The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#230916 - 08/29/11 01:14 PM Re: Irene [Re: chaosmagnet]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
In many ways we lucked out in the Maryland/Virginia Chesapeake area, when compared to the damage caused by Hurricane Isabel. The winds drove the water from the bay; so much of the rain hitting the Eastern shore was able to drain without causing the same of flooding during Isabel.

The family at home encountered no problems. No power outages, no wind damage.

I was at the fire station throughout the event for possible deployment. Our team deployed two members ahead of time with Maryland State Police (MSP) - Aviation Division and had several more standing by. We also prepared a FEMA Type II water rescue team for deployment and maintained a contingency of members for local responses. Other that one member deployed with MSP –Aviation who provided surveillance flights over the Southern and Eastern-Shore Maryland areas, no water rescue or evacuations actions took place of which I am aware.

To all of those who suffered damage, my thoughts and prayers go out for a speedy recovery.

Pete

Edited by paramedicpete (08/29/11 03:06 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling correction

#230922 - 08/29/11 01:44 PM Re: Irene [Re: paramedicpete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (08/29/11 03:20 PM)

#230924 - 08/29/11 01:55 PM Re: Irene [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Interesting article regarding Irene's lessons on how far they've come in hurricane forecasting, and how far they have still to go in being entirely accurate.

I think we are spoiled rotten. Hurricane prediction has made amazing progress in my lifetime, and the loss of life has been reduced accordingly. Remember Galveston? Now we are quibbling about a few mph - I doubt I could tell the difference between 73 and 75 mph - the "all important" distinction between a killer Hurricane and an insignificant, insipid tropical storm.

Now if we could just do as well with earthquake prediction. Upon which political group do I place the blame for the lack of progress in this area? It must be someone's fault........

#230925 - 08/29/11 01:59 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Are you sure you're not confusing Hurricane Isabel with my middle name?

Jeanette Isabelle

Has there ever been a Hurricane Jeanette? Dagny? BacPakJac? Christina?

If so, I am sure they woudl be memorable?

Apologies to those forum members whose names I did not list...

#230933 - 08/29/11 02:24 PM Re: Irene [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Got a call from my sister. They had a gas leak. Turns out....the Earthquake loosened a fitting outside and the gas company believes the wind wiggled it loose enough to leak. Weird and scary.

Yeah, gas leaks are scary.

Many instances of earthquake damage came to light before and with the hurricane. For instance, some friends' septic system was damaged in a way that became evident in a Thursday night storm. Thankfully, it was fixed before Irene hit on Saturday.

Other friends in Loudon County Maryland (80 miles west of DC) discovered that some critical piece in their well had sheared off from the well pipe.

And I've read accounts of people discovering the earthquake rendered their basements no longer waterproof.

#230938 - 08/29/11 03:07 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Correction made.

Thanks-
Pete

#230947 - 08/29/11 04:33 PM Re: Irene [Re: chaosmagnet]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
I realized that I didn't have any tarps ready to put over unexpected holes in my house.

I've had roof problems and learned a few things about tarping.

* I've seen people lay down tarps and staple them down. This simply doesn't work, as there's not enough support to hold them down in wind.

* I followed others by laying down the tarps and nailing (double-headed nails) strips of lath on top of the tarps to spread out the support. I put them about 4ft apart and all along the edges of the roof so the wind couldn't catch it.

* NEXT TIME! I'm laying down the tarps and holding them down with half-filled sandbags, and just nailing down the lath at the edges. Half-filled/tied sandbags are easy to carry and move around. They don't leave holes in the tarps, so if the tarps aren't left there too long (UV damage), they can be folded up and stashed for later use.

Sue

#230950 - 08/29/11 05:30 PM Re: Irene [Re: Susan]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Susan
I've had roof problems and learned a few things about tarping.

As a young teen I once helped my dad use rope to tie down a tarp to protect a roof with a hole. That, or sandbags, was how I was planning to secure one. It never occurred to me to nail it down.

#230953 - 08/29/11 05:47 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Susan...if you have a small roof puncture and not loose shingles or tile, the spray foam insulation works pretty well... to expand and seal holes...in 04, red fuel cans and blue tarps were in short supply down here...

good idea to have a can of roof mastic, blue tarp and lath or firring strips...portable screw gun and deck screws

#230962 - 08/29/11 06:46 PM Re: Irene [Re: LesSnyder]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Has anyone tried that new (at least to me) spay rubber product advertized on TV Flex Seal ?

If it really works and will actually stick to a variety of surfaces, it might be a useful product to have on hand.

Pete

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.