The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#231157 - 08/31/11 05:20 PM Snake bite in SOCAL
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Woman pushing baby's stroller bitten by rattler in Oceanside You don't suck out the poison like on TeeVee?

#231161 - 08/31/11 06:48 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
Woman pushing baby's stroller bitten by rattler in Oceanside You don't suck out the poison like on TeeVee?

The venom can be absorbed by the mucus membranes of your mouth or through ingestion. That's what a Sawyer extractor is for. Thankfully, I've never had to put it to the test.

I've hiked in that area and found that there's a healthy population of Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes near the coast, but more of the Red Diamond Rattlesnakes as you move inland.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#231182 - 08/31/11 09:48 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In all fairness, not too many years ago, "cut and suck" was the recommended treatment - it wasn't something manufactured by Hollywood. Times have changed and treatments have improved, but there is a lag in getting the word out.

Just another reason to take a course in first aid. Glad that Mom is OK.

#231189 - 08/31/11 11:01 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: Russ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Sucking out the poison is not recommended. Here's what the article suggests:

Quote:
Doctors advised them to keep the victim as calm as possible and seek emergency medical attention quickly, Brian said.

“Do not apply a tight, constricting tourniquet,” the San Diego Natural History Museum website says. “Do not cut the bite area. Do not ice the bite area. Do not attempt to suck out the venom with your mouth. Do not give alcohol to the bitten person.”

So, basically, don't do anything except keep the victim calm and get anti-venom as soon as possible. It's quite possible you could be watching your loved suffer a slow, painful death. Is that right?

OK, rewind. I know sucking out the poison is not recommended, but I also understand the article is saying it's NOT absolute the person sucking would become a second victim. If a loved one is dying and anti-venom is not coming soon, then it would be hard not to take a chance (especially for a daughter or son).

The article here doesn't indicate whether or not the attempt to suck out the venom actually helped the mother. Perhaps it saved her life (?). There are not enough details given.

#231191 - 08/31/11 11:08 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
...Brian tried to suck the venom from the wound and said he experienced a tingling in his jaw. Doctors later told him he would have been a second victim if he had open cuts in his mouth. ...
They have an infant and having at least one parent survive should be a high priority objective. In this case the husband put his need to do something even if it's wrong ahead of his number one priority. Emotions are tough little suckers to control at times.

#231192 - 08/31/11 11:11 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: Russ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Quote:
...Brian tried to suck the venom from the wound and said he experienced a tingling in his jaw. Doctors later told him he would have been a second victim if he had open cuts in his mouth. ...
They have an infant and having at least one parent survive should be a high priority objective. In this case the husband put his need to do something even if it's wrong ahead of his number one priority. Emotions are tough little suckers to control at times.

OK, let's change the facts a bit. The kid gets bitten, and the ambulance is taking awhile...

#231193 - 08/31/11 11:23 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: Russ]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I have to wonder if the people that tell you that sucking the venom out with your mouth could expose you to a significant dose of venom are the same people that say that the Sawyer Extractor does not remove a significant amount of venom. The key is that it needs to be done immediately to be effective.

If it is enough to make a second victim sick, it is enough to make a positive impact on the first victim.

My wife and I share everything, so what's a little venom between us?

Edited by thseng (08/31/11 11:23 PM)

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#231196 - 08/31/11 11:53 PM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Quote:

So, basically, don't do anything except keep the victim calm and get anti-venom as soon as possible. It's quite possible you could be watching your loved suffer a slow, painful death. Is that right?

It probably is possible, but it is definitely not likely or probable. Snakebite deaths run to about 12 per year, out of thousands of bites (I am sorry I do not have more precise figures - perhaps someone else does).

Cut and suck went away because often the therapy was more damaging than the original bite. Evidently there are snake bites and then there are snake bites. Some bites miss completely, while some are "dry bites," in which the snake does not inject any venom. In this case, having been run over by a baby carriage, Mr Snake was apparently rather POed and delivered a good load of venom.

A big variable is the size and general health of the victim. Small folks, the elderly, and those with compromised health are more risk. Another factor is the species of snake. Some are far more toxic that others, per volume of venom, by a factor of 100 or so.

It is much easier to act and do something, anything at all, if the victim is under stress, but, yes, keep the victim calm and get anti-venom ASAP. Note that the ambulance was there within twelve minutes. In the wilderness, obviously, it would take a bit longer.

#231199 - 09/01/11 12:32 AM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Didn't they look where they were going?? Sorry, but unless its hidden in brush, its pretty hard not to see a snake.

Concerning the Sawyer Extractor, wilderness medical programs (WMI, etc.) stopped using them a while ago.

#231202 - 09/01/11 01:44 AM Re: Snake bite in SOCAL [Re: LED]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Didn't they look where they were going?? Sorry, but unless its hidden in brush, its pretty hard not to see a snake.

I have stepped over a rattle snake while hiking twice, and I was looking. My vision is better than 20/20. On one occasion, the hikers in front of me stepped right over it, and I saw it as I was passing over it. Seeing all rattlesnakes requires a higher alert than is realistically possible in my experience. In this particular case, it's hindsight. During the moment, it's not like they were scanning the area perfectly 100% of the time. The mind is lazy if one hasn't seen a snake in years or ever.

Like most people, I only see a rattlesnake AFTER I am focused directly on it. (Also, rattlesnakes don't always make noise, especially if it's a little chilly out.) Even if a rattlesnake is in the middle of a sidewalk or street, the color and pattern are still NOT highlighted in my brain. Their camouflage is the real deal.

Rattlesnake Camouflage 1
Rattlesnake Camouflage 2

Those photos give me the creeps!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.