Topic Options
#230571 - 08/25/11 06:00 PM Re: Irene [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
The article didn't mention Long Island. I don't know the topography there -- is it low enough for people to have to vacate most of it? That would be a mess... and I wonder how long it would take?

The storm surge flooding could be extensive. Cat 4 is in Green Cat 1 is red etc. So a Cat 4 storm would push the Atlantic ocean inland about 2 miles over most of the Atlantic Ocean side of Long Island.

The numbers involved would be more than 2 million people affected with a Cat 4 storm i.e. flooded out and probably around 0.5 million with a Cat 1 storm. i.e. more than the numbers affected by the Katrina Debacle.

That map is not comforting - I'm firmly in the red zone!

We're packing, and getting ready to head for high ground tomorrow. I'm amazed by the number of people I speak to, many with young kids, who as very unconcerned about the whole thing. The general response is that all we're going to get is some wind and rain. It looks to me like there's a chance that the eye of a cat 1 hurricane will pass within 20 miles of here!

Wish me (and my poor house) luck!

#230575 - 08/25/11 06:25 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The U.S. Navy is sending 27 ships based in Norfolk, Virginia, out to sea to ride out Irene, a senior Navy official told CNN. An aircraft carrier is among them. Another 28 ships will seek more sheltered areas.

Three submarines were heading out to sea, as well.

CNN's Larry Shaughnessy, on board the USS WASP, could see several warships ahead and others behind as they steadily worked their way out into the Atlantic. There are 1,500 personnel on board the WASP -- 1,000 sailors and 500 Marines. Things were orderly on the ship, Shaughnessy said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/25/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is quite strange! considering ships usually head for harbour during a storm. Even more strange if the carrier was to ride out the storm would be to disembark any unnecessary crew such as the marines. Looks like a mobilisation effort has already begun.

Quote:
We're packing, and getting ready to head for high ground tomorrow. I'm amazed by the number of people I speak to, many with young kids, who as very unconcerned about the whole thing. The general response is that all we're going to get is some wind and rain. It looks to me like there's a chance that the eye of a cat 1 hurricane will pass within 20 miles of here!

Wish me (and my poor house) luck!

As Major Bloomberg will be announcing any mandatory evacuation I believe on Friday afternoon/evening it might be an idea to Bug out before the weekend before the traffic chaos. I would bug out even if Major Bloomberg announces that New York can take anything Hurricane Irene can throw at the city.

Good Luck for both your family and your home.

#230580 - 08/25/11 06:53 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I grew up in the south shore "red zone" a full 60 second walk from Great South Bay (the part between Long Island proper and the barrier island, Fire Island). We were in "Bayport* and a full and commanding 2.5 feet above average high tide.

Evacuation from Long Island is a bad joke. It is not possible for a mass of people: you have to go by boat OR through New York City (Brooklyn and Queens), and across one or more bridges to get to the mainland. The only real alternative if you live on the south shore is to head north, to the North Shore of Long Island, which is much higher than the South Shore (by 10's of feet). Seems the Glacier that formed Long Island dropped most of its accumulated sand/dirt/rocks in what is now the north shore, and the sand that ran off formed the south. The south shore is all sand covered by top soil.

We had close relatives on the north shore.

* Yes, the same Bayport of "The Hardy Boys" boys' books fame. At least the original books describe and had a depiction of our train station.

#230582 - 08/25/11 07:03 PM Re: Irene [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
The U.S. Navy is sending 27 ships based in Norfolk, Virginia, out to sea to ride out Irene, a senior Navy official told CNN. An aircraft carrier is among them. Another 28 ships will seek more sheltered areas.

Three submarines were heading out to sea, as well.

CNN's Larry Shaughnessy, on board the USS WASP, could see several warships ahead and others behind as they steadily worked their way out into the Atlantic. There are 1,500 personnel on board the WASP -- 1,000 sailors and 500 Marines. Things were orderly on the ship, Shaughnessy said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/25/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is quite strange! considering ships usually head for harbour during a storm. Even more strange if the carrier was to ride out the storm would be to disembark any unnecessary crew such as the marines. Looks like a mobilisation effort has already begun.

Not unusual at all. Small ships seek sheltered areas, big ships head to sea. That's just SOP. Ships almost always embark their full compliment when heading out as you never know what they may be called upon to do next. Returning to base is not a given.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#230607 - 08/25/11 09:23 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Doug beat me to it!

Ships can take the storm at sea better than being slammed by coastal waves in shallow water.

Sue

#230615 - 08/25/11 10:51 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Also, the ship is home for many of the crew. They have no housing on land.

#230658 - 08/26/11 11:44 AM Re: Irene [Re: bws48]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I grew up in Bay Shore and remember how fragile Fire Island was during a number of storms.

Pete

#230668 - 08/26/11 02:36 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not to mention, if those ships are needed for rescue efforts, they're already manned.

Can you imagine a 800 foot long ship banging up against a concrete dock for 24 hours? I'll take the tossing about ...

#230673 - 08/26/11 03:13 PM Re: Irene [Re: MDinana]
desolation Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoma County, CA
Originally Posted By: MDinana

Can you imagine a 800 foot long ship banging up against a concrete dock for 24 hours? I'll take the tossing about ...

Erp... Makes me seasick just thinking about. But yeah, better at sea than at dock.

Good luck to those of you in the path. If it were me, I'd grab the family, gear and go. Beat the rush, so to speak. If nothing substantial happens, call it a good test of your preparations for the next event!

#230675 - 08/26/11 03:50 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Well, I'm ready! smile I'm in eastern nc, and it's starting to get a tiny bit windy and rainy. I don't wish any kind disaster on anyone, but I DO have to admit that I like a legitimate reason to "test" my preparedness.

While getting everything ready I have discovered the next ABSOLUTELY MUST purchase: battery powered radio. I think I put too much faith in "being informed by someone else" because I do live on a military base. I sort of expect them to "take care of us" as far as keeping us informed (They have the neighborhood P.A. sytems and such).

My neighbor across the street has a flag on a pole that they haven't taken down yet. I keep visualizing it turning into a flying projectile that destroys my truck. frown I don't EVER talk to them, so I'm not sure if I am ready to go politely ask them to take it down.... Would you?

~Marion C. Garretty

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.