Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#230677 - 08/26/11 03:56 PM Re: Irene [Re: desolation]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: desolation
<snip>
Good luck to those of you in the path. If it were me, I'd grab the family, gear and go. Beat the rush, so to speak. If nothing substantial happens, call it a good test of your preparations for the next event!

Let me offer a bit of an alternative consideration. The news media will be going crazy over the next couple of days telling EVERYONE to evacuate. The problem is that some areas, such as NYC, simply cannot be evacuated. Make careful considerations as to your distance from the storm surge, the type of structure you are in, and whether or not you actually live in a mandatory evacuation zone. Evacuation is no picnic. Prepare for traffic the likes of which God has never seen, gas shortages, hotel room shortages, and general stupidity and paranoia among the evacuees. There will be traffic collision fatalities. Consider the potential for being stuck in a traffic jam when the storm comes through -- a real worse case scenario.

So the options are get out early or "bug in". I live in hurricane alley in Florida and my house has been through three Category 2 storms with me in it. I am still here and my house is still here. I elected to "bug in" with my generator, MREs stacked to the ceiling, and 55 gallon drums of potable water. Neighbors returned after the storm to very light damage with stories of running out of gas on the interstate and sleeping in their cars.

All I am saying is that evacuation is not always the best option. If you are subject to storm surge in your area or are in a mandatory evacuation zone, then you don't have an option, you must leave. But you might be helping out your fellow man by not being that extra car on the road or body in the hurricane shelter when you do not need to be.

YMMV.

#230678 - 08/26/11 04:00 PM Re: Irene [Re: Krista]
celler Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Krista
<snip>
My neighbor across the street has a flag on a pole that they haven't taken down yet. I keep visualizing it turning into a flying projectile that destroys my truck. frown I don't EVER talk to them, so I'm not sure if I am ready to go politely ask them to take it down.... Would you?

Abos-freakin-lutely. Its knuckleheads like that endanger the entire neighborhood. If he tells you to go pound salt, let the MPs or local police deal with them. I had a similar experience where an idiot neighbor stacked up a bunch of forklift pallets next to my property just before a storm. Didn't put up with that either.

#230681 - 08/26/11 04:04 PM Re: Irene [Re: celler]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: celler

All I am saying is that evacuation is not always the best option. If you are subject to storm surge in your area or are in a mandatory evacuation zone, then you don't have an option, you must leave. But you might be helping out your fellow man by not being that extra car on the road or body in the hurricane shelter when you do not need to be.

YMMV.

Map of the expected storm surge flooding in Manhattan available at http://www.docstoc.com/docs/91979612/NYC-Hurricane-Evacuation-Map. Don't mess around, move to higher ground.

#230682 - 08/26/11 04:12 PM Re: Irene [Re: celler]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: desolation
<snip>
Good luck to those of you in the path. If it were me, I'd grab the family, gear and go. Beat the rush, so to speak. If nothing substantial happens, call it a good test of your preparations for the next event!

All I am saying is that evacuation is not always the best option. If you are subject to storm surge in your area or are in a mandatory evacuation zone, then you don't have an option, you must leave.

YMMV.

This is what I did. I looked at storm surge maps and experience with regular storms in the area to determine where the most flooding is likely. I decided that I am better equipped to ride it out at home, where I have shelter, food, water, etc. For me, staying seems safer. I know people in the area who did/are evacuating, a lot of those in a near state of panic. Most of the locals though are *always* prepared, and thank goodness I've been into prepping long enough to NOT be a part of the "French Toast brigade (rushing out for milk, bread, and eggs)" or the gas pump lines.

~Marion C. Garretty

#230683 - 08/26/11 04:27 PM Re: Irene [Re: Krista]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
My neighbor across the street has a flag on a pole that they haven't taken down yet. I keep visualizing it turning into a flying projectile that destroys my truck. I don't EVER talk to them, so I'm not sure if I am ready to go politely ask them to take it down.... Would you?

I say don't worry about it. When hurricane Ike hit my neighborhood it's windspeeds were 1 mph under Cat. 3. Some houses lost shingles and some trees were knocked down yet there was no damage done by flying debris. Every house here is surrounded by weak cedar plank fencing and none of these planks were torn loose. My opinion from ONE hurricane is the risk from debris missles is over-rated.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#230684 - 08/26/11 04:28 PM Re: Irene [Re: Krista]
Frisket Offline
Addict

While getting everything ready I have discovered the next ABSOLUTELY MUST purchase: battery powered radio. I think I put too much faith in "being informed by someone else" because I do live on a military base. I sort of expect them to "take care of us" as far as keeping us informed (They have the neighborhood P.A. sytems and such).

If you need the radio fast Most radio shacks around me have a Handfull of Eton/Grundig Radios battery And Crank.

#230685 - 08/26/11 04:29 PM Re: Irene [Re: Blast]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
My neighbor across the street has a flag on a pole that they haven't taken down yet. I keep visualizing it turning into a flying projectile that destroys my truck. I don't EVER talk to them, so I'm not sure if I am ready to go politely ask them to take it down.... Would you?

I say don't worry about it. When hurricane Ike hit my neighborhood it's windspeeds were 1 mph under Cat. 3. Some houses lost shingles and some trees were knocked down yet there was no damage done by flying debris. Every house here is surrounded by weak cedar plank fencing and none of these planks were torn loose. My opinion from ONE hurricane is the risk from debris missles is over-rated.

-Blast

But but but but but!!! THe media told me it could send a egg threw a treeeee! A TREEEEEEE!

#230687 - 08/26/11 04:32 PM Re: Irene [Re: Krista]
celler Offline
Addict

<snip>I've been into prepping long enough to NOT be a part of the "French Toast brigade (rushing out for milk, bread, and eggs)" or the gas pump lines.

I used to be a card carrying member of the French Toast Brigade. In the years after Hurricane Andrew, the worst part of any storm scare was going to the grocery store to find almost completely empty shelves (almost surreal if you have ever experienced it), long gas lines, and people clogging up the Home Depot to buy plywood.

The I bought some MREs, five DOT approved gas cans, fuel stabilizer (a must), three food grade plastic water storage drums, and various battery options for emergency power.

I don't even go near the Home Depot or grocery store before a storm. I top the car off with gas a couple days in advance before the craze and then don't worry about it.

#230688 - 08/26/11 04:32 PM Re: Irene [Re: Frisket]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

[quote=FrisketBut but but but but!!! THe media told me it could send a egg threw a treeeee! A TREEEEEEE![/quote]

Must have been hard boiled.

#230689 - 08/26/11 04:34 PM Re: Irene [Re: celler]
Frisket Offline
Addict

<snip>I've been into prepping long enough to NOT be a part of the "French Toast brigade (rushing out for milk, bread, and eggs)" or the gas pump lines.

I used to be a card carrying member of the French Toast Brigade. In the years after Hurricane Andrew, the worst part of any storm scare was going to the grocery store to find almost completely empty shelves (almost surreal if you have ever experienced it), long gas lines, and people clogging up the Home Depot to buy plywood.

The I bought some MREs, five DOT approved gas cans, fuel stabilizer (a must), three food grade plastic water storage drums, and various battery options for emergency power.

I don't even go near the Home Depot or grocery store before a storm. I top the car off with gas a couple days in advance before the craze and then don't worry about it.

Id Suggest Getting a 5 Gallon Gas can with that kinda distance between filling up and such.

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.