gmap4 working on your system. Here’s the favor: Please download the latest copy (dated September 14, 2011) of the ‘Help’ file (http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf) and search that file for ‘tips on flying’. Near the end of that section you will see a heading that starts “Background...”. That section gives you a peek under the hood and suggests several easy/quick things you can do to try and get the current version of Gmap4 working on your system.

Some of those suggestions have worked for others, so I hope if you are having problems that you take a few minutes and give them a try. And if nothing else works, then the last suggestion gives you a link to the prior version of Gmap4 which does not include the new ‘Earth’ feature which seems to be the source of most of the problems.

But since being able to fly over your GPS track (or any other data file) in 3D is easily the coolest feature in Gmap4, I most certainly hope you are able to convince your system to run the current version of Gmap4 so you can waste as much time as I have flying here and there. It’s addictive but - hey - you’ve been warned.

#232259 - 09/16/11 12:24 AM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Joseph
Originally Posted By: MichaelJ07

Anyhoo, nice work.

Mike

Sorry, but my code does not have any way to control the printing.

Ok, Joseph. Thank you for the reply.

#232374 - 09/18/11 02:31 PM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

Gmap4 has been updated to version 2.1.6 dated September 17, 2011.
Homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Reminder: Since Gmap4 lives in the cloud (1) you never have to download or install Gmap4 and (2) you are always automatically using the latest version of the code. But if Gmap4 does not seem to work then please clear your browser’s cache and try again. To see the Gmap4 version number you can click Menu ==> About on any map.

This update fixes the ‘blank screen’ problem that some users experienced after the September 12th update. If you experienced that problem, then please try Gmap4 again.

In order to use the new 3D ‘Earth’ view, your computer system needs to have the Google Earth browser plug-in installed. The Gmap4 code now checks to see if your system already has this plug-in installed. If your computer system does not have this plug-in installed, then you will see a message telling you that and a link to Google where you can download the plug-in if you decide to install it. If you decide to install the plug-in, please follow the instructions in that message. You need a broadband connection and a reasonably modern computer to use the 3D ‘Earth’ view.

Also, your security software might ask you to give permission before this plug-in will work.

If you decide to not install the plug-in, simply close the message window. You can continue using all the other features of Gmap4 except the ‘Earth’ view.

#236842 - 12/05/11 04:29 AM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

Gmap4 has been updated to version 2.2. The full list of changes is posted on the Gmap4 “what's new” page (see hompage link below). Here are some highlights.

First, Gmap4 can add labels to Google maps. The labels are built from the waypoint names in your file. Your existing maps will work with this feature, except KMZ files are not yet supported. Labels can be styled with your own HTML and CSS. The following link displays a GPX file that is hosted at Topofusion and displays with labels turned on. http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.ph...t2&label=on

To open Gmap4 with labels turned on, include this parameter in your Gmap4 URL: &label=on
To toggle the labels after a map is displayed click Menu ==> Label On/Off

You can style the labels with your own HTML and CSS. This label feature works with all the file formats that Gmap4 can read except KMZ files. Label support for KMZ files will be added in a future update.

Below is an example of a map I made with fancy labels. Note that (1) each label is clickable and (2) when you shift to an aerial map view then the labels acquire a solid background so the text does not disappear in shadows on the aerials. This map uses a delimited text file that is hosted at Google Sites.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.ph...13&label=on

Second, a number of features have been added to the delimited text file format that Gmap4 can display. The section of the Gmap4 Help file titled “Delimited text files - Some details” has been completely re-written and now starts with a series of example maps that will let you rapidly learn the basics. If you want the most control over your map, this is the file format to use.

Third, the internet security features of Gmap4 have been enhanced. If you look at a file that causes Gmap4 to display a security-related message on your screen and you think that message is a ‘false positive’, then please go to the Gmap4 contact page and send an email. Include the URL to the map (Menu ==> Show map URL) in your email.

Fourth, Gmap4 can now display files that include a '?' character in the URL for the file.

For more information please see the Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Enjoy!

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

#237753 - 12/22/11 04:01 AM Re: Gmap4 - Surf, search and print 100% free topo maps [Re: Joseph]
Joseph Offline
Stranger

The Gmap4 production code is now version 2.3. This is the first version that includes special features for smartphones and other mobile devices.

1. Gmap4 can now find your location on the map. This service will use some or all of:
* Your IP address
* Cell towers
* Wi-fi hotspots
* Any GPS chip in your phone or other mobile device

Simply open any map in your phone’s browser and then select Menu ==> Findme. You can try this right now on your desktop/laptop just to see how it works. However, your desktop/laptop location will likely not be very accurate since in many cases only your IP address will be used.

You can also build Gmap4 URLs that will automatically run the Findme feature when the map opens. Simply include the parameter ‘findme=on’ in the Gmap4 URL.
Example: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?findme=on

Since Gmap4 uses the Google maps Application Programming Interface (API), this feature only works if your phone’s browser is online to the internet.

Also, because Gmap4 is a web application, you do not need to download or install anything in order to use Gmap4 on your phone. To open Gmap4 on your phone:
A. Open your phone’s browser. (Remember, that browser has to be online.)
B. Do a web search for Gmap4 - the first hit should be the Gmap4 homepage
C. Select the link just under the homepage title. That link opens Gmap4 and displays a map of the world.
D. Select Menu ==> Findme

Of course you can save the Gmap4 URL as a bookmark in your phone’s browser.

Gmap4 does not save your location or report it to anyone. For more details, please search the Gmap4 Help file on ‘mobile’.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

Here are two links with more information if you are curious how this works:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/geolocation/
http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer...9894&src=cb

2. You can turn off the coordinates in the lower right corner

Turning off the coordinate display in the lower right will let you see more of the map. You can toggle that display by selecting Menu ==> UTM - LatLng - Off

To open Gmap4 with that display already off, include the parameter ‘&coord=off’ in the Gmap4 URL
Example: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?findme=on&coord=off

3. Tweaking the mobile interface
Gmap4 is not a ‘native’ app for your phone. Instead, the exact same code that runs in the browser on your desktop/laptop also runs in the browser on your phone. Amazing! But this means my options for improving the interface when running on a phone are somewhat limited. What I can do fairly easily is add buttons. However, each button would cover part of the map.

Question: Are there any features of Gmap4 important enough that they should have their own buttons? One obvious candidate is the ‘Findme’ feature. Any others?

4. The MyTopo maps now display ads in one corner. That was not my idea!
For example, this map shows part of Yellowstone National Park:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=44.461721,-110.832396&z=14&t=t2

The Trimble Company now owns the MyTopo maps. As the 'price' for being allowed to continue displaying the MyTopo maps at no cost, Gmap4 must display Trimble's ad images when the MyTopo maps are on the screen.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.