The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#230166 - 08/21/11 04:27 AM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: bacpacjac]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
This is for you, bacpacjac. Last night I made naan pizzas. This is the portabella one I made for my wife (after it passed my quality control test). It was really good.

#230167 - 08/21/11 06:15 AM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: aloha]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Preliminary research indicates that haupia is the perfect survival food. It is easy to make (though it does take a bit more fuel than I'm comfortable with), so I was surprised to discover. It can be had before, during, and after a meal. In fact, it can be the meal.

The next grant proposal is for studying chocolate haupia, made famous by Ted's Bakery on North Shore. Stay tuned.

Da Bing

#230179 - 08/21/11 12:58 PM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: aloha]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: aloha
This is for you, bacpacjac. Last night I made naan pizzas. This is the portabella one I made for my wife (after it passed my quality control test). It was really good.

Oh my. My mouth is watering!! You guys are way better than the food network. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#230183 - 08/21/11 05:21 PM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: Bingley]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Preliminary research indicates that haupia is the perfect survival food. It is easy to make (though it does take a bit more fuel than I'm comfortable with), so I was surprised to discover. It can be had before, during, and after a meal. In fact, it can be the meal.

The next grant proposal is for studying chocolate haupia, made famous by Ted's Bakery on North Shore. Stay tuned.

Da Bing

I'd like in on that grant! And the study.

#230184 - 08/21/11 05:22 PM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: bacpacjac]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: aloha

Oh my. My mouth is watering!! You guys are way better than the food network. wink

grin

#230205 - 08/22/11 01:18 AM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Food discussions are best accompanied by images, so here it is:

Note that a strange problem arose. The haupia rapidly disappeared square by square. It's making me rethink its suitability for emergency food. Where does it vanish to? No one seems to know. Yet it continues disappearing into thin air. I managed to snap this picture above before the completion of this piecemeal Rapture.

I must make more to test this. Should I use arrowroot starch instead? Is there a big difference? I used corn starch for this one, but I hear arrowroot is traditional.

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (08/22/11 01:20 AM)

#230206 - 08/22/11 01:25 AM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: Bingley]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Food discussions are best accompanied by images, so here it is:

Note that a strange problem arose. The haupia rapidly disappeared square by square. It's making me rethink its suitability for emergency food. Where does it vanish to? No one seems to know. Yet it continues disappearing into thin air. I managed to snap this picture above before the completion of this piecemeal Rapture.

I must make more to test this. Should I use arrowroot starch instead? Is there a big difference? I used corn starch for this one, but I hear arrowroot is traditional.

Da Bing

Try it and see which you like better. I use coconut milk in mine. Yours?

Edited by aloha (08/23/11 06:32 AM)
Edit Reason: typed wrong place

#230210 - 08/22/11 01:53 AM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: aloha]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I think I missed the haupia recipe. I was curious before the picture but now I need to try it. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#230211 - 08/22/11 02:07 AM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I think I missed the haupia recipe. I was curious before the picture but now I need to try it. wink

I used this one (from <http://www.ochef.com/112.htm>):

Quote:
Ingredients:

4 cups coconut milk*
2-1/2 cups water
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch

Instructions:

Combine the coconut milk and water. Stir until smooth. Add the sugar and cornstarch. Cook over low heat until thickened and shiny. If the haupia is grainy, you need to keep cooking the mixture because the fat in the coconut milk has not yet melted.

It's really simple. I prefer a little less sugar myself, and for the first try, what I made was close enough to the stuff I got in Hawaii. There are other variations. I suppose it's one of those things where every person has his own recipe. I read that Polynesian arrowroot starch is more traditional than corn starch, so that may be worth a try.

Yeah, I can totally see it: power outage, a raging storm outside, a mob gathering. But we calm sit by candle light/camping light/Surefire tactical light mounted on our Mossy 500, making haupia. The only thing is that it needs to chill, and without refrigeration it might take a while.

Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea at all. The tea bag in survival kits focuses your energy on a task to calm you down and give you time to think. Haupia could serve the same purpose. The rest of the luau probably helps, too.

Next: how we can apply surfing to survival.

Da Bing

#230287 - 08/22/11 10:23 PM Re: Last night's dinner [Re: Bingley]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I used this one (from <http://www.ochef.com/112.htm>):

Quote:
Ingredients:

4 cups coconut milk*
2-1/2 cups water
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch

Instructions:

Combine the coconut milk and water. Stir until smooth. Add the sugar and cornstarch. Cook over low heat until thickened and shiny. If the haupia is grainy, you need to keep cooking the mixture because the fat in the coconut milk has not yet melted.

It's really simple. I prefer a little less sugar myself, and for the first try, what I made was close enough to the stuff I got in Hawaii. There are other variations. I suppose it's one of those things where every person has his own recipe. I read that Polynesian arrowroot starch is more traditional than corn starch, so that may be worth a try.

Yeah, I can totally see it: power outage, a raging storm outside, a mob gathering. But we calm sit by candle light/camping light/Surefire tactical light mounted on our Mossy 500, making haupia. The only thing is that it needs to chill, and without refrigeration it might take a while.

Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea at all. The tea bag in survival kits focuses your energy on a task to calm you down and give you time to think. Haupia could serve the same purpose. The rest of the luau probably helps, too.

Next: how we can apply surfing to survival.

Da Bing

Yama's Fish Market has the best haupia I have ever had. Even better than my home made!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.