The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#229416 - 08/08/11 08:11 AM New Ribz front pack now out
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Another product that I'm stoked about is the new version of the Ribz Front Pack. I have the original Ribz (with the Velcro) but after seeing some video reviews on youtube of the newest version I decided to order one. If you haven't used this pack you really should check them out; at least check out the vids of them. Very, very handy and quite comfy to wear.

#229420 - 08/08/11 11:21 AM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#229431 - 08/08/11 02:43 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the old original RIBZ front pack still in the back of the cupboard, the newer version seems to have the improvements the old version desperately required such as removing the incredibly annoying exposed hook velcro belt and noisy materials. Even then its usefulness for me is somewhat limited, the main drawback is that the front pack is quite uncomfortable to wear when fully packed out and eventually leads to overheating in warm weather and it interferes with any main pack that I have. I also don't particular like the restricted feeling it gives when wearing a backpack. For cold weather use a good jacket with large front pockets is again much more comfortable i.e. the classic British Army smock or even a Laksen Goretex Shooting Jacket.

It is also very expensive i.e. a complete Osprey LBE Assault MOLLE vest pack can be had for £30.

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20145&from=22

It does have its uses though as a cheap (expensive) and cheerful fishing vest rig.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/08/11 02:45 PM)

#229439 - 08/08/11 04:32 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
thanks. that was a wonderful diversion for a hour or so, going down all the rabbit holes off the main site. I have been looking at a front back for a long time, I think I looked at the original back in 2008/2009.

Looks good. I'll put this in the POSSIBLE BUY file

#229442 - 08/08/11 05:24 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I like the concept. One thing, the site says, "The use of a front pack repositions a portion of your weight forward..." In my mind, that statement does not give me a good visualization what is actually happening. Obviously, the pack adds weight in front of me.

However, I'm imagining my body weight is actually shifted backward to counteract the front pack. That's how it is when I wear my baby carrier, which holds my baby in front. That's what I would want anyway.

I would like to see a video of somebody snowboarding with this thing. The most comfortable set up for me while snowboarding is no gear besides my essentials (boots, shell, goggles, etc.). Anything extra requires much thought and deliberation. I don't think I'd want to snowboard with this.

#229444 - 08/08/11 05:43 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have not tried one out but it does not look like it would be comfortable for women.

Jeanette Isabelle

#229447 - 08/08/11 06:25 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Actually they're quite popular with women. If you look through their gallery you'll see that they're doable for women's frames.

I have the orange Survival Resources exclusive version which I dedicate to fishing. These front packs seem to have found two really good niche markets. Fishermen and women with babies who hike.

Case and point...

That is helpful. Thankyou.

Jeanette Isabelle

#229453 - 08/08/11 08:55 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
For those that have used RIBZ:

How full can you fill the RIBZ pack? It looks like if you put too much gear in it, it would really get in the way. In other words, you probably have to keep just a minimal amount of stuff in your RIBZ in order for them to work. Maybe a PSK, chapstick, sunscreen, a PLB (something like that), and that's about it, yes?

I can't really tell: What has changed on the newest release?

Lastly: Why not just wear a fanny pack backwards and use that backwards fanny pack as your front pack? Wouldn't that be a lot cheaper? I'm not trying to knock the RIBZ pack; I'm genuinely trying to understand if the RIBZ pack offers anything I can't get with equipment I already have.

It does seem like for someone who is in and out of a vehicle a lot, that the RIBZ pack would be a great way to make sure the essentials stay with you.

Originally Posted By: Russ
Thanks for the link; that's quite a discount!

HJ

#229456 - 08/08/11 09:18 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I guess I'm agreeing with HikerJim. Still so not impressed. My old set of TA-50 works more or less like this. Add pouches for more stuff, I'm not talking Molle btw, I'm talking ALICE.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't a vest work just as well and not have all the stuff in only two pouches?

#229461 - 08/08/11 10:21 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I think the RIBZ vest hits on a few things well.The first is (as stated)it can be worn with a pack.This is similar to what the military is doing now.The Ribz just offers a more civilian (less tactical)option of which is a second thing.The third thing is it can be loaded with vital gear in case you get seperated from your pack.Keeping in a pack with your regular gear is counter productive in my opinion.If you loose your pack from loosing footing at a stream crossing you have nothing.If canoeing and you capsize and loose your pack same thing.As our host says"if it isn't on you it can't save you".The Ribz offers a way to do just that.I would rather have more than just an mint tin of gear if Murphy's law happened on me.....

BOATMAN
John

I don't have a Ribz but have been eyeing them for a while

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.