Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230724 - 08/26/11 08:35 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
I think I still have the BSA version of this stove in my attic somewhere.
Got photos?

HJ

#230774 - 08/27/11 04:28 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
widget Offline
Addict

I think that stove started out as the Gerry stove made for/by Gerry Cunningham and sold with the Gerry branding. That was a high-end brand in the '60's and '70's.

I used to keep one in my mountain rescue pack along with a GI canteen cup. Nice little stoves and light. Thanks for the happy flashback Jim!

#230803 - 08/28/11 03:35 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I think I still have the BSA version of this stove in my attic somewhere.
Got photos?

HJ

It doesn't appear to be used, though the brass nipple (or "needle") has corroded a bit. I am wondering if the needle can be unscrewed and a hose plumbed directly into valve assembly? If so then that makes the special adapter unnecessary.

Edited by ZenEngineer (08/28/11 03:46 AM)

#231146 - 08/31/11 02:15 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: widget]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: widget
I think that stove started out as the Gerry stove made for/by Gerry Cunningham and sold with the Gerry branding. That was a high-end brand in the '60's and '70's.
From what I've read, Gerry didn't claim to be the first, although I think Gerry put that type of stove on the proverbial map. The stove was manufactured by EFI. Hank Roberts sold the stove before Gerry (this is per an interview with Gerry that I read). The stove was sold under the EFI, Gerry, Browning, and Hank Roberts brands, possibly more. There were several variants. They're really good stoves, and really secure (as well as highly packable) in their aluminum "clam shell." The canister and the canister connection I believe is what killed them. They got a reputation (deserved or undeserved) for exploding and were quickly withdrawn from the market.

I used to keep one in my mountain rescue pack along with a GI canteen cup. Nice little stoves and light. Thanks for the happy flashback Jim!
You're welcome. Interestingly, this is one of the top 10 most popular posts I've ever done (according to the stats on my blog). Whoda thunk? I guess there are a lot of closet Gerry/Hank Roberts stove aficionados out there?

HJ

#231148 - 08/31/11 02:33 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: ZenEngineer]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

It doesn't appear to be used, though the brass nipple (or "needle") has corroded a bit.

Yours is a beautiful example of this type of stove sold under the EFI brand. Take good care of her; she's a nice one!

I am wondering if the needle can be unscrewed and a hose plumbed directly into valve assembly? If so then that makes the special adapter unnecessary.
Yes, absolutely. I have two different types of stoves that have the "needle and bud" type connector (like your stove has). One has a needle that unscrews. The other does not. The person who made the adapter for me, made me an adapter that could work with any needle type connector.

For you, unscrewing the needle and screwing in an adapter would be a much better solution.

Nice stove! Thanks for posting the photos!

HJ

#231149 - 08/31/11 02:51 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
widget Offline
Addict

Well Jim, as usual, you are the stove guru. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us. It is always an informative pleasure reading your posts.

I have kept a lot of the stoves I have used over the years but unfortunately I no longer have that Gerry. I liked it for the size and weight and the convenience. That is probably why I mostly use my SnoPeak these days. It too is quick and easy and light as they can be.

Have you ever played with the military M1950 stove? I have one and used it in the military some. It is a heavy beast but when I was very young this was one of the most compact stoves you could find. Here is a link to one. Cheers!
http://store.colemans.com/cart/stove-gas-burner-m1950-with-shroud-p-1861.html

#231156 - 08/31/11 05:00 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Hi, Widget,

I've seen the M1950 as well as the M1942. I think the M1942 is a little classier looking, but it's generally harder to find. Both are Coleman - US Army collaborations.

Something to be aware of: Unlike most Coleman stoves, the M1942 and M1950 do not have a "positive" NRV. The NRV (non-return valve) is what prevents pressure from coming back up the pump shaft. Most Coleman stoves have a safety feature that allows one to rotate the dial at the pump rod to the right to lock the pump rod in place. The M1942 and M1950 have no such lock. The NRV has a rubber "pip" down in the pump. That rubber pip is all that prevents pressure (and fuel!) from coming back up the shaft. If that pip has hardened, it could fail -- while you are using the stove. If you have a failure while using the stove, uh, that could be "bad." (think WWII style flamethrower)

Honestly, I've stayed away from these stoves for that very reason even though they're very cool stoves. If you get one, they can be used safely if you know how to tear down the pump and replace the "pip" in the NRV. Short of that, I'd say caveat emptor.

HJ

Attachments
M1950-M1942.jpg

Description: Coleman M1950 and M1942 stoves.

#231200 - 09/01/11 12:41 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
widget Offline
Addict

I do have one, I have not lit the thing in decades. I only keep it because it's there. One day I guess it needs to go on eBay and some collector can scoop it up. I have never seen the M1942 before, it does look nicer. Looks a lot like the Coleman Peak1 stove. I have a Peak 1 and used it excusively for years, I liked the flame adjustment. That is a heavy beast though.

Thanks for the pic, my M1950 looks exactly like that and I have the cooking canister, stove holder too. It is heavy too, aluminum but heavy.

#231268 - 09/01/11 07:31 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: widget]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I do have one, I have not lit the thing in decades.
I'd definitely overhaul the pump before lighting it up. If it's in really good condition, a collector might snap it up. There are an awful lot of M1950's out there because the were made for 30+ years for the US Army. Not sure what you could get for it, but keep your eye on eBay and see what things are going for.

HJ

#231272 - 09/01/11 08:34 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Hank Roberts Mini Stove [Re: ZenEngineer]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

It doesn't appear to be used, though the brass nipple (or "needle") has corroded a bit. I am wondering if the needle can be unscrewed and a hose plumbed directly into valve assembly? If so then that makes the special adapter unnecessary.

Here's the burner column/valve assembly from my Gerry stove which uses the same type of fuel. Notice that this needle does not unscrew which is why I needed the adapter of the type that I have.

You would be better off if you had and adapter that would thread into where the needle unscrews from on your stove (see attached photo). In the photo, the red arrow indicates the fitting on the end of the gas tube of the type that I bought on eBay for the Chinese S-9 stove. The slightly darker piece is a double threaded adapter. The left side of the adapter (as seen in the photo) threads directly into the EFI type stove. The right side threads into the S-9 gas tube.

HJ

Attachments
Hank Roberts (EFI) Adapter.jpg

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.