Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#232322 - 09/16/11 09:40 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"These synthetics provide flash protection, in that they will not melt to the skin"

Pete - thanks for the helpful clarification.
Those particular words were sobering :-)

Les - I do have biker gear. Fire might destroy the gear, but I wonder how fast? Seems like that if you had a thick jacket & pants, plus Nomex gloves (with insulation) and some reasonable face protection, the rescue I'm describing might be possible. Of course - it's easy to say all this when sitting in front of a computer. But it's probably a whole different story at the accident scene.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (09/16/11 09:43 PM)

#232324 - 09/16/11 09:53 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Pete2.. it's been so hot down here, I don't even wear my open weave Joe Rocket jacket, much less the HD jacket I got when I bought the Sportster...it's like riding in a turbo oven... the full face Shoei saved me when I decided to jump off the DL1000 and lead with my head (pneumothorax is now on my resume)... my FJR is a rocketship!

#232431 - 09/19/11 03:46 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
...I was wondering in my mind if the safety hoods mentioned in this thread might have a chance of withstanding strong heating from a fire for about 30-45 secs ... just long enough to smash a back window of a burning car and extract a child.

I read about that car accident the other day. Tragic. However, these products, like the Draeger or Safe Escape, are smoke hoods, and not intended to withstand direct flames for any length of time. There's also a good chance that if the surrounding air is hot enough to burn you severely, the air from the filter may also be hot enough to burn your lungs. The filters on these smoke hoods do not have any capacity to significantly cool incoming air.

This is probably something that may freak out someone who actually has to use a smoke hood in a fire. They may think that putting on a hood should somehow provide cool, clean air to breathe but it turns out to be hot, too. ParamedicPete mentioned staying out of oxygen deprived areas because they don't carry any oxygen on board. You also need to stay out of areas that are too hot when using these smoke hoods.

For the scenario you described, a big extinguisher might be more useful in buying some precious seconds to extricate a trapped child rather than going into the flames with just a flame-resistant hood on, to say the least of the rest of your unprotected body, like your hands/arms.

#232440 - 09/19/11 05:42 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Arney]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Arney - good suggestion. Thanks for the reminder on inhaling hot air - I need to keep that in mind. I'll look into reasonable prices for larger fire extinguishers.

BTW, I really need to brush up my knowledge of basic firefighting. I looked at the larger extinguishers for sale on the Internet (e.g. 4-pound fire extinguisher). They apparently spray monoammonium phosphate on a fire. Is this effective for fires that ignite from spilled gasoline? What are the pro's and con's?

cheers,
Pete2

Edited by Pete (09/19/11 05:51 PM)

#232458 - 09/19/11 08:08 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

When I came on the job,we fought fires without hoods or bunker gear, and somehow we survived and the fires went out.The gear IS good, also heavier,harder to move, and hotter. It keeps the heat in so we over heat,but over all it does protect well.

What do I keep in my cars gear wise ? Nothing. Ok I got some old gloves. A 5 pound ABC ext. to put a small fire out but thats about it .

#232466 - 09/19/11 09:14 PM Re: Effective Personal Breathing Protection ? [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The ones I looked at are rated for B - flammable liquids, also for solids (A) and electrical (C). That is generally the kind of extinguisher to obtain.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.