Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230823 - 08/28/11 11:18 AM How about re-organizing ETS forum ?
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In most other forums we see specific sub-categories like (Gear, Weather, ..etc. ) but here @ ETS it seems to go a different way where you need to toss a coin before opening a new thread.

I am an oldtimer here ( though not frequent poster ) and I remember sometimes before the ( Natural Disaters ) Section were created when someone hesitated to add new sections. That has been added, but still I feel ETS is not organized enough.

I suggest somthing like this :

- The Campfire
- Urban Survival
- Wilderness Survival
- Health & Medicine
- Survival Attitude ( or Survival spirit )
- Survival Gear
- Survival Stories ( with happy ending or otherwise )
- Marketing
- Book Lending

Good ?
Bad ?
Unacceptable ?
Need modification ?

What do you all think ?

#230827 - 08/28/11 12:02 PM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hmmm. I dunno. I agree, it's not the most organized of sites, but I kind of like it this way. Granted, there's a lot of overlap in terms of location where something can fit, but if we were to re-arrange the place, it might just complicate matters.

Sparklite ... put in "gear" or put in "outdoor" ? Yes, it's gear, but it's not really urban related. The way we're set up now, you can kind of tell where something should be categorized. It kind of breaks things down by intended use. Now, agreed, putting Sparklite under gear makes sense too, but you might have to filter a lot of stuff you don't care about to find it (long term storage containers, extra fuel cans, shovels, etc).

Now maybe subcategorizing? Ie, gear under urban, or gear under Survival Forum, but then you go to far in being Type A.

As things stand now, I'd say leave it. Unless a significant majority want it changed, or DR comes along and agrees.

#230828 - 08/28/11 12:17 PM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree. I like it the way it is. Even though I've recently suggested an "Edibles" section, those things already fall very nicely into the "Around the Campfire" forum.

We debate the placement of threads sometimes, and there is some overlap, but usually things end up in a logical place. We're all preppers so value organization but too much can make it hard to navigate.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#230851 - 08/28/11 06:08 PM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I think that more categories = more confusion as to what goes into each. Things tend to blend together, and what seems clear to one person is not so clear to another.

I am happy with the present organization. I think that everything is clear enough, and if you have something that you are not sure of, "Around the Campfire" is the default catch all.

The other thing that concerns me is the moderators time. It is, after all, a non-paid volunteer job. It seems to me that many different categories would just make their job harder. (I don't think it is easy as it is.) It might even call for more moderators.

IMO, keep things as they are and don't be too upset if someone seems to have posted something in the wrong forum, or if a forum topic seems too broad.

#230869 - 08/28/11 09:42 PM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
For now I get by using the search function and current organization, but I would like to hear what specific existing or potential goals might be better met with reorganization and / or amended categories.

#230872 - 08/28/11 10:17 PM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I believe we need a Camping section dedicated to the talk of camping and camp gear and such thats about it on the new sections. The around the camp fire section needs a more definitive description or just bold and red it because to many times do people come in and yell out THIS IS A SURVIVAL FORUM GO AWAY WITH THIS TOPIC in there.

#230894 - 08/29/11 02:11 AM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I like the forum the way it is now (with one exception noted below.) I visit many forums and often find that some have so many subforums and you just don't know which one to make your new post in.

The one exception that would be a good idea as Frisket mentioned is a forum for general camping discussion as many of those specific topics do not fit any of the existing forums here. As much as I like getting out to hike and do wilderness camping, there are times where a weekend of car camping is just as relaxing and enjoyable.

I would like to know what the MOD's here think of having a general camping forum added.

John Lubbock

#230895 - 08/29/11 02:22 AM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would think that a good many of us plan to use our camping and outdoor gear in an emergency situation, either bugging in or out. We therefore often discuss the various advantages of various sorts of gear (like stoves, for instance).

Bear in mind, however, that ETS is about survival preparedness, not recreation camping and all the goodies that attend that pursuit. I feel that a forum devoted to camping gear would dilute the focus of ETS. We should discuss camping paraphernalia only vis-a-vis survival

#230896 - 08/29/11 02:32 AM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Bear in mind, however, that ETS is about survival preparedness, not recreation camping and all the goodies that attend that pursuit. I feel that a forum devoted to camping gear would dilute the focus of ETS. We should discuss camping paraphernalia only vis-a-vis survival

You are correct and I thought about this right after I made my post. It is better to keep this forum as a survival related discussion place of interest.

John Lubbock

#230912 - 08/29/11 12:01 PM Re: How about re-organizing ETS forum ? [Re: Chisel]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Personally, I try and read all of the posts or at least scan them, so for me the fewer categories the better. For what it is worth, I like things the way they are.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.