The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231990 - 09/12/11 11:08 PM Personal Outdoor Plan
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Today while digging around the "net" I came across Paul Kirtley's blog.

Paul states that he is an experienced bushcraft trainer in the UK.

He and others have developed a very complete Personal Outdoor Plan (POP). This is a plan that you leave with that "responsible person" who will call 911 should you not return home on time.

Here is a link to his site.

www.paulkirtley.co.uk/resources/personal-outdoor-plan/

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com
www.outdoorquest.biz

#231993 - 09/13/11 12:13 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

There are a number of similar forms for outdoor trip plans such as the example in the link above. I use a slightly modified version of this form (PDF).

John Lubbock

#231994 - 09/13/11 12:27 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Teslinhiker]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Excellent form.

#231999 - 09/13/11 01:35 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
These are great. Thanks guys!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#232005 - 09/13/11 02:13 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
That's a nice outline.

When travelling, esp in the outback, I also include a description and details about the vehicles, or boats; (and some of the vehicle equipment too eg type repair, tools, spares etc)

Often searchers will start looking from your start point, so quickly being able to identify the location of vehicles is important.

Plus areial searches are common (here), so info that will help spot your vehicle from the air is useful. My vehicle has a few customizations which may assist in spotting it form a distance, or at least rule out other similar models.

I also included the colour and style of tent - to assist in recognition from a distance - "hey look there are 2 blue and one red dome tents over there ..."

or "Here is half a yellow canoe ...."

Edited by Aussie (09/13/11 02:15 AM)

#232007 - 09/13/11 02:38 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Trip plans are a great idea. However, the problem I see with the plan linked in the OP is that it is very long and complex. It might be OK for a planned expedition, but I suspect a lot of folks would not bother doing it for a short weekend trip. As an alternative, here is a link to one posted by the Alaska State Troopers:
http://www.dps.alaska.gov/PIO/docs/WildernessTripPlan.pdf

I tend to be of the KISS mindset ("Keep It Simple, Stupid"). The short trip plan you actually fill out is infinitely superiour to the long one you meant to do...but never got around to because you were in a rush trying to get out the door!

#232022 - 09/13/11 05:15 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Too long and complex...

#232030 - 09/13/11 05:50 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I like the form, its got pretty colors. otherwise and to each their own, I use a much more basic GOTWA. (got-wa)

Where i am GOING (trail, route, distance of run, etc)

Who are the OTHERS with me.

TIME we will be back or will call. (realistic, no problems time back)

WHAT i/we will do if there is an emergency (i.e. injured or lost) (stay put, or which direction we would most likely move if lost, like towards a river or main road- i.e. handrail.)

ACTIONS to take if we don't contact you or get back on time. (I usually add a few hours to my TIME estimate, then list the park office phone number, local sheriff or PD #, ph# of friends with me or there spouses at home. Think phone tree)

-------
Now, I personally write down my gear list to use as a check list as i pack my bag.Instead of throwing it away i attach it to the GOTWA.

#232031 - 09/13/11 06:20 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
A quick form is better than no form, I admit I only do a detailed intentions for a big trip.

On a short trip (few days or a week) it isn't always worth much effort - after all, what could possibly go wrong ?

However this thread started me thinking about knocking up a quick Android app to automatically send an email. I could use tick boxes with my favourite options as default, add a few words and email it as I travell ..... hmmmmmm

#232033 - 09/13/11 07:27 AM Re: Personal Outdoor Plan [Re: Aussie]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Aussie
However this thread started me thinking about knocking up a quick Android app to automatically send an email. I could use tick boxes with my favourite options as default, add a few words and email it as I travell ..... hmmmmmm
On my iphone I have an app called "Basic GPS". It enables one to easily send an email with your current gps location, and a link to that location on Google maps. One can add a short message.

I sometimes head off to do a solo day hike, without being exactly sure when I leave home which trail I'm going to head out on. Using that app I can shoot my wife an email when I leave the trailhead. At least she then knows where the car is parked, when I left the car, and where to have SAR start searching should I not show up back at home.

The only weakness is that it only works when there is cell coverage at the trailhead, which is not always the case.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.