The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#231709 - 09/09/11 12:14 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: Eric]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Eric
Hello and welcome,

Lots of good inputs so far. Only real suggestion I have would be maybe a small USB thumb drive (or sd or even smaller a mini sd card) for electronic copies of your emergency binder contents.

For fire and signaling you could use a spark lite and one tinder from the package. Maybe throw in a birthday candle?

I could home brew a small flashlite as part of the kit if modifying the tin is acceptable.

-Eric

Eric you know having a USB or SD card with important documents included would never have crossed my mind. Normally when I do survival kits its for the wilderness. Including either of those in an urban kit is really smart. I'm gonna have to jot this down in my kit notes. Thanks

#231710 - 09/09/11 12:20 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: Aussie]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Aussie
Good ideas.

I don't think the mini glow sticks throw much light, they are good as markers, but I don't think you could count on them for actual illumination.

I'm pretty keen on rescue for my kit, so fishing etc are not priority. I'd focus on fire and signalling:

mirror - you can cut down an existing perspex or glass mirror, sand the sharp corners.

mini whistle

mini-fire steel, or some wproof matches and striker or a Ranger Rick sparker or cut down a sparklite - you may need to trim the lengths to fit ?

Tinder - I'd go for something wproof again, like quiktinder etc or cotton wool with wax (rather than PJ which can be sticky)

Inspired by Eric, you could include a LED (ie just the "bulb" from as electronics shop) and a button battery to improvise a light, you couldn't get much smaller than that.

I agree with you about the glow stick now that more though has been put in it. When I first saw it I said to myself,"I would have never thought of that." A way to think outside the box. The plain LED bulb and battery seems so much more useful. The only problem I see is you would have to hold the bulb to the battery and that could become annoying unless there was something in the kit that could be used to fashion it together, maybe thread or tape? Any thoughts?

#231711 - 09/09/11 12:21 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: kristina27

As for the light issue Aussie has a very appealing idea with the naked LED light and battery. I one wanted an actual light that would definitely work.

Have a look here for some inspiration:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Led-Scaries/step2/Attach-led-to-battery/

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/

Of course you don't need the magnets

#231713 - 09/09/11 12:38 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: Aussie]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Aussie

As for the light issue Aussie has a very appealing idea with the naked LED light and battery. I one wanted an actual light that would definitely work.

Have a look here for some inspiration:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Led-Scaries/step2/Attach-led-to-battery/

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/

Of course you don't need the magnets

Thanks Aussie. I'm having a Homer moment right now. Its so simple its ridiculous. And of course duct tape would be present in my kit.

#231714 - 09/09/11 12:43 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia

I'm having a Homer moment right now. Its so simple its ridiculous. And of course duct tape would be present in my kit.

Doh ! wink

#235766 - 11/17/11 02:03 PM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
jet Offline
Enthusiast

kristina27,

I am an old-timer who hasn't contributed to these forums in years, but I saw your post and it got me feeling nostalgic.

Back in 2003 I posted about a Micro PSK which I packed into a little Altoids "Tiny Tin." That post, Re: New PSK tin!, contained an image of the contents I managed to squeeze into that kit. The idea was that I carried a lot of stuff in my pockets anyway, so I just wanted to add a few small items.

I later made an improved version in a slightly taller tin and kept it with my EDC gear for well over a year, just because it was fun! I don't really remember any more just now long I carried it, but quite a while. I liked it because 1) the extra volume allowed me to include a couple of water procurement tools without sacrificing any of the contents from the first kit, 2) it kept all the many small items together, organized and out of the way, and 3) it was still small enough to be convenient.

At the time I wrote up two web pages to show more detail about how I managed the packing. Archived copies of those pages are still available for viewing online. The first page is just images. The second chronicles more of my thinking. They're out of date, but I offer them to share that, yes, back in the day I took up the challenge and still think the results are worthy.

My First Micro PSK · In An Altoid's "Tiny Tin"

and

My Second Micro PSK · Contents And Packing Order

Stay safe,
J.T.

#235770 - 11/17/11 06:20 PM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

lol I actually use a mini-tin as a subkit inside a tobacco tin sized kit, to hold all the little bits and pieces.

It really is like a little match box. I keep a roll of duct tape, my fishing gear, a ferro rod/magnesium rod, an LED light, two curved needles, safety pins, eyelit screws, and tinder quik in there.

Not really stand alone but great for sub compartmentalizing stuff.

#235772 - 11/17/11 06:30 PM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Jet..the cord on the outside of a small kit is one of the best ideas i have run across.

#235779 - 11/17/11 07:25 PM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Jet..the cord on the outside of a small kit is one of the best ideas i have run across.

GREAT idea!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.