The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#230404 - 08/24/11 01:52 AM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Thank you. There have also been strange animal behaviors noted, changing well levels, etc. None of these has been consistently associated with earthquake events to my knowledge. Reliable earthquake prediction is still in the future IMHO.

I thought it's been proved fairly recently that strange animal behavior may at times be found prior to an earthquake because of the release of a certain chemical or gas (don't remember which) which accompanies the sort of big geological movements that precede an earthquake. The next step is developing some sort of satellite-based technology to detect the release of said chemical or gas, rather than relying on animals. I am probably remembering this wrong, but this came out around the big earthquake in China. Do we have earthquake scientists among us? Or at least someone who wants to google a bit? Am too lazy right now.

Da Bing

#230405 - 08/24/11 02:01 AM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Reliable earthquake prediction is still in the future IMHO

That might be the case, but even defining what would be considered 'Reliable' to the public doesn't really matter anyway. Would the authorities tell anyone of their suspicions that a there was a 60% chance of a 7+ earthquake within a 200 mile by 10 mile fault area in the next 5 weeks be an acceptable criteria . Where does the threshold lie before informing the Public of the potential threat? esp when you have organisations such as the USGS publically stating categorically that Earthquakes cannot be predicted with any degree of accuracy (but still have yet to define the accuracy threshold)

What is the point of the USGS's work on Earthquake monitoring if this is the case. Their work should have been wound up years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6wXT0IELww @9:18 wink

#230407 - 08/24/11 02:49 AM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Reliable earthquake prediction is still in the future IMHO

Would the authorities tell anyone of their suspicions that a there was a 60% chance of a 7+ earthquake within a 200 mile by 10 mile fault area in the next 5 weeks be an acceptable criteria . Where does the threshold lie before informing the Public of the potential threat?

Well not to poke holes, but the American press loves to spout ridiculous statements exactly like that. According to them Washington State is under constant scare of Mt. Rainer exploding and at any moment varying parts of California will be destroyed by an earthquake. Oh and some stupid Plant X, Nirhiu(?) event is happening. All my loony Facebook friends are posting stuff on that.

#230412 - 08/24/11 08:02 AM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: Andy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Andy
Felt it strongly in SE PA 130 miles north of DC. Apparently the "old crust" under the east coast is very efficient in spreading the waves outwards.

Last one I felt on the east cost was in early '73.

I know our west coast members are laughing their *a&&*s off.

Yup. I was smile 5.8? I sleep through those. OK, really, it's a decent size.

I feel bad for my wife. She's from Wisconsin, I'm a Cali boy. She's never felt one. We live in VA, maybe 80 miles from the epicenter. Of course, she's out of the country right now.

Oh, public service announcement: Don't go running into the streets people. That's just going to get you hit by cars. From experience, I can tell you a 6.2 isn't always felt when you're driving. I bet almost everyone in a car yesterday didn't know it was happening, and if you run in front of them, they're not expecting it.

Edited by MDinana (08/24/11 08:07 AM)

#230414 - 08/24/11 09:56 AM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: bws48]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Glad to hear everyone is ok. smile

#230416 - 08/24/11 10:37 AM Re: Earthquake [Re: paramedicpete]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Agreed, very interesting to feel the earth move. Really puts a perspective on just how much energy is in an earthquake. Clearly felt it here in Alexandria, VA.

Bill

#230417 - 08/24/11 10:57 AM Re: Earthquake [Re: bws48]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Honestly if I had been in the VA quake I might have resisted the WA instinct to duck cover and hold, and simply bend over and kiss my arse goodbye, expecting a blast wave to follow.

I first heard about the quake from a TV in a hallway, CNN said it was centered 85 miles SW of DC and I automatically thought oh boy, there's are nuclear reactors right about there, maybe something catastrophic happened.

Its interesting to me that both of my initial reactions had nothing to do with earthquakes - I think more often of the DC area as a strategic target area for enemies of the US. Didn't realize it also had serious EQs.

Best thread of the event goes on over on zombiehunters.org, where wags have already rationalized the cause of the EQ as the lizard people, specifically an angry attempt to surface after an offer to feed Congress to the lizard queen was rebuffed. Love it.

#230421 - 08/24/11 11:58 AM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: Bingley]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
The local media is reporting (with 20/20 hindsight) that some of the animals at the National Zoo did react with alarm/alert types of behaviors and vocalizations prior to the earthquake.

Pete

#230423 - 08/24/11 12:33 PM Re: Earthquake [Re: Lono]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Lono
Honestly if I had been in the VA quake I might have resisted the WA instinct to duck cover and hold, and simply bend over and kiss my arse goodbye, expecting a blast wave to follow.

I first heard about the quake from a TV in a hallway, CNN said it was centered 85 miles SW of DC and I automatically thought oh boy, there's are nuclear reactors right about there, maybe something catastrophic happened.

Its interesting to me that both of my initial reactions had nothing to do with earthquakes - I think more often of the DC area as a strategic target area for enemies of the US. Didn't realize it also had serious EQs.

Lono -- you are spot-on. No one I've talked to here has said their initial thought was that it was an earthquake. Most said their first instinct was that there had been a construction accident near or at wherever they were at the time.

The next thought was that there had been a terrorist attack. That's the one that was in my mind when I hustled outside. It was out there that I heard speculation of an earthquake and checked the USGS website.

My first thought on the earthquake possibility was that there had been a catastrophic New Madrid quake and like 1811-1812, it was "ringing bells" back east. When I saw on the USGS site that it was Virginia, my geology geekdom kicked in. I'd previously read everything I could find on Virginia/Mid-Atlantic seismicity.

People in cars had a variety of reactions. One friend was on the 14th Street Bridge and did not notice anything. Another was driving in Bethesda and thought something was terribly wrong with his car and put the transmission in neutral thinking that was the problem.

This degree of shaking in DC has not happened in anyone's lifetime so yesterday's quake lacked context for most of us. I grew up in Los Angeles and remember the '71 Sylmar quake (6.5 magnitude) but that happened at 6:00a and woke us up.

9/11 was my context for this event so thoughts went to attack -- massive bomb explosion. Really, on my way outside my mind was processing how large a bomb(s) would be to cause the earth to move in that way and for such a period of time.

Was relieved to discover it was an earthquake.

#230427 - 08/24/11 01:06 PM Re: 5.8 Quake in Washington DC area [Re: GettingThere]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GettingThere
The Capitol is policed by its own force, and they take a dim view of weaponry.

While not as good for many things as a dedicated folder or fixed-blade knife, I can get a multitool many places where a knife isn't welcome.

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/24/11 01:07 PM)
Edit Reason: Stupid iPhone autocorrect

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.