Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231407 - 09/05/11 12:50 AM The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I'm evaluating the new MSR Whisperlite Univeral, which is set for public release in 2012. The Whisperlite Universal will do anything the old Whisperlite Classic or Whisperlite Internationale will do AND the Universal will burn canister gas. I've only run a few tests as of now, but I like what I've seen so far. I haven't finished my review, but I do have some videos of the new stove posted on my blog: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- First Videos, Detailed Photos

Here is a photo of the W'Lite Universal running on canister gas:

HJ

#231411 - 09/05/11 02:08 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks for the preview, Jim. I'm thinking I'll pick one of these up when available. One question is how adjustable is the flame with liquid vs gas?

#231412 - 09/05/11 02:12 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Mark,

With gas, it's as adjustable as any stove I've used. The stove maintains an excellent low simmer. Take a look at the photos toward the end of the slideshow on my blog for simmering photos on gas.

With white gasoline, the flame is more adjustable than either of the Whisperlites currently sold, but it doesn't really simmer.

I haven't tried simmering with kero yet, but I can't imagine that kero will simmer any better than white gasoline.

If you're looking for true simmering, either run the Whisperlite Universal on gas -- or go buy a Dragonfly.

HJ

#231414 - 09/05/11 02:41 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks again, Jim. I've got a couple of canister stoves and I'm happy with them, and would probably use canisters most of the time with this one. But it would be nice to have the multi-fuel option for emergencies, even if simmering isn't an option.

#231433 - 09/05/11 12:55 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have a question regarding gas canister stoves in general. Can they be safely lit with a Spark-Lite?

Jeanette Isabelle

#231435 - 09/05/11 02:26 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great review, now if MSR made it out of titanium alloy, was priced below a Primus Omnifuel and had a compatible connection to work with a Primus Pump/Bottle (not the same old plastic MSR one) then I might consider getting one. wink

How does it compare with the Omnifuel? It certainly seems to be a quieter stove overall.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/05/11 02:37 PM)

#231439 - 09/05/11 04:01 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I like the cleaning cable inside the fuel line, don't think my omnifuel or brunton af even have one.

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I have a question regarding gas canister stoves in general. Can they be safely lit with a Spark-Lite?

Jeanette Isabelle

Sure, done it many times. In face you can light white gas/gasoline/kerosene/alcohol stove with it too.

#231455 - 09/05/11 06:28 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Define "safely"....

Safely as in "works every time"? Absolutely.

Safely as in "you won't burn yourself (badly)"? Probably, at least not really bad burns. As long as you're quick and nimble, that is. But you'd probably loose some of those ultra-fine hairs on you fingers and hands. Burnt hair smells really bad, but as long as the skin isn't burned it doesn't really qualify, does it?

With practice I'm pretty sure you will learn how to apply the spark-lite so that your fingers really aren't where the flames will be a fraction of a second later wink

I use a plain old-fashioned fire steel to lit propane/butane stoves. It will throw the spark into the burner head so my hands don't need to go there. A distance of two inches is plenty in this context. It probably isn't as reliable as a spark-a-lite, but is good enough for me.

DISCLAIMER: I use a propane burner (trangia) that fits the classical trangia spirit burner wind shield. That windshield is a very enclosed environment to put my fingers to lit the gas that's flowing out. I'm reluctant to light it with a lighter (I have done so, and will do so if I have to - at the cost of a few microscopic hairs and really bad smell). Tossing a spark in there so my fingers can stay out of the wind screen makes much more sense. Without a windshield things are a bit different because the gas disperses so quickly.

Most canister stoves are designed much more open than my trangia, and without much windscreen to speak of. Which means that the gas will disperse more quickly so that
a) the spark must be placed much more accurately than I have to with my trangia setup
b) the open design means you can place your fingers UNDER where the flame will be.

#231468 - 09/05/11 11:50 PM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yes, they can. I typically hold my Soto torch lighter out to the side and down a bit, the design of the stove permitting, so as to be able to get my hand clear fairly quickly.

HJ

#231476 - 09/06/11 01:54 AM Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Great review, now if MSR made it out of titanium alloy, was priced below a Primus Omnifuel and had a compatible connection to work with a Primus Pump/Bottle (not the same old plastic MSR one) then I might consider getting one. wink

How does it compare with the Omnifuel? It certainly seems to be a quieter stove overall.

Whisperlite Universal, 258g, MSRP: $139.95
Primus Omnifuel, 339g, MSRP: $159.95

Those weights are without pump. I haven't weighed the pumps lately, but if memory serves me correctly, the MSR pump is lighter than the Omnifuel pump.

Speaking of pumps, yes the MSR pump isn't as nice as the Omnifuel's pump, but have you checked out the pump MSR introduced maybe 3 or so years ago? It's a real step up from their previous two generations (gray & black, gray & red). This new pump, the Duraseal pump, is the best pump since their yellow and black pumps.

The Whisperlite Universal is definitely quieter.

I'd say the Whisperlite Universal is the lighter, less expensive, and quieter "little brother" of the Omnifuel. I took the W'lite Universal out on the trail today. It performed very well in field conditions.

HJ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.