The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#231167 - 08/31/11 08:45 PM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: Eugene]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Out local power company had an extended outage because they were not keeping up on tree trimming then a major ice store caused a lot of overhanging tree branches to knock down lines so everyone complained, they were in the news, etc.
So in the spring they came out and butchered everyones trees, cut out about 2/3 of the big tree that shaded our house, made a huge lopsided tree that looked terrible.
So its a catch 22, complain too much to the electric company and loose all your shade trees.

Our local power company (a cooperative) is one of the few that I've seen that does a very good job of keeping lines clean. And luckily, they also happen to sub contract out alot of the work to a company that has competent employees. In cases like your tree, they ask the homeowner how they want it done: this much of the tree MUST go, you can go further to the point of cutting the whole thing down if you want. Shrubs that don't have a chance of growing high enough to interfere with the lines will be left, but if its a tree, and its in the right-of-way, its gone. They also pick everything up after they leave (free loads of mulch if you want it).

The other company in the area (SCE&G), just plain sucks IMO. They're the ones that leave trees that are already around the lines, if they bother to ever trim anything at all. Only thing I've seen them do lately is go and spray under the lines, so now everywhere you go, you see a bunch of dead brown trees and brush, and they have no plans to remove any of it.

#231306 - 09/02/11 02:10 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I thought that this was an interesting article on how the NHC missed the mark, as far as wind speed is concerned, with Irene. However, they were 20% better than average on predicting the storm track, and that's an immensely critical thing to know as well.

Anyway, I think it's important to read about it and be aware of forecasting misses like this so that we don't simply become completely cynical about all forecasts in the future.

How Irene's forecast missed the mark and why it could happen again

#231309 - 09/02/11 02:34 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Has anyone read anything, looking back, about how the evacuation in NYC worked out, in particular, the evacuation of the hospitals and nursing homes? Personally, I thought it was one of the more intriguing stories in the days before Irene hit the NY area.

As far as I am aware, none of these patients died or were injured further as a result of the evacuation, which is amazing if that's true.

The only thing I was able to find afterwards was an article mentioning the billing nightmare that the evacuation caused over who pays for what.

#231329 - 09/03/11 01:21 AM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: speedemon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There seems to be a wide discrepancy over the numbers who lost electrical power during the tropical storm.

Quote:
Utilities restored about 7.4 million customers by Wednesday, according to an Associated Press tally of company reports. Hundreds of communities are still without power.

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-news...-irene/6288694/

compared with
Quote:

Over 6.4 million customers lacked power at the height of the outages, the department noted.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/09/02/irene.aftermath/index.html

So how many are still without grid power now getting on for a week? Are there still over 1 million people still affected with no electrical power 1 week in? frown (assuming 1.5-2 actual people per customer)

It doesn't look to good if there really was a black start electrical grid requirement for something like a Carrington solar storm event or even a more substantial hurricane as Irene was barely a tropical storm when it passed over New York.

Maybe there are just still so many without power still that we haven't yet heard the full chorus of anger for being cut off for so long via the interweb. crazy

Question;

Rather than have a vastly expensive state internal security (DHS) and emergency response organisation (FEMA), would it not be more sensible in just making infrastructure such as Electrical grid generation and transmission supply simply more resilient?

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/03/11 01:30 AM)

#231336 - 09/03/11 11:23 AM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
FWIW, our local power company reports 11,304 customers still out as of 8:20 am this morning. This is what remains of their total of 750,204 outages since the storm began. Last public statement they made had almost everyone to be back by Friday night, with "a few" remaining on Saturday.

Under the heading of credit where it is due, they have a web page where you can keep track of the numbers:
http://www.bge.com/customerservice/stormsoutages/currentoutages/Pages/default.aspx

#231396 - 09/04/11 10:02 PM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

UK Daily Mail article on an unprepared Brit dealing with the Hurricane, er Tropical storm, er Gale Irene (as Sharon Churcher described the storm) on how to Survive in the days after (well just about). wink

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...d-country-.html

Quote:
My handful of conveniences – a fridge, a hairdryer, an iron and a lamp – were powered by a petrol-fed generator tethered to my kitchen by a spaghetti-like arrangement of extension leads.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/04/11 10:28 PM)

#231399 - 09/04/11 10:55 PM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

"For what seemed like five endless days last week, my life consisted of an unpleasant struggle to survive."

What we're forgetting here of course is that the entitlement brigade do see it as survival when blow drying the hair or ironing the Calvin Kleins and the petrol for the gennie runs out. laugh

#231401 - 09/04/11 11:04 PM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I think the point she is saying in a whiny "why me" way is that she wasn't in Haiti, she was on the outskirts of NYC and it wasn't even a proper hurricane, just a gale.

S*** happens, even in NY, deal with it. I remember ice storms back in the '50's -- yeah, dating myself.

#231402 - 09/04/11 11:25 PM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Quote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...d-country-.html

My handful of conveniences – a fridge, a hairdryer, an iron and a lamp – were powered by a petrol-fed generator tethered to my kitchen by a spaghetti-like arrangement of extension leads.
I suspect there are many people in the area hit by Irene who would feel very lucky to have a "...petrol-fed generator..." available.

I recall being surprised ahwile back at reading a FEMA blurb on disaster preparaitions that suggested people have a "manual can opener". I should know better by now, but it still boggles my mind that people get so dependent on electical conveniences that they can't even open a can when the power goes off.

#231404 - 09/04/11 11:45 PM Re: Hurricane Irene [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
We don't have an electric can opener. I have three very nice manual openers though.

Same with coffee -- no electric drip coffee maker, I use a Melitta 6-Cup Manual Coffeemaker. If I can boil water with an electric stove (at home in the kitchen), a propane camp stove, a Svea 123 or a circle of rocks with an open fire, I can make a good cup of coffee -- or Chai/Tea.

Many modern "conveniences" are a trap.

I just hope my Kindle has a full charge wink

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.