Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231131 - 08/31/11 08:40 AM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: Teslinhiker]
zodiac340 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

There are several DIY canoe dolly/trolley/cart plans via a Google search.

Are you sure you want to go this route though as there are many canoe carts for almost any price range. For example, we have a cart similar to this one here that we picked up second hand for $40.00. I am sure if you looked on Ebay, there would probably be some that will fill your needs. Also you can search on the Paddling.net classifieds section.

Nice cart, I can actually make that one up quite easily. Didnt really want one but Husband does not know about canoes much so he is thinking it will be hard to transport it. I told him no, but if I can have something to ease his concerns it may make our boating trip better. I will keep checking ebay here. Remember I am in Germany so I cant get everything you can get there on those ads. I have to hope for ebay or some other local sources. thanks

#231132 - 08/31/11 08:49 AM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: LED]
zodiac340 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: LED
Pomeranian river dogs! I love it.

my babies go everywhere with us and they love the boat, and love water. Soon as they see their life jackets they come running to mommy to get it put on lol. They do not bounce around in the boat they normally go to sleep

#231140 - 08/31/11 12:19 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: zodiac340]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
A canoe trailer is a great invention - carrying a heavy caonoe for 200 meters isn't fun.

With a trailer, you can also stack most of your luggage in the canoe, so you don't have to do multiple trips for loading and unloading. The trailer can (usually) be packed reasonably flat and just come along on the trip without much trouble.

I'm interested in a DYI canoe trailer project myself. I'm targeting bigger wheels than shown here, though - big wheels run much easier over roots and rocks.

My goal is to be able to hitch my canoe+trailer it to my bike. No, I'm not kidding: There are lots of really nice waterways where the obvious canoe landing sites has a very nice dirt road all the way down to the water - but that road is blocked for cars. Being able to park at the gate and wheel or bike all my gear plus canoe from there down to the water vastly expands my options.

#231154 - 08/31/11 03:59 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: MostlyHarmless]
zodiac340 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
A canoe trailer is a great invention - carrying a heavy caonoe for 200 meters isn't fun.

With a trailer, you can also stack most of your luggage in the canoe, so you don't have to do multiple trips for loading and unloading. The trailer can (usually) be packed reasonably flat and just come along on the trip without much trouble.

I'm interested in a DYI canoe trailer project myself. I'm targeting bigger wheels than shown here, though - big wheels run much easier over roots and rocks.

My goal is to be able to hitch my canoe+trailer it to my bike. No, I'm not kidding: There are lots of really nice waterways where the obvious canoe landing sites has a very nice dirt road all the way down to the water - but that road is blocked for cars. Being able to park at the gate and wheel or bike all my gear plus canoe from there down to the water vastly expands my options.

I am actually blessed with multiple public ramps that allows us to bring a boat inches from the water line. The canoe will not be a problem because we will bring the car right at the end of the ramp and then demount it. We do not have a trailer hitch on the car, its about 1,500 euros nearly 2000 US and I aint gonna spend this now cuz huby will be giving us this car in two years so it makes no sense to invest in a hitch now. next car, for sure we will get a hitch cuz then we dont have the hassles with deflating and inflating.

I actually just got back from DIY store nd bought a plant of nice wood about 140cm long and 20cm deep and 2cm thick, with that I will cut it in two and and scred it together, then I got some strange but dang strong wheels mounted with metal brackets which I must screw on to the boards and they will remain solid and two little hooks I will put on the sides of the board and that will be the harness connectors. When it is finished I will show you guys. That is WHEN or if we have to pull it say about 25 meters from the water

#231363 - 09/03/11 09:31 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: zodiac340]
zodiac340 Offline
Stranger

Well I got the canoe, its a tank al right, but in excellent condition. We spent 5 hours on the lake with it. i found it a bit difficult to maneuver but still fun. it was a battle keeping it straight. is that normal? My other Coleman was 18 foot fiberglass and I cant recall this much work. But it was a blast however. We were the envy of many people in their tiny narrow over loaded canoes. lol. I found it rocked a lot too. How can I stabilize it with DIY method?

#231374 - 09/04/11 12:47 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: zodiac340]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: zodiac340
Well I got the canoe, its a tank al right, but in excellent condition. We spent 5 hours on the lake with it. i found it a bit difficult to maneuver but still fun. it was a battle keeping it straight. is that normal? My other Coleman was 18 foot fiberglass and I cant recall this much work. But it was a blast however. We were the envy of many people in their tiny narrow over loaded canoes. lol. I found it rocked a lot too. How can I stabilize it with DIY method?

- It's hard to keep straight if you have 2 different strength people. This'll normalize with time as you learn each other's tempo. I'd put the stronger person in back.

- If you have items in the canoe with you, balance the load better. Second, stop moving around so much! Canoes rock. It shouldn't be too much. If it is, chances are one of the two above are the problem. The only other DIY is to make an outrigger, in which case, welcome to the South Seas!

#231383 - 09/04/11 04:34 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: MDinana]
zodiac340 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: MDinana

- It's hard to keep straight if you have 2 different strength people. This'll normalize with time as you learn each other's tempo. I'd put the stronger person in back.

- If you have items in the canoe with you, balance the load better. Second, stop moving around so much! Canoes rock. It shouldn't be too much. If it is, chances are one of the two above are the problem. The only other DIY is to make an outrigger, in which case, welcome to the South Seas!

I was the weaker one and I was in the back, he was the stronger and tallker and bigger in general and he was in front. So perhaps we will try this weekend and see if its any better with him behind. He is the one who kept moving his booty and causing it to rock. also coming out of it ws difficult cuz it rocked like hello. I suppose this is not a boat you can put a little anchor in and jump off for a swim is it`? Getting back on will surely tip it, wont it?

#231445 - 09/05/11 05:01 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: zodiac340]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: MDinana

I was the weaker one and I was in the back, he was the stronger and tallker and bigger in general and he was in front. So perhaps we will try this weekend and see if its any better with him behind. He is the one who kept moving his booty and causing it to rock. also coming out of it ws difficult cuz it rocked like hello. I suppose this is not a boat you can put a little anchor in and jump off for a swim is it`? Getting back on will surely tip it, wont it?

In terms of the rocking, all canoes handle differently and once you get more familiar with the RAM-X, it will soon seem to be less rockier.

As for keeping the canoe tracking straight, I agree with MDinana, your husband should be in the back and he can then adapt his stronger paddling strokes to match yours. This should allow the canoe to track in a more straighter line.

John Lubbock

#231450 - 09/05/11 06:08 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: Teslinhiker]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
It takes a while to work out how the rythm and teamwork of a canoe. It is a good idea to swap places to see what works out best.

Yes, the strongest and heaviest in the back is the usual configuration. But don't take it for granted that this is the best solution for you and your husband. Try out different configuration and see what works and what doesn't.

A redistribution of weight can also get you there: If you want to continue to be in the captain's positon (to the rear) then put a rock or a couple of gallons of water behind you. You may also shift the luggage around.

The goal is to trim the canoe so it is ever so slightly deeper in the back than in the front. It is much easier to steer. If your husband now applies all his muscle power then you just steer while he does the propulsion... wink (As long as he is well behaved, that is - I have no problem wrecking the steering of my wife from that position if I want to. But then I'm about 60 pounds heavier and twice as strong as her... But if I'm well behaved and the canoe trim is good then it's no problem for her to steer)

Happy padling! smile

Myself, I usually sit in the back - that's the best place to put me with my big ego. (On the other hand, I'm not only stronger and heavier, but I'm also a better paddler. Not that it matters much on the family oriented splashes we do now - no challenge at all, except to keep the kids fed and warm ...).

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/05/11 06:10 PM)

#231458 - 09/05/11 07:35 PM Re: Hi guys I am newbie and need some help [Re: MostlyHarmless]
zodiac340 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
It takes a while to work out how the rythm and teamwork of a canoe. It is a good idea to swap places to see what works out best.

Yes, the strongest and heaviest in the back is the usual configuration. But don't take it for granted that this is the best solution for you and your husband. Try out different configuration and see what works and what doesn't.

A redistribution of weight can also get you there: If you want to continue to be in the captain's positon (to the rear) then put a rock or a couple of gallons of water behind you. You may also shift the luggage around.

The goal is to trim the canoe so it is ever so slightly deeper in the back than in the front. It is much easier to steer. If your husband now applies all his muscle power then you just steer while he does the propulsion... wink (As long as he is well behaved, that is - I have no problem wrecking the steering of my wife from that position if I want to. But then I'm about 60 pounds heavier and twice as strong as her... But if I'm well behaved and the canoe trim is good then it's no problem for her to steer)

Happy padling! smile

Myself, I usually sit in the back - that's the best place to put me with my big ego. (On the other hand, I'm not only stronger and heavier, but I'm also a better paddler. Not that it matters much on the family oriented splashes we do now - no challenge at all, except to keep the kids fed and warm ...).

thanks for the advice. What dou you mean by steer? What must I do paddle or what do I do to steer? I thought the bow had to be deepest in the water that is why I put him up front. We didnt have any gear more than some drinks and sandwiches. Should I put some extra weight in the boat next trip? Thansk for taking the time.

Now the next thing is making a home made outrigger cuz I dont want this to tip. the water we go in in the Rhine River in Germany and belive me, its DEEPPPPPPPPPPPPP, did I say deep? soon as you leave the bank you are talking about 20 feet right there and then it gets deeper to about 50 or even more as big ships travel there. So I dont want to tip there at all.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.