The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#231372 - 09/04/11 09:58 AM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
he might be more inclined to wear a real "dog tag" for ID on a ball chain with a thin TOPS type whistle and Fauton LED

a zippered nylon wallet sized pouch would handle more of the EDC on body gear, much lower profile as an object for criitcism from his peers

Edited by LesSnyder (09/04/11 10:03 AM)

#231417 - 09/05/11 04:05 AM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: LesSnyder]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
One thing I've noticed about schools is, with most emergencies, they tend to follow the same procedure that they do during a fire-drill. (i.e. they line up and walk out of the classroom, either to the outside or to an auditorium)

During such drills, they're typically told to leave backpacks and such behind. The only thing they might grab with any regularity is a jacket, and even that is iffy.

This is kind of annoying because it basically means....if an item isn't on your child's person at all times, it isn't likely to be there when your child might really need it (like during a major emergency).

With that being the case, I would try to get your child to at least carry some bare essentials on their person. A small flashlight, whistle, and some form of identification would be a great start. If they can handle a cell phone with that, even better.

Obviously, it's still a good idea to keep some other items in their backpack or whatever, but I wouldn't load it up with stuff under the assumption it will be with them during an emergency.

**On a side note, if you do give your child some form of identification (with your address on it) and a house key, make sure not to keep them together. I see this all the time and it drives me nuts. If they're together and your child looses them, whoever finds them now has your address and a key to get in at their leisure.

#231418 - 09/05/11 04:28 AM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"During such drills, they're typically told to leave backpacks and such behind."

Typically stupid.

Jackie, have you checked with your son's school to find out what the usual fire-drill-type procedures are? Also, exactly what plans they've made for a disaster? Living where you do, I'm sure they've got something in place.

There is a town in the expected lahar path of the local volcano here, and the school's plan is to immediately load up all the kids on the school buses and high-tail it out of the way. (Whether this will work or not seems rather iffy, as every parent within reach will probably be blocking the road trying to get to their kid, even though they know the plan.)

Sue

#231425 - 09/05/11 11:51 AM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the backpack issue is kind of a two edged sword thing....for fire evacuation, moving 1800 high school kids with backpacks is much slower than without them... on the other hand, if the evacuation is for a bomb threat, then most EOD people I've talked to would rather have to check just the lone "suspicious" backpack than 1800...leaving the backpack adds to a time management issue if the evacuation is extended.. there are times when you want the student to have a CD player or iPod to listen to tunes...also many of our kids had a water bottle and hat along with any emergency personal meds in the pack...

check with the emergency plan of your kid's school...a 3hour bomb evacuation will point out a lot problems a 15min drill will not...been there done that

is there adequate drinking water available for each assembly area?... is there an air conditioned outlying facility for kids with allergies or health problems?...does the staff have adequate communications equipment? (the answer to this is no) is a health care professional on site (our campus covered a city block)...are there Sting kits, EpiPens and Benedryl available? is there protection from the Sun?

your school will have an Emergency Management Plan, and should have a committee that meets at regular intervals to discuss safety concerns...

as soon as the local TV helecopter circled overhead, our school switchboard and 911 center was flooded with calls, making communication difficult

if you serve on your school Parent Teacher Student committee, see if there are FRS/GMRS hand helds that can be purchased (before budget cuts we were given a small stipend to replace out of pocket consumables we bought for class use), or even that the teachers classroom phone is a portable, and has "all call" communication...phone tree between teachers private cell phones

Edited by LesSnyder (09/05/11 12:33 PM)

#231429 - 09/05/11 12:04 PM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: Paul810]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Paul810
schools - with most emergencies, they tend to follow the same procedure that they do during a fire-drill. (i.e. they line up and walk out of the classroom, either to the outside or to an auditorium)

Our nuclear evac plan is a little different. The kids mostly stay in their classrooms until it's time to load the bus. (One of the advantages of such a small school. At his bigger school, all the kids waited in the gym.) In theory, this will happen within 15-20 minutes. but I suspect that's only theory. If those sirens ever do go off for real there's going to be chaos. I'm volunteering to helping with the drills at our new school.

During such drills, they're typically told to leave backpacks and such behind. The only thing they might grab with any regularity is a jacket, and even that is iffy.

This is kind of annoying because it basically means....if an item isn't on your child's person at all times, it isn't likely to be there when your child might really need it (like during a major emergency).

This REALLY bugs me. At our old school, I once arrived to pick up the kids at lunch, to see all 860 kids waiting outside in a cold spring rain. No jackets, no blankets, no nothing. I asked the principle why the teachers don't have go bags and he just shrugged his shoulders.

With that being the case, I would try to get your child to at least carry some bare essentials on their person. A small flashlight, whistle, and some form of identification would be a great start. If they can handle a cell phone with that, even better.

DS is told to keep his sweater/jacket on his chair so he can easily grab it on the way out. There's always a fauton, whistle and bandana in the pocket. Adding an ID card is a great idea. Thanks for the reminder!

Obviously, it's still a good idea to keep some other items in their backpack or whatever, but I wouldn't load it up with stuff under the assumption it will be with them during an emergency.

Very good point!

**On a side note, if you do give your child some form of identification (with your address on it) and a house key, make sure not to keep them together. I see this all the time and it drives me nuts. If they're together and your child looses them, whoever finds them now has your address and a key to get in at their leisure.

Excellent reminder. Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231430 - 09/05/11 12:09 PM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan

Jackie, have you checked with your son's school to find out what the usual fire-drill-type procedures are? Also, exactly what plans they've made for a disaster? Living where you do, I'm sure they've got something in place.

I have and they do indeed Sue. I've volunteered to help with the bus practice day this fall. There seem to be some differences between this school and his old one

Originally Posted By: Susan
There is a town in the expected lahar path of the local volcano here, and the school's plan is to immediately load up all the kids on the school buses and high-tail it out of the way. (Whether this will work or not seems rather iffy, as every parent within reach will probably be blocking the road trying to get to their kid, even though they know the plan.)
Sue

My thoughts exactly Sue. The plan is for the kids to go but reality may Be very different. As word spreads, travel will become difficult.

#231431 - 09/05/11 12:14 PM Re: Kids School Preps [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great insights Les! Thanks!

I've volunteered and plan to be involved with the PTA as well. I'm not sure if they have a seperate emergency committee. (There are only 8 classes of about 17/18 kids each + one teacher each + Librarian + Special Ed teacher + Secretary + Principal + VP) It's like a Big family and everyone pitches in.

Being small has it's advantages. It's easier to make preps and accomodations for individual students (i.e. allergies), every teacher knows every kid, the small space is easier to manage, etc. The kids watch out gor each other too. When we first moved here, I went to watch DS at lunch. I stayed at a distance because I didn't want to disturb. No less than 4 teachers approached me to check-in.

One of the disadvantages is that it would be a hard building to secure. It's a u-shaped building, and there are only 5 entrances, but each classroom as a long wall (on the inside of the u) which is end-to-end waist-height windows.

As a smaller school, we could be at a higher threat of things like bomb threats, gunmen, etc. because we're on a small side street and
the security could be perceived as more casual. Honestly though, it's not something I worry about. I'm more concerned with fire and a nuclear accident.

Edited by bacpacjac (09/05/11 12:34 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.