Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231648 - 09/07/11 10:08 PM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi kristina, welcome to the group. As everyone has said you'll find us a good lot, so don't be afraid to ask questions even if they seem stupid. I've asked a few myself along with every one else here at some point.

I've been toying around with the idea of using Altoids small tins myself and came across these . Maybe these can give everybody some ideas

#231654 - 09/08/11 12:43 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: Cauldronborn2]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2
Hi kristina, welcome to the group. As everyone has said you'll find us a good lot, so don't be afraid to ask questions even if they seem stupid. I've asked a few myself along with every one else here at some point.

I've been toying around with the idea of using Altoids small tins myself and came across these . Maybe these can give everybody some ideas

Cauldronborn2 this site is awesome. Almost a survival kit paradise. Their example of the Mini Altoid Kit is right on. I think this example is the most complete that it could be. On second thought I wonder if a condom would fit for water collection. I really like the glow stick. I would have never thought of using that. When I think light source I think flash light.

#231656 - 09/08/11 01:11 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
If you liked that site you should take a look at another called survival resources. They stock survival kits and all the things you need to make your own.

It's run by a guy called John McCann, one person here Izzyg99 has a blog (timbuk 2 and tippy canoe) where they have reviews of some of his stuff.

Oh, and I think those mini glow sticks are the ones you can get to go on the end of fishing rods. You could probably get them in any sports store that sell fishing gear. That said a small flashlight would be better

#231658 - 09/08/11 01:50 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'd try to fit it fire, sharp, light, sound and water but the how is tricky.

Fire: A mini fire steel - maybe the striker part of a magnesium block or a couple of wooden matches and a cotton ball to go with it.

Sharp: A scalpel or a blade from one of those artsy exacto knives?

Light: A photon would probably be too big... Can't think of anything else that would be worth the space.

I once had a tiny brass whistle that would fit nicely and leave a little room but I'm not sure how loud it was. (Can't find it now to check.)

Water - a few micropur tabs and a breast MILK bag?

Navigation - throw in a needle to use as a compass.

Signalling - polish the whole thing for signaling

Extras - wrap it in paracord, add some fishing line and then wrap those in duct tape.

Edited by bacpacjac (09/09/11 02:25 AM)
Edit Reason: breast mile bag? breast mike bag? geesh! ;)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231666 - 09/08/11 03:52 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Water - a few micropur tabs and a breast mile bag?

Never judge a man until you've walked a mile with his breast bag.

DB

#231667 - 09/08/11 04:00 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Hello and welcome,

Lots of good inputs so far. Only real suggestion I have would be maybe a small USB thumb drive (or sd or even smaller a mini sd card) for electronic copies of your emergency binder contents.

For fire and signaling you could use a spark lite and one tinder from the package. Maybe throw in a birthday candle?

I could home brew a small flashlite as part of the kit if modifying the tin is acceptable.

-Eric

#231668 - 09/08/11 04:24 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: kristina27]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Good ideas.

I don't think the mini glow sticks throw much light, they are good as markers, but I don't think you could count on them for actual illumination.

I'm pretty keen on rescue for my kit, so fishing etc are not priority. I'd focus on fire and signalling:

mirror - you can cut down an existing perspex or glass mirror, sand the sharp corners.

mini whistle

mini-fire steel, or some wproof matches and striker or a Ranger Rick sparker or cut down a sparklite - you may need to trim the lengths to fit ?

Tinder - I'd go for something wproof again, like quiktinder etc or cotton wool with wax (rather than PJ which can be sticky)

Inspired by Eric, you could include a LED (ie just the "bulb" from as electronics shop) and a button battery to improvise a light, you couldn't get much smaller than that.

#231675 - 09/08/11 09:50 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Water - a few micropur tabs and a breast mile bag?

Never judge a man until you've walked a mile with his breast bag.

DB

LOL! Thanks DB! I needed that this morning.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231706 - 09/09/11 12:08 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: Cauldronborn2]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2
If you liked that site you should take a look at another called survival resources. They stock survival kits and all the things you need to make your own.

It's run by a guy called John McCann, one person here Izzyg99 has a blog (timbuk 2 and tippy canoe) where they have reviews of some of his stuff.

Oh, and I think those mini glow sticks are the ones you can get to go on the end of fishing rods. You could probably get them in any sports store that sell fishing gear. That said a small flashlight would be better

I'm having Deja-vu, I think I've been to this site once before. Thanks for reminding me of it. Definitely a good collection of supplies across the board.

#231708 - 09/09/11 12:11 AM Re: Hello and Mini Altoid Tin Challenge [Re: bacpacjac]
kristina27 Offline

I'd try to fit it fire, sharp, light, sound and water but the how is tricky.

Fire: A mini fire steel - maybe the striker part of a magnesium block or a couple of wooden matches and a cotton ball to go with it.

Sharp: A scalpel or a blade from one of those artsy exacto knives?

Light: A photon would probably be too big... Can't think of anything else that would be worth the space.

I once had a tiny brass whistle that would fit nicely and leave a little room but I'm not sure how loud it was. (Can't find it now to check.)

Water - a few micropur tabs and a breast mike bag?

Navigation - throw in a needle to use as a compass.

Signalling - polish the whole thing for signaling

Extras - wrap it in paracord, add some fishing line and then wrap those in duct tape.

Not too shabby bacpacjac. As for the light issue Aussie has a very appealing idea with the naked LED light and battery. I one wanted an actual light that would definitely work.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.