Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231170 - 08/31/11 08:56 PM One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each?
Frisket Offline
Addict

So I been wondering if my Outlook on my prep Methods is Good or not. I personally prefer to have individual Kits for Different situations and making it more like a large Modular kit in which each bag is taken accordingly at the same time.

This brings up the weight issue the physicality Of carrying 2-3 bags issue and the what if I forget or choose the wrong bags issue.

Im sure with further refinement a good medium for this method could be found. So Far Im Doing Decently enough with 3 "Module's" Being a 5 gallon bucket of food products, Clothing Filled Duffel Bag And Backpack of Camping Gear.

What is your take? Whats your preferred Method? One Bag to tackle everything or Multiple bags to tackle specific Ordeals?

#231177 - 08/31/11 09:36 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Ah See I packed All Seasons Into The Gym Bag Like Duffel For my clothing kit. It has a set of Summer a set of winter and a set of work clothing.

#231183 - 08/31/11 09:49 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I take a layered approach. I have to carry a work laptop back and forth to work each day and have a backpack given by work with the laptop. I made up a small edc bag which contains some minimal gear. Then a small pack under the seat of my truck for a GHB then a backpack at home that fits best in the BOB category with hiking/biking/outdoor gear. Next layer is more of an urban BOB since we would most likely bug out to a hotel so the urban bob is a suitcase with as much pre-packed as possible. After that are the document binder and contents of the gun safe, camper, various tool and gear bags, etc.

#231244 - 09/01/11 02:09 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I am a fan of the muptiple bags that can incorperate into one. I also don't change my clothing for eavery season. I keep all 4 seasons packed in my bags. that way I will have warm clothing if the seasons don't coperate. also it is nice to have shorts to walk around a house in if you didn't pack a bathrobe to walk around a friends or family members house in.

I also like to set up mutiple levels of kits for things like medical or fire startrting and batteries. I always seem to need more batteries than my kits have batteries in them. Yes I know I need to work on that.. and I am...

#231261 - 09/01/11 06:03 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
went through my "bag" earlier this year as it was way too heavy for a GHB...it is based on a nylon poncho and mosquito netting which is a little heavy to begin with (it is wet down here most of the year)..I took out the heavier 72 hour equipment..Swiss stove and Sterno, machete, Vic Swiss tool, SRK, spare shoes.... replaced tins of meat with pouches etc...but placed the removed equipment in a gym style bag that resides alongside the "bag" which gives me an option

#231349 - 09/03/11 03:36 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

At least unique bags for the two seasons; Hot and cold.

#231353 - 09/03/11 04:40 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
At least unique bags for the two seasons; Hot and cold.

I repack mine foe summer and winter, and keep packed for both extremes in the fall and spring.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231359 - 09/03/11 07:33 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Pack one bag for all seasons. If it becomes too heavy / cumbersome, dump the clothing not seasonally appropriate.

#231361 - 09/03/11 08:14 PM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: JBMat]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Pack one bag for all seasons. If it becomes too heavy / cumbersome, dump the clothing not seasonally appropriate.

I planned the contents of my BOB to help me handle a multitude of different conditions that I might face. In my car, the extra weight and bulk is no big deal. If I have to hoof it any significant distance, my plan is to dump or cache whatever gear is least likely to be needed.

#231408 - 09/05/11 01:18 AM Re: One Bob/Kit For All Ordeals Or Multiple For Each? [Re: Frisket]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Obviously the modular approach siuts your needs, and everyone will be a bit different.

I've got a small basic kit, and would need to add to it depending on the situation and season. Not very quick I guess !

Just be sure to clearly mark the bags, remember that it may not be you who grabs them in an emergency.

It would be ashame to get to your bug out location in the middel of winter with a collection of sunscreens, bug nets and a bikini ! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.