Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#231100 - 08/30/11 09:49 PM Re: Link for this stove ????? [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Susan
Personally, I would like to see Hikin Jim do for alcohol/debris/Esbit stoves what he's been doing for the fancier stoves.
Sue,

I'd love to do all three of those topics (alcohol/debris/Esbit stoves). However, you probably won't see me do a wood or "debris" type stove review. I live in a high fire danger area. Wood fires are just plain not allowed unless I want to travel to an official campground, pay for a site, and all that. I can't just go walking up the nearest trail like I can with my "fancier" (lol) stoves.

Alcohol stoves would be truly interesting to dig into. The problem with alcohol stoves is that there are hundreds upon hundreds of alcohol stoves. It would be really difficult though to do a true survey of what's out there in the alcohol stove "universe" simply because the "universe" is so large. Anyone with a cup shaped piece of metal can design an alcohol stove.

However, there are some alcohol stove "systems" out there that I do plan to review. I'm interested in "systems" because an alcohol stove is so dependent on a good set up in general and a windscreen in particular. The systems I'm interested in reviewing are the Trangia 27, the Caldera Cone, and the Clikstand (these three are some of the better known alcohol stove systems). Stay tuned on this one.

Esbit stoves are a little simpler to review. I've already reviewed the Ti Wing Stove which I like. I've also used the classic "folding box" Esbit stove, but I'm actually not particularly fond of that stove. I'll probably do more in times to come although I've got about 20 or 30 stove "projects" lined up ahead of it.

HJ

#231121 - 08/31/11 01:56 AM Re: Link for this stove ????? [Re: Chisel]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hey don't discount the White Box Stove . if you want Jim, I'll loan you mine with my kettle for a test and you can send it back when your done.

#231128 - 08/31/11 03:29 AM Re: Link for this stove ????? [Re: comms]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: comms
Hey don't discount the White Box Stove . if you want Jim, I'll loan you mine with my kettle for a test and you can send it back when your done.
lol. I wouldn't ever discount the White Box stove, one of the more famous alcohol stoves out there. I actually have one, and I like it.

I have a particular interest in alcohol stove systems that consist (in general) of a pot stand, windscreen, and burner. The White Box is well known and well made, but it isn't a system. By the way, Bill, the owner of White Box stoves has made some custom stuff for me. He's a really good guy, and he does really quality work. It's been a pleasure to deal with him.

By the way, saying that I can't begin to scratch the surface of the alcohol doesn't mean I don't have quite a collection of alcohol stoves. I've got Trangia, Trail Designs, Mini Bull Designs, White Box, and multiple home made stoves just to name a few.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.