Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 15 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#230739 - 08/26/11 11:38 PM Re: Irene [Re: sheldon]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: sheldon
How unsafe are the regular plastic cans? Say I had to evacuate. In an emergency situation, is it worth it to take a few cans in the trunk, or is it so dangerous that it's better to risk running out of gas?

I know lots of people use the plastic jobs and have never had a problem. For me, the expense was worth it as I knew I would be dealing with a critical situation and needed to have a failsafe method to transport gasoline. I also have a van, so the gasoline would be in the passenger compartment with me. These DOT approved cans have gobs of safety measures in place and are designed to be tipped over an absorb moderate impact. I would not transport gasoline any distance in an enclosed trunk without a DOT approved container. Even then, its a calculated risk.

#230751 - 08/27/11 03:18 AM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Well, we're out. DW and the kids left at about 10::30 this morning. I hit the road around 3, just before the mandatory evacuation was ordered for my area. Traffic was not terrible, so I feel good about leaving early.

I'm getting reports of gas stations running empty on SW Long Island. They're trying to evacuate everyone south of Merrick Road, for those who know the area. Long Island Railroad is running free right now, as is NYC transit. Most hospitals on LI are on diversion and evacuating patients.

I probably should have done better securing the house, but without a truck to transport plywood I was limited in my options. All outdoor items were moved into the garage, and I reminded the neighbors to do the same. I put sandbags at the doors when I left to try and keep out water.

Of course, "getting out" is relative. I'm in Brooklyn Heights at with family. Not ideal, but far better than my house which is two blocks from the beach, and just above sea level. I figure the house stays dry up to about six feet of surge at high tide. More than that and I'll be putting the flood insurance to work!

I'll post anything interesting that happens, and see if I can't get a photo or two of NY harbor during the storm. Wish us luck!

#230757 - 08/27/11 10:56 AM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I found a rather nice interactive map of the hurricane's projected track. Although not obvious at first, you can drag the map, zoom in, and switch to a satellite view of the ground. The zoom will go down to street level.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

#230760 - 08/27/11 12:47 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I just walked up and down the street and asked a neighbor to help me bring in recycling and garbage bins belonging to other neighbors. Some of us would like to not have such items becoming projectiles banging into our vehicles.

You'd think people could manage the low-hanging fruit like that.

Good luck to all in Irene's path. The first rains are just outside the Beltway so we're hunkering down.

By the way, double-check any outside drains and make sure leaves and other debris are well clear. Don't want to be dealing with it during the storm (speaking from experience).

#230761 - 08/27/11 01:01 PM Re: Irene [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That answers the question regarding whether Dagny and pooch would be bugging out or bugging in -- bugging in it is. Good answer.

Food shopping done, water jugs full, Element gas tank topped off -- take the pooch for one last walk and just wait for it. Good luck.

#230762 - 08/27/11 01:15 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/221302.shtml
Quote:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER INDICATES THAT THE EYE OF IRENE
MADE LANDFALL NEAR CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA AROUND 730 AM
EDT...1130 UTC. THE ESTIMATED INTENSITY OF IRENE AT LANDFALL WAS
85 MPH...140 KM/H...CATEGORY ONE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE
WIND SCALE.

Looks like it's weakening -- one more crisis almost behind us.

#230764 - 08/27/11 01:35 PM Re: Irene [Re: bws48]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I like the NOAA GOES Floater animated in IR AVN mode. Its simple and easy to use and gives you a good picture of the size and direction of the storm on a local level. I use the NOAA tracking map for predictions. I find the Weather.com tracker tries to do too much and is cumbersome. YMMV

#230765 - 08/27/11 01:42 PM Re: Irene [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
That answers the question regarding whether Dagny and pooch would be bugging out or bugging in -- bugging in it is. Good answer.

Food shopping done, water jugs full, Element gas tank topped off -- take the pooch for one last walk and just wait for it. Good luck.

Thanks. We were in a drought situation much of the summer so I'm actually looking forward to a cozy day inside, though I'm sorry it is at the expense of people more seriously affected by the storm.

Where I'm at the power lines are underground and flooding is not a threat. Many of my friends are more vulnerable to power outages and tree-fall so I'll probably be able to help them if need-be. Sounds like the storm's peak will be around 4:00a Sunday but the rains will start shortly.

The sky is already interesting, with the clouds to the north circulating from east to west -- opposite the usual flow here.

#230767 - 08/27/11 02:06 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

I was planning on riding out the storm on the Chesapeake Bay-Patuxent River (Drum Point, Maryland) where friends have a home on the water (high enough not to worry about flooding). The place is nearly due south of Annapolis.

We went there Thursday but I ended up coming back for reasons unrelated to the storm and will stay in DC.

Their backup generator kicked in a bit ago (10:30a eastern time).

They left their boats on the lifts at their docks so are obviously hopeful that it won't be horrible.

#230772 - 08/27/11 03:40 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Good luck to you Dagny! We'll be praying for you from the cheap seats. wink

Page 7 of 15 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.