The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#228117 - 07/20/11 10:49 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: TeacherRO]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Of course its possible these are the real thing and were bought by deal extreme in bulk at low cost. Seems about the right time in the business cycle for this.

NOT!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#228131 - 07/21/11 01:19 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: ratbert42]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
So I have to ask ... when searching for the Mk5 on the web, how do you know when you're looking at the real Mk5 and a fake Mk5?

I've purchased several knives from Knifecenter.com, and have faith in them, but if I find a good price from an unknown knife dealer ... now I start to wonder.

BTW, I've already purchased several Mk5's when they first came out. I just asking in case I need to give recommendations in the future.

#228135 - 07/21/11 03:35 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you buy from knifeworks.com fakes are not an issue.

#228136 - 07/21/11 03:43 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: KenK]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KenK
So I have to ask ... when searching for the Mk5 on the web, how do you know when you're looking at the real Mk5 and a fake Mk5?

I've purchased several knives from Knifecenter.com, and have faith in them, but if I find a good price from an unknown knife dealer ... now I start to wonder.

BTW, I've already purchased several Mk5's when they first came out. I just asking in case I need to give recommendations in the future.

Without one in hand, it is difficult to state with certainty, but based on the image on the site, the multi-colored fob.lanyard would be a dead giveaway. As this point all of the original run the original run of RSK Mk5 with the multi-colored fob have been sold and all the new production has a black lanyard with a slider on it. Not that most web sites have updated their images, but you can always email or call.

Not sure if they are packing it in a tin as the original is, but we should know that by next week.

Buying from an authorized CRKT dealer is the surest way to be certain. And, if the price seems to good to be true, it probably isn't real.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#228148 - 07/21/11 04:23 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
And, if the price seems to good to be true, it probably isn't real.

Yes But Couldnt Someone greedy Be selling the cheap fakes for the same price as the real ones to get more cash? Like others have said it looks near identical so how could you tell your getting the fake for the real price?

#228150 - 07/21/11 04:39 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: Frisket]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
And, if the price seems to good to be true, it probably isn't real.

Yes But Couldnt Someone greedy Be selling the cheap fakes for the same price as the real ones to get more cash? Like others have said it looks near identical so how could you tell your getting the fake for the real price?

I suppose so, though generally that's not how they work. Once we have one in hand, we may be able to provide more useful information.

But, the bottom line is very simple. Buy from reputable and authorized dealers and you are not going to get taken.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#229379 - 08/07/11 06:40 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: ratbert42]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ratbert42
I assume these are "designer" knockoffs of the original RSK Mk5. Beware if you order any Mk5s from bargain sites or eBay.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/steel-mini-pocket-knife-with-strap-4-5cm-blade-82055

I have received a sample of this knock-off. First off, it is very clearly a knock-off, not the same knife going out the back door. At first glance, it is a pretty good knock-off with all the logos and such reproduced very well, the sheath looks the same, though it is far lower quality and barely holds the knife in it, worse even than the few problem sheaths that some folks got on the first production run.

There is no CRKT tin, comes in a plain white box, and it has a poor quality imitation of the first production version multi-colored knotted lanyard.

For the moment, we have decided not to provide too much detail as to the differences, because then they go fix those making it even harder to identify the knock-off. However, that shouldn't impact anyone who wants to get a real RSK Mk5 vs. a knock-off

To avoid getting taken, here are some tips:

Buy only from reputable dealers or sellers, even better if they are authorized CRKT dealers. And, there are plenty of such dealers that sell at very competitive prices.

Here are just a few major online dealers:

If the item is shipped direct from Asia somewhere, you can be pretty damn sure it's not genuine. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. These are not expensive knives to begin with.

Current production RSK Mk5 knives come in a CRKT tin with instructions for assembling your own PSK using the tin.

Current production RSK Mk5 knives have a black lanyard.

(NOTE: Most dealers still have images of the original production version with a multi-colored lanyard. If it's a reputable dealer, don't worry, but if there is any question, contact the seller and ask if there is a tin.)

Edited by Doug_Ritter (08/07/11 06:44 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#230707 - 08/26/11 05:49 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Knockoff? [Re: ratbert42]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Got mine - yes its a knock-off. ( and no tin) And took forever to get here. Stick with quality

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.