The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231981 - 09/12/11 09:28 PM What a Prepared Community Is Like
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The village of Upper Black Eddy, PA, in Upper Bucks County, PA is along the Delaware River.

We've been getting a large number of floods lately:

In fact, in 2011, we've had 4 floods.

In fact, in all of the years from 2000-2009, we had 3 floods, and in 2010-2011 we've had (so far) 5 floods.

So, then, why when I submitted the report to Bucks County this morning was I sending in what was (possibly) the most boring flood impact report ever? Very little major damage. No casualties.

Preparedness.

I'm talking about really taking the task of being prepared for flooding seriously.

For example, how do you keep your furnace from flooding in the basement? You don't. You replace it with a Heat Pump on your roof:

If you can afford it, elevate your home like this one - the whole house was lifted and the garage below created in the space:

If you can't afford to lift the house, when you're rebuilding after a flood, change the way your home is insulated and paneled and floored - this home was restored to "live in" condition not long after the flood waters receded (the water came up higher overnight):

People knew to clear their yards of everything they could - no propane tanks, toys or lawn furnishings left out:

All in all, a community to be proud of. They love their riverfront, and while it's a shame to have so many floods, they are doing the right thing to make it work for them.

#231985 - 09/12/11 09:45 PM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: MartinFocazio]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Are heat pumps these days effective in very cold weather? How does their efficiency compare to gas or oil? I'd always thought of them as a temperate climate solution, but less than ideal in places that get cold winters. All and all an interesting place for sure.

#231987 - 09/12/11 10:38 PM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: roberttheiii]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
With a name like Upper Black Eddy, you somehow suspect that these people are familiar with floods. How did things go in Lower Black Eddy?

#232012 - 09/13/11 03:46 AM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like boring afteractions. It means everything worked.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#232015 - 09/13/11 04:00 AM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Before the hurricane, I put together a few boxes of stuff to drop off at a few family members homes. The boxes had basic storm supplies, like flashlights, battery operated radios, water bottles, cord, ducttape, plastic sheeting, ect. I wanted to make sure that they were equipped, regardless of what they actually had at their house.

Anyway, after the storm, my brother says, "it was nice of you to put all of that stuff together for us, but it was kind of a shame we didn't need to use any of it."

I thought to myself, if that's the worst problem you have after a hurricane, is that you didn't get to use any of your hurricane gear, than that's a pretty good problem to have. grin

#232018 - 09/13/11 04:46 AM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: MartinFocazio]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I find there is no better insurance against disaster than preparedness. In preparation for Irene I did a full maintenance and pre-positioned both my generators, topped-off my fuel supplies and even bought a hurricane tarp for the house. Fortunately, I've not needed to use any of these or other items so far this season.

I know the Black Eddy area. I've stayed several times at the Chestnut Hill B&B in Milford. The Oyster House was one of my favorite dining spots there. Haven't been in many years though, but I know that area is bad with flooding. Did the bridges take any damage?

#232027 - 09/13/11 05:31 AM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Not very newsworthy in the usual sense, was it? Very good!

From your flooding photos there, and the ones from here every so often, one might think that pontoons would be worked into the equation. And a heavy steel cable attached to a very large rock.

Sue

#232034 - 09/13/11 11:38 AM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: MartinFocazio]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Its nice to see folks accepting the reality of the environment they chose and adapting to deal with it. The same thing has happened in the Florida Keys over the years assisted by building codes that require that the first floor of structures contain no furnished living space that are open to allow flood waters (or in their case, the storm surge) to flow around and under the structure which hopefully survives. This has no doubt saved untold millions of dollars in damages. Unfortunately, not all residents believe in the building code and have secretly built in this buffer space to rent out to tourists. I suspect they do so at the peril of having their insurance company deny any claims.

#232039 - 09/13/11 01:17 PM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: roberttheiii]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
Are heat pumps these days effective in very cold weather? How does their efficiency compare to gas or oil? I'd always thought of them as a temperate climate solution, but less than ideal in places that get cold winters. All and all an interesting place for sure.

I have no idea. Quite a few places around here have them.

#232040 - 09/13/11 01:25 PM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: Mark_M]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_M

I know the Black Eddy area. I've stayed several times at the Chestnut Hill B&B in Milford. The Oyster House was one of my favorite dining spots there. Haven't been in many years though, but I know that area is bad with flooding. Did the bridges take any damage?

The Oyster House, which moved from its previous location near the Milford-Upper Black Eddy Bridge into a space along Rt. 519 near the creek was severely damaged when a small dam upstream broke, but they quickly rebuilt and re-opened.

Before:
http://photos.nj.com/hunterdon-photos/2011/09/readers_sent_photos_of_floodin_9.html

After:
http://photos.nj.com/photogallery/2011/09/dam_at_milford_park_2.html

There was flash flooding in Milford as a result. Friends of mine were evacuated at about 2:30 AM when the water started rushing down the aptly-named Water Street.

The recently restored Milford-Upper Black Eddy Bridge sustained no damage whatsoever.

Chestnut Ridge on the Delaware was fine, as was the very nice Bridgeton House on the Delaware, just across the river.

Edited by MartinFocazio (09/13/11 01:26 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.