Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#231805 - 09/10/11 04:32 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Great review, now if MSR made it out of titanium alloy, was priced below a Primus Omnifuel and had a compatible connection to work with a Primus Pump/Bottle (not the same old plastic MSR one) then I might consider getting one. wink

Actually, the Whisperlite Universal (WLU) has everything you've listed (except the titanium). It's lighter, quieter, cheaper, and it does indeed work with an Omnifuel pump. In fact, it should work with any fuel pump with a male 7/16" UNEF threaded connector (the type found on standard threaded canisters such as those from MSR, Primus, Jetboil, etc.)

I took out my Omnifuel and the WLU earlier this evening. I pulled the pump from the Omni, hooked it up to the canister attachment of the WLU, and off I went. I actually got the best simmer (using white gasoline) on this arrangement that I've seen on any Whisperlite since the shaker jet was introduced. For whatever reason, the pre-shaker jet Whisperlite was a better simmering stove, but the WLU comes darned close. Running the WLU on liquid fuel with the MSR canister adapter was really sweet. The MSR canister adapter turns very smoothly. I could pretty easily dial in that flame, within the limits of the stove. On kerosene, the stove doesn't simmer worth beans.

How does it compare with the Omnifuel? It certainly seems to be a quieter stove overall.
Definitely quieter. A lot quieter.

Photos to follow,

HJ

#231933 - 09/11/11 11:31 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Definitely quieter. A lot quieter.

Thanks for the review once again. How does the Whisperlite Universal compare for noise volume if using an Omnidawg cap? Do you also know the BTU rating for both i.e. the Whisperlite Universal versus the Omnifuel + Omnidawg. I'm still trying to convince myself the extra weight penalty of the Omnifuel + Omnidawg setup is still worthwhile when used for white gas (coleman fuel) operation at very low temperatures for melting snow and ice with an Etapower pot wink

The Whisperlite Universal looks to be a very nice all round compromise though for performance, weight, use of various fuels etc i.e. A great all rounder. A titanium version sold on its own allowing the customer to choose the external pump/fuel bottle setup of their choice (if they decide cartridge gas doesn't cut the mustard for low temperature operation or expedition unavailability as a later date purchase), I'm sure would be a popular addition to the MSR line up.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/11/11 11:31 PM)

#231935 - 09/12/11 12:25 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the review once again. How does the Whisperlite Universal compare for noise volume if using an Omnidawg cap?
If you've got an OmniDawg cap and a Primus Omnifuel, stick with that combination. As much as I think MSR has done a super job with the new WLU, the Omnifuel is still the better stove, and with an OmniDawg it is as quiet or quieter than a Whisperlite. There are however drawbacks to the OmniDawg, not with the product itself (hardly!), but rather with cost and availability. OmniDawg's are made by hand by one individual in his non-commercial shop when he has time, and they can cost double the price of the stove or more. People who have seen one of the "Dawg" line of caps go nuts for the amazing craftsmanship, and they really reduce the volume of sound, but that (plus limited availability) drive the price up. I have an acquaintance who is a machinist, and his jaw dropped in amazement when I showed him a DragonTamer (the DragonTamer is to the MSR DragonFly what the OmniDawg is to the Primus Omnifuel).

HJ

#231936 - 09/12/11 12:35 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Do you also know the BTU rating for both i.e. the Whisperlite Universal versus the Omnifuel + Omnidawg.
I don't think anyone knows either BTU rating. The Omnifuel + OmniDawg cap is a custom modification. I've talked to several people whose opinion I respect who are fellow stove collectors. The consensus is that the OmniDawg does increase the output of the Omnifuel, but by how much is anyone's guess.

Probably MSR has a BTU rating for the Whisperlite, but I'm not privy to that information.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that a WLU puts out about 11,000 BTU, and that an Omnifuel with an OmniDawg puts out about 12,000 BTU. That is just a (somewhat) educated guess.

HJ

#231937 - 09/12/11 12:40 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The Whisperlite Universal looks to be a very nice all round compromise though for performance, weight, use of various fuels etc i.e. A great all rounder.
That's sort of my take on the stove. If one is a "I just need to melt snow and boil water" hard-core mountaineer, the XGK with its battle-tested hardiness will still be a good choice, but for many the versatility, price, and features of the WLU will make the new Whisperlite a popular choice.

I ran more tests yesterday morning. I have to say that the new Whisperlite, the WLU, is the best valve-at-the-fuel-bottle simmering stove that I've seen from MSR. No, it doesn't simmer like a valve-at-the-burner-stove such as an Omnifuel or a Dragonfly, but the WLU has a pretty controllable flame for what it is and is much improved when compared to the current Whisperlite Classic and Whisperlite Internationale.

HJ

#231941 - 09/12/11 02:47 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

And, as promised, photos of an MSR stove (WLU) running with an Omnifuel pump.

All hooked up.

All fired up.

Just about tea time.

It's tea time, baby!

Breakfast is served!

Now, you must excuse me. I'm really quite hungry.

HJ

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.