The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#231939 - 09/12/11 02:10 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Ian]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ian
I had a friend (long dead I am afraid) who was captured by the Japanese and spent most of WW2 in a prisoner of war camp.

I once asked him what he had most missed and he replied that it was his mug which had been left in the vehicle when captured, together with the rest of his kit, and he had not been allowed to collect.

He said that having a mug would halved the deprivations of the camp.

It's quite dreadful to hear this: if such a small item would have provided that much comfort, the conditions were terrible indeed. Very sorry for your friend.

At the same time, I can't help but imagine what uses he might have put the mug to? I assume you can use it to contain food, either for immediate consumption or for storage. You can also use it to store other stuff. Perhaps for morale. Maybe trading for something you urgently need. I can't see using a mug for digging. Did your friend ever explain?

Da Bing, who thinks the tin cup might turn into his easy addiCtion

Edited by Bingley (09/12/11 02:10 AM)

#231949 - 09/12/11 05:58 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: hikermor]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Around my canteen, either a Nalgene 1L bottle or a Gatorade 1 qt bottle, I place a Snowpeak 700 (cc) cup/pot. It fits quite snugly, with just enough space to accommodate a windscreen. I can heat/sterilize all the water I need and cook all my meals in this container. For once, this is a valid use for titanium.

You can also fit a 110g fuel canister, gas stove, mini-bic lighter and a small pack towel inside one and still close the lid. Or an alcohol stove, wind screen, lighter, folding spork and small towel. One of my favorite bits of gear, I have several.

#231950 - 09/12/11 09:39 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
A nalgene bottle will nest in an Olicamp stainless cup. You can then take both the Nalgene and the Olicamp stainless cup and nest both of those inside a Zebra 12cm Billy Pot (without the billy pot's lid).

http://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Space-Saver-Cup/dp/B0059QHNWS

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/Zebra-Loop-Handle-Billy-Pot-12-cm-zebra-billy-12.htm

#231959 - 09/12/11 04:49 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*grins* I EDC a Space Saver Cup, and have one in my ditch kit. They are very nice, but I'm looking for the Space Saver Mug (24 vs 16 oz) but they seem to have been a limited run item.

Hot tip- if you have a side cutting can opener, find a coffee can. The ends are the right size to serve as a lid for both the Olicamp and GSI cups (same parent company I think).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#231962 - 09/12/11 05:02 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, good info. For the record if anyone from Snow Peak reads this -- You need lids for the Snow Peak Titanium Double-Wall Cup, both 450 & 600. What's the point of a double wall mug if it just cools down due to having no lid?

#231965 - 09/12/11 05:43 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Evernew has just such a setup for their double wall cup that is about this size. It comes with a gorgeous flexible lid that securely snaps onto the rim. The problem is that, perhaps due to differential expansion when holding liquids, there is a persistent dribble when in use.

Otherwise, it is a very fine, well insulated cup. Without the lid, you are encouraged to quaff your liquid and hit the trail. No dawdling around camp......

#231972 - 09/12/11 07:52 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Around my canteen, either a Nalgene 1L bottle or a Gatorade 1 qt bottle, I place a Snowpeak 700 (cc) cup/pot. It fits quite snugly, with just enough space to accommodate a windscreen. I can heat/sterilize all the water I need and cook all my meals in this container. For once, this is a valid use for titanium.

I was about to post the very same thing, good thing I read the thread. A Gatorade 1 quart fits perfectly with just a little slack, the Nalgene is a little looser but no biggie. It's a wonderfully lightweight version of an excellent setup. It saves a lot of weight over a Lexan Nalgene and a stainless steel cup.

The SnowPeak Hot Lips gadget is overpriced but it works well.

#231979 - 09/12/11 09:19 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

This lengthy thread from last year has 19 pages of good ideas and thoughts on the best pot/cup/container for just about any needs...

John Lubbock

#231991 - 09/12/11 11:33 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
For the record if anyone from Snow Peak reads this -- You need lids for the Snow Peak Titanium Double-Wall Cup, both 450 & 600. What's the point of a double wall mug if it just cools down due to having no lid?

There you go, Snowpeak have fixed it for you...if only for the 300ml and 450ml double walled ti mugs wink

http://www.snowpeak.com/450ml-mug-insulation-lid-mgc-053.html

#231995 - 09/13/11 12:39 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
The simple cup (titanium) became one of my quests last winter. Here's my Snow Peak Trek 700. Weighs 4.8 ounces. No more day hikes outside the Beltway without this cup/pot in my pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/708071/snow-peak-titanium-trek-700-mug

This REI titanium "Sierra Cup" is with me whenever my dog is because it is her drinking cup. To my surprise, after years of carrying them online and in their stores, REI is not currently selling this item. They are still selling a stainless version.

http://www.rei.com/product/607224/evernew-titanium-sierra-style-cup

Attachments
DSC_4068.JPG

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.