Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231946 - 09/12/11 05:01 AM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Aussie]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Aussie

Remember that most people who perish in building fires are actually overcome by fumes (gases) from combustion of man made materials, rather that "smoke" or other particles.

That's one of the things that really amazed me about 9/11. There was a ridiculous amount of just nasty soot-laden black smoke. Closest comparison I could make is the smoke that comes from burning tires, but on a massive scale.

My house in NJ is about 15 miles away and you could easily smell it in the air, it was terrible. It's no wonder people got seriously ill from breathing that stuff in.

#231948 - 09/12/11 05:51 AM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Aussie]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Aussie
It seems to me that there are only limited options for air way protection. From what I read it seems to me that the hood style probably offer the best all round convienicnce and protection for EDC ? Certainly a lot less fiddly than a maks and goggles.

Remember that most people who perish in building fires are actually overcome by fumes (gases) from combustion of man made materials, rather that "smoke" or other particles.

The problem with fire hoods are that most are prohibitively expensive ($200) and extremely bulky (12x6x6 or larger), making them difficult to EDC.

The Xscaper does seem to protect against CO and various toxic/acidic gases present in fires. And the kit comes in a 5.5x5.5x2.5" nylon pouch. I keep one on the strap for my EDC bag and it is hardly noticeable.

#231958 - 09/12/11 04:24 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
For a smoke/fire situation, I would choose the Safe Escape smoke hood and the Xcaper mask, depending on the storage space situation. Both are reasonably priced and both handle carbon monoxide, so you get the most bang for your buck with them. And the Safe Escape can provide CO protection for up to an hour, which is a huge step up from most smoke hoods that provide 15-20 minutes of CO protection. Hopefully, we are never put into a situation where you can't escape a fire within 20 minutes, but it's nice to know the extra protection is there.

For extended time in a "dusty" situation, those half-face respirators with an appropriate filter cartridge seem to be the best, and aren't too expensive. In a hot environment, or if you're exerting yourself, sweat is going to take a toll on anything made of paper. The face seal is superior on the respirator, although that could become unbearably uncomfortable in hot situations. And if talking to people is important, the respirator can be problematic, too.

Another situation to keep in mind is wildfires, even for urban/suburbanites, like the ones raging in parts of Texas. Toxic gases like carbon monoxide are not such a big concern if you're any distance from the fire, but ash and particulates would be a major lung irritant.

Although I don't get asthma anymore, I have a history of it, so when one wildfire upwind of my neighborhood was pouring smoke on us for a week, I tried wearing an N-95 mask as much as possible, as well as hunkering indoors as much as possible. It's tough wearing that thing all the time. I could not wear one while sleeping because I would often flip onto my stomach and crush the mask.

I assume it helped to wear it, but even with the mask, I started to develop some asthma around day 5 of living with the smoke. Fortunately, that's about when the smoke started to dissipate. I had never really considered wildfires before then. I had the N_95 in my kit primarily for post-quake use, in some dusty environment.

I expanded my supply of N-95 respirators a few years ago once I considered pandemic use, although in reality, considering that pandemics can last years, with waves that last weeks at a time, that's a lot of N-95 masks, and not really practical to buy that many.

Also, N-100/P-100 masks can take a lot of effort to breathe through, if they are worn properly, with a tight seal. Some people, especially older folks with less than ideal lung function, are going to tire of breathing with any extended wear, so something to keep in mind.

#231966 - 09/12/11 05:59 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Arney]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Arney
Another situation to keep in mind is wildfires, even for urban/suburbanites, like the ones raging in parts of Texas. Toxic gases like carbon monoxide are not such a big concern if you're any distance from the fire, but ash and particulates would be a major lung irritant.

I used a cheapo N95 mask (3M V-flex, I think) to deal with the ash fall during the 07 wildfires. It helped a lot with sucking in particulates, but didn't do anything about the smell.

If I have to pick one mask for EDC bag carry, I'd look for a P95 with odor elimination capabilities and a exhale valve to cut down on fogging up your glasses (e.g. 3M 8577).

Originally Posted By: Arney
Also, N-100/P-100 masks can take a lot of effort to breathe through, if they are worn properly, with a tight seal. Some people, especially older folks with less than ideal lung function, are going to tire of breathing with any extended wear, so something to keep in mind.

That is true about the close fitting 99 and 100 rated masks. NIOSH requires a pulmonary test for any working while wearing the tightly sealed respirators. If you're not in the best of healty or expect a fair amount of exertion (evacuating 5-10 miles on foot), they may not be the best choice.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#231967 - 09/12/11 06:29 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Mark_R]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Please remember the limitations of filtering respirators and filtering masks. None provide breathable air in an oxygen deficient environment.

(Mark not directed at you. Your post was just next on the list)

Pete

#231976 - 09/12/11 08:50 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Mark_R]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
If I have to pick one mask for EDC bag carry, I'd look for a P95 with odor elimination capabilities and a exhale valve to cut down on fogging up your glasses (e.g. 3M 8577).

That's true, an exhalation valve can greatly increase user comfort. And if it helps keep moisture build up down inside the mask, it should help lengthen its usable life.

The only situation I can think of to avoid the exhalation valve is perhaps in a pandemic scenario where you may have some concerns that you may be the one potentially infected and you want to protect those around you, say you have caregiving duties over kids or elders.

Say you've gotten over something that seems like the pandemic disease and you need to get back on your feet but you're not sure if you're still shedding the virus from your lungs. Something like an N-95 will trap the virus particles better than a simple surgical mask. Certainly not foolproof, but it should help if you wear it properly.

That reminds me, I'd like to go see the new movie Contagion. Shhhh, if you've seen it, don't spoil the storyline for me! wink

#232028 - 09/13/11 05:33 AM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I didn't read past the first couple posts but here is my 2 cents. I bought a pair of motorcycle goggles at the Dollar store. They have a foam gasket. Not the best for durability but I have used them in my Jeep in a dust storm and they worked. I EDC a Buff & large bandanna that can be used for breathing barriers, but also have a couple N95 masks in all my vehicles. I have started to carry a Shemagh in my backpack. Not super excited about the look but the results are undeniable if needed.

#232043 - 09/13/11 03:07 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
The 3M 9210 flat-fold N95 respirators are what I've stocked the house and vehicles with. They come individually plastic wrapped, and measure, in the wrap, 1/2" thick, 3-3/4"wide, 9-1/2" long. About the size of an opened empty wallet. One or several easily fit into a briefcase, backpack, fanny pack, BOB. A box of 20 is about $22, I've bought them individually at paint store chains for $2 each.

The 9211 version adds the exhaust valve, which makes longer term use easier. They are twice as thick in the wrapper, and a little more money.

For individuals such as myself who have compensated for a perceived intrinsic lack of manliness by growing a beard, respirators provide little protection due to the poor seal around the perimeter of the mask. My non-NIOSH-approved "solution" to the poor seal is to apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly to the beard before putting on the mask. YMMV. One more item to carry with the mask; one more use for Vaseline.

For lessening offensive odors when the circumstances warrant, applying a layer of Vicks Vaporub on the upper lip/moustache is a help.

#232055 - 09/13/11 04:56 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Famdoc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
With respect to facial hair, it is not just beards that can develop a poor seal. I was wearing my N95 yesterday and realized that a two day growth of stubble, although it might be fashionable, doesn't help the mask seal at all. I guess a disaster is no longer an excuse to skip the daily shave.

#232063 - 09/13/11 06:16 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
This is a useful thread. One request, as you respond, please briefly define the term "EDC" as you imagine it. The term "EDC" for me means what I carry on my person throughout the day. I could compromise here and include what I carry in my brief case. If you're imagining keeping your respirator in your vehicle, then your respirator would have been useless in a 9/11 style attack or similar, and that's the topic of the original post.

If you work in an office building and if you're around your desk a lot, it may be more realistic to store a more effective, more cumbersome mask in your desk. However, I don't consider that option to be EDC.

I don't mean to call anybody out. I'm just looking to make a purchase...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.