Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231703 - 09/08/11 11:52 PM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Susan,

Do you drive the same Suburban every time?

Could you break a few things out into pouches that you could put on your backpack's hip belt and shoulder belts?

Perhaps the pouches could be stuffed under the seats. I'm thinking a pouch that has some energy bars. Another that has essentials such as are in Doug's PSK.

Sounds like you often have passengers - would that be good or bad when an earthquake strikes? That many more peops in the vehicle needing water and food....

But I'd rather not be alone. Depends on the peops, I guess.

#231704 - 09/08/11 11:54 PM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Dagny]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Hi Sue - interesting dilemma. I had something perhaps peripherally related (way LESS drama than your scenario), but perhaps something that can apply.

Snowbound/stuck in traffic on interstate. http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post217978

The maddening thing for us was, with a nearly full gas tank, never turned off the car, never cold or in the dark, functioning radio, functioning smart phones for calls and Internet connection, we could get almost ZERO relevant information...we were within probably a half mile or less of an exit. Were they working to clear the roads so we could exit to surface streets and bypass the traffic jam and make it home? Were we going to have to resign ourselves to staying the night in the car?

We could never get any answer on that - no online news, no radio reports, even repeated calls to local and state police non-emergency lines (which were swamped) could give us any indication that any resources were coming our way to help get us off the interstate. The police of the city we were approaching the exit of appeared to have no idea that clearing a handful of stuck cars/trucks might open up the exit we could almost see.

So, getting that kind of information is really key to making your decision, but you may find that almost any kind of technology won't get you the answer you need. At least, that was my experience in this case.

Another time, years ago, during the '03 blackout, an AM/FM radio was all that was needed to get the right info. I was stuck in a subway car (above ground) and news reports eventually made it clear there wouldn't be any return of power in the near term - so I could make the decision to hoof it (and convince some people determined to wait for the next train there wouldn't be one).

Good luck in your planning

Dave

#231715 - 09/09/11 01:21 AM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: DaveT]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: DaveT

So, getting that kind of information is really key to making your decision, but you may find that almost any kind of technology won't get you the answer you need. At least, that was my experience in this case.

Information is exactly why having and using a highly capable digital scanner is so helpful. Hearing the agencies around you as they respond gives you nearly instant information on the situation. They aren't inexpensive and can be complex to program but it's the next best thing to being there.

With sites like RadioReference.com you have all the info you need to program the radio. (I do this for my commute and for any roadtrips I have planned. Including Colorado to Seattle and back last Christmas.)

#231721 - 09/09/11 02:26 AM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, I drive the same one every time.

I actually have two stashes, one is under the middle seat. But they'll be dumping my rig in less than 50,000 miles, so I'll either get a newer Suburban or one of the Chevy vans (*gag*). But the newer Suburbans have less stash space than mine. They have absolutely NO space under the seats. For such a large vehicle, they have no storage space other than the rear compartment.

I'm usually alone half the time. I'm hoping that I don't have anyone with me at the time. All of them except one live north, and I live south. There could be some conflict there!

Sue

#231725 - 09/09/11 04:08 AM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Susan]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Just FYI, Interstates were never designed to be runways.

Here's a little info on where the myth may have originated.
http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5305&start=0

#231726 - 09/09/11 04:16 AM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Susan]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
In my part of the world they plant close growing trees too, but their purpose (apart from aesthetics and noise reduction) are to act as a barrier "net" to slow down and stop an out of control vehicle.

Consequently the type of trees chosen tend to be (relatively) small, narrow trunk species, rather than big heavy trunked trees which would stop a vehicle like a brick wall.

So perhaps you could add a saw to your kit; it would take time, but perhaps you could cut your way out ? With a Suburban (in low), you may even be able to push through, or half cut the trunks then push through ?

If you abandon your vehicle, it would be best to move it as far off the side of the road as possible. That way it will not block other vehicles and is less likely to be damaged if authorities start to “push” abandoned vehicles off the road. If you do need to abandon it on the road, leave the keys in it – what have you got to lose ?

#231729 - 09/09/11 05:30 AM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The trees here are usually Douglas fir and alder. It would be a job cutting them down.

Sue

#231740 - 09/09/11 12:19 PM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Susan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Well, with this massive blackout in the San Diego region (and which almost reached my neighborhood in Orange County), there's another reason to end up stuck on the freeway. I was reading this USA Today article on it, and someone mentioned that they saw a dozen drivers back up on the freeway to reach an exit behind them because they didn't want to sit in gridlock up ahead. Yeah, that's smart.

#231750 - 09/09/11 02:30 PM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: Susan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, I would start out with the assumption that after a decent sized quake in this area cars will be paralyzed.

-john

#231754 - 09/09/11 03:17 PM Re: Interstate 5: It's a chute! [Re: LesSnyder]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
for vehicle support...good pair of jumper cables, full size spare, tire plug kit. . . .

Instead of a tire plug kit, I recommend a can of Fix-A-Flat. It is easy to use and it will get you to a garage that will patch a flat tire rather than plug it. Of course, when you get to the garage, inform them that you used Fix-A-Flat. Fix-A-Flat does not harm your tire but you need to inform them for their safety.

Plugging a tire will damage it because air will get between the inner and outer layer and cause a rupture.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.