The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231768 - 09/09/11 05:57 PM Lost hunter survives on worms for five days
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...nting-trip.html

A man who became separated from his friends in dense forest during a squirrel hunting trip in western Tennessee says he ate worms and drank muddy water to survive five days in the wild before he was found.

Bill Lawrence said he gathered rainwater in his hunting vest and tried.... <snip>

#231778 - 09/09/11 08:35 PM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: NuggetHoarder]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
And this boys and girls is what not to do when lost. Don't wander aimlessly, instead, hug a tree.

No way of making fire (well, there was, but not to his way of thinking), no food, inadequate water, no PSK... the list goes on and on. A great lesson in what not to do.

The comments under the article are priceless.

#231797 - 09/10/11 01:54 AM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am so glad he had a "can of dipping tobacco." A man has got to get his priorities straight. So much more useful than fire making equipment.

I am wondering how he walked 35 miles to reach a road three miles (about two hours walk at a very slow pace) away.

#231800 - 09/10/11 02:34 AM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: NuggetHoarder]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, guess I'll eat some worms!

really? Couldn't just go a few days w/o food? Good for morale maybe, but one wonders the true caloric input.

why not eat some squirrel? Wasn't that why he was there in the first place? And this may sound dumb, but if you've got a gun, you don't really need to chase the squirrels. Especially the apparent miles that he did to be out of sound with his "buddies."

Man, so many things wrong it's not even funny. With the usual caveat that we don't hear everything on the news.

#231819 - 09/10/11 03:12 PM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: MDinana]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Give the man some credit. Properly equipped or not he showed gut's, detemination and survived.
SAR probably expected to recover remains at that point.

#231821 - 09/10/11 03:22 PM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What parasites did he consume along with those worms? Worms are way down on my list of things to eat. Going without for a few days would be preferable.
Quote:
...He was taking antibiotics because of the things he ate in the forest. ...

#231827 - 09/10/11 04:47 PM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: Russ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Probably the usual suspects.
Do you what really gripes me about this? [b]Everyone on this forum except me diss's Bear Grylls at every possible oppitunity, but he, at least, has the brains to carry a reliable fire starter and a metal mug to cook or boil in. [ /b]

Enough said, I think.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (09/10/11 04:48 PM)

#231828 - 09/10/11 04:50 PM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
He's too stupid to be allowed outdoors off a leash, much less be allowed to carry a firearm! I wonder if it was really water that he had in those bottles?

Google Maps shows the park has a river on the west side and the road down the east side. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Shotgun for squirrels? Not much of a shot, either, apparently.

Apparently he never thought of using the worms as bait.

He's a Darwin Award waiting to happen. Bill Lawrence -- remember that name.

Sue

#231837 - 09/10/11 06:59 PM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: MDinana]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Even these hunters got themselves a better meal than worms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goARbRuLAVo

grin

#231856 - 09/11/11 12:27 AM Re: Lost hunter survives on worms for five days [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Even these hunters got themselves a better meal than worms

Looking at this guy's choice of food items. it is safe to say we will not order what he's having. Worms are pretty far down our list of things to eat.

However, animal protein is animal protein. He did receive some nourishment - whether it was really necessary in his case is a different matter.

In a survival situation, we must remember to set aside our learned food preferences and broaden our food choices and treat our palates to some new food sensations.

There are plenty of groups who eat things most of us would consider disgusting - ants, termites, etc. Western culture apparently has a thing against insects, but they are evidently quite nutritious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.