Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231478 - 09/06/11 02:03 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
I like the cleaning cable inside the fuel line, don't think my omnifuel or brunton af even have one.
The advantage of the Omnifuel is that it has a valve at the burner which allows for simmering. The advantage of the Whisperlite is that it's less expensive, quieter, and lighter.

I haven't spent a lot of time scouring the lines of any of my MSR stoves, but I usually do a flip stop which purges the line. See the fourth video down on my blog for a demonstration of the flip stop. If you've got an Omnifuel, I imagine that you already know what I'm talking about.

HJ

#231481 - 09/06/11 02:27 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Yes I know about the flip stop, but it's still nice to have that cable I imagine. If either of mine somehow plugged up at the line, I'd have no way to clean it (it doesn't unscrew either). I'll probably never need it, but I'm one of those rather have it than not person.

#231487 - 09/06/11 03:21 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Yes I know about the flip stop, but it's still nice to have that cable I imagine. If either of mine somehow plugged up at the line, I'd have no way to clean it (it doesn't unscrew either). I'll probably never need it, but I'm one of those rather have it than not person.
Makes sense, and I know guys who have absolutely had to use the scouring cable.

HJ

#231488 - 09/06/11 03:24 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I took the MSR Whisperlite Universal out to the East Fork of the San Gabriel River today for some field trials. The more I use it, the more I like it.

HJ

#231502 - 09/06/11 01:02 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Can you use the butane/propane gas cartridge adapter that is supplied with the Whisperlite Universal with the Primus Omnifuel Pump?

#231503 - 09/06/11 01:50 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Can you use the butane/propane gas cartridge adapter that is supplied with the Whisperlite Universal with the Primus Omnifuel Pump?
Yes. Or, well, I'm pretty sure anyway. I haven't tried it. Maybe tonight I'll give it a go.

HJ

#231504 - 09/06/11 01:57 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Is there an included stand that will allow you to invert the canisters for liquid feed? (Im guessing no from what I see in the picture)

#231506 - 09/06/11 02:06 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: speedemon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Stand? What Stand? We don' need no stinking stand?....

Seriously, just turn it over and go. If necessary, prop it with a rock or something..

#231511 - 09/06/11 03:08 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: speedemon]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: speedemon
Is there an included stand that will allow you to invert the canisters for liquid feed? (Im guessing no from what I see in the picture)
There is an included stand in all of the official documentation I've seen from MSR. However, when MSR sent me a copy of the stove for the purposes of my doing a review, the stand was missing.

So, I can't comment from first hand experience about the stand, but it definitely will be part of the package when the stove becomes available to the public.

HJ

#231513 - 09/06/11 03:18 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Stand? What Stand? We don' need no stinking stand?....

Seriously, just turn it over and go. If necessary, prop it with a rock or something..
Yeah, pretty much.

Some of us have been using MSR stoves with the canister upside down (for cold weather) for some time. It's sort of the undocumented feature (and a very nice feature indeed) of MSR gas stoves. People "in the know" were aware of the capability, but the general public was not. The standard practice was to just flip the darn canister over and go. The old Rapidfire had kind of a stiff coupler that would hold the canister upside down, no problem, and was great for inverted canister use. The newer Windpro was a little trickier, especially with larger canisters, but like Hikemor says, just use a rock or something to lean the canister against.

I can't for the life of me understand why MSR hasn't heretofore publicized the ability of their Windpro (and now Whisperlite Universal) to run with the canister upside down. Running upside down allows one to run down to about 0F/-18C on gas. That's so much better than struggling along with an upright canister stove that can only go down to about 20F/-7C over the life of the entire canister (yes, you can go lower with a fresh canister). I would have thought that MSR would have marketed the heck out of a capability like that, but perhaps they were worried about liability?

HJ

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.