Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#230468 - 08/24/11 07:29 PM Re: Irene [Re: NuggetHoarder]
sheldon Offline

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
There are circumstances where you could encounter roadblocks into your neighborhood and you don't want to hand out your driver's license to a soldier or other non-policeman if you don't have to.

Why not, what are the risks?

#230471 - 08/24/11 07:52 PM Re: Irene [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I would add that you should carry a couple recent electric bills with you with your name and address. It's not enough to have just a driver's license. There are circumstances where you could encounter roadblocks into your neighborhood and you don't want to hand out your driver's license to a soldier or other non-policeman if you don't have to. Much better to try to use an electric bill first and keep your license in your pocket.

It seems like carrying some sort of utility bill or bank statement might be a good idea in case your driver's license is not enough to prove your identity for whatever purpose, but it's hard for me to imagine how this would help you out at the roadblock.

Assume the roadblock is run by soldiers, police auxiliaries, etc. Not showing your license to begin with might make you look suspicious, and they'll ask, "Do you not have your license on you? Is that why you handed me this bill? Have you forfeited your license, sir? Please step out of the vehicle."

Assume the roadblock is run by robbers. You're better off just backing up and driving away. It's a little hard for me to see how your electric bill would help you. Maybe I'm missing something here...

Da Bing

#230484 - 08/24/11 09:37 PM Re: Irene [Re: NuggetHoarder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Finally, stay safe. If you arrive at your damaged home with your wife and kids - sit them down and tell them that the number one thing is to NOT get injured. An injury like a nail through the foot or hand will cause your entire party to have to stop everything and address the injury and definitive care will not be a few minutes away like it used to be. Number one is DON'T GET INJURED. Go slow, think about each action - even little things like a child accidentally drinking water from a tap. Watch for nails and glass - hazards will be everywhere.

Good luck to you and your family and I wish you the best.

Excelllent advice. My understanding is that typically just as many fatalities occur during after action cleanup as happen during the actual storm event. I'll bet that works for earthquakes and other widespread disasters as well.

#230496 - 08/24/11 10:39 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
The problem with roadblocks is that they are chaotic, crowded, and disorganized. 1,000 people show up to get through, but they are only letting a few through. It's manned by a bunch of 19 year old soldiers who don't really know the bigger picture they are just told to stand there and they couldn't care less about you or your house.

The real problem arises because a lot of the people who show up at the roadblock want to go through the neighborhood to some other neighborhood and they get turned back. They are told to go around and enter from another side. There might be several roadblocks that you have to go through.

When you finally show up to your neighborhood's roadblock you don't normally need a license. You just need something like a utility bill or a bank statement with your address on it. The soldier will take your utility bill and then walk away to a tent somewhere and someone higher up like a Sargent or whatever will try to find your address on a map because they don't know your neighborhood. This can take seemingly forever because these people have never been to your neighborhood and don't know the area. They are NG soldiers from some faraway place. In the meantime, you're standing there waiting in a sea of pissed off people. It is chaos. Don't give up your license - you may not get it back.

You may or may not get through that first checkpoint, and you may or may not get your utility bill back so carry a few if you can. You might get sent to another roadblock and when you ask for your bill back it is nowhere to be found.

This is exactly what happened to my grandfather, mother and me in Homestead after Hurricane Andrew. It was an absolute nightmare trying to get back into my grandfather's neighborhood. I've heard that Katrina was even worse.

Sure, you should carry your license but don't give it up unless you have to. Only a cop understands the importance of that little document so keep it away from civilian and military roadblock "attendants" if possible.

#230538 - 08/25/11 02:28 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Mayor Bloomberg announces Friday if low-lying parts of NYC will need to be evacuated.
Story Here

He actually told resident to prepare "Go Bags" with water, non-perishable food, medications, important papers and extra house and car keys!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#230543 - 08/25/11 02:50 PM Re: Irene [Re: Blast]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
That IS good.

And here's a reassuring quote from the article: "The Police Department has 50 small boats to use in the event of floods."

For all of NYC?!

#230549 - 08/25/11 03:48 PM Re: Irene [Re: nurit]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And here's a reassuring quote from the article: "The Police Department has 50 small boats to use in the event of floods."

That would be 1 Police Dept small boat per 40,000 folks as the coastline could be potentially 'Reshaped' according to Elliot Abrams frown

http://www.accuweather.com/video/90586657001/irenes-fury-aimed-dc-to-phill.asp

#230557 - 08/25/11 04:37 PM Re: Irene [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Hospitals have checked their emergency power generators, stocks of medicine and other supplies.

What do you want to bet that all of the generators and the supply floor of these hospitals are on the ground floor or in the basements?

They are at the hospital where my sister works, and the hospital is near a river in a flood-prone area. There's even a big delivery ramp to the basement.

The article didn't mention Long Island. I don't know the topography there -- is it low enough for people to have to vacate most of it? That would be a mess... and I wonder how long it would take?

Sue

#230558 - 08/25/11 04:38 PM Re: Irene [Re: Jesselp]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Perhaps another way of looking at the small number of boats is this: "Our resources are limited, so if it looks like things may get rough, leave the area ASAP!"

#230566 - 08/25/11 05:39 PM Re: Irene [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The article didn't mention Long Island. I don't know the topography there -- is it low enough for people to have to vacate most of it? That would be a mess... and I wonder how long it would take?

The storm surge flooding could be extensive. Cat 4 is in Green Cat 1 is red etc. So a Cat 4 storm would push the Atlantic ocean inland about 2 miles over most of the Atlantic Ocean side of Long Island.

The numbers involved would be more than 2 million people affected with a Cat 4 storm i.e. flooded out and probably around 0.5 million with a Cat 1 storm. i.e. more than the numbers affected by the Katrina Debacle.

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.