Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#227837 - 07/14/11 01:13 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a few Ripoffs holsters. They're excellent.

#227849 - 07/14/11 05:04 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Eugene
its not so much the fact that the belt is interget, it will slide out and can be replaced with another belt...

There's the solution: get a better belt. Looking at that link it appears a 1.5" webbing belt would fit OK in the waistband. Something on the order of DownRange Gear's Lightweight Utility Belt would be good.

Considering costs, you'll have to buy either a belt or a sheath. I'd get the improved belt then enjoy the improved load carrying capability and vastly improved equipment retention.

#227894 - 07/15/11 08:55 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

I also have a Maxpedition cell phone case that has that clip.

I was concerned when I bought it because I had had the phone fall off a couple of times with other cases. However, the case has been absolutely secure on my belt. Also, the fastener is a Fastex buckle on an elastic strap--quite secure.

Maxpedition has the cases in several sizes.

#227896 - 07/15/11 10:03 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: MDinana]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I think Night Eyez has a sheath line. For some reason i can't find them on Google, but I know they're still around.

I've owned their pager sheath coming up on 10 years, hard-used for at least 2 of those, and it's still strong as an ox.
+1 on Nite Ize. Best cell phone case I've ever owned.

Looks like they do have some cases that would take a Leatherman: http://www.niteize.com/collections/tools

I've had very few problems with my case coming off my belt, but very few does not equal zero. Still, it's a good case, especially with a good thick leather belt. A thin nylon belt will slip out more easily.

I'm with hikemor. I don't buy pants with those stupid integrated belts anymore. What a dumb idea.

HJ

#227909 - 07/16/11 04:36 AM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I ran into a very similar problem this winter; I have a great pair of fleece lined pants but the drawback to them is the much maligned (and rightly so in my opinion) integrated belt.

Wanting to still have my knife handy on my belt when out camping, I'd managed to fit a large carabiner through the sheath's belt loop and then clipped the caribiner to the belt. This worked mostly okay, but in my case not well enough. Carrying a knife this way means the knife pivots & swings around a bit and generally moves more than it would when riding on a belt. At one point my snap came undone and, being a more handle heavy knife, fell out of the sheath. Fortunately after digging in the snow a bit I found it. In other words, it wasn't exactly a confidence inspiring set-up.

This thread made me re-think this problem and I think I have a workable solution now. I noticed looking at some of the ESEE knives that the sheath instructions showed methods for using paracord to lash their sheaths to a belt (example).

I realised there is no reason this wouldn't work for a regular sheath. Basically I just put some cord through the sheath, down through the belt, back through the sheath, up under the belt, etc. and then tied it off. It looks something like this (in this case, done on a backpack strap):

When I tried this on a belt it felt nice & secure. This is definitely the way I will be approaching this problem in the future.

#228043 - 07/19/11 01:17 AM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A magazine (.45acp or 9mm 15rd) pouch may also prove useful as a Leatherman sheath.

#228059 - 07/19/11 02:50 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: wildman800]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wildman800
A magazine (.45acp or 9mm 15rd) pouch may also prove useful as a Leatherman sheath.

I frequently use a Leatherman sheath as a low-profile mag pouch.

#228114 - 07/20/11 09:32 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

As has been said, Nite Ize has what you are looking for, if you can't find NiteIze, try Pockits, their line of tool holsters Pockits Stretch

Edited by Crowe (07/20/11 09:32 PM)

#230187 - 08/21/11 07:50 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ok, looking at this some more its not the belt rather the belt look that covers 3/4 of the pants, any sheath is going to be pushed around to being right over the pockets. I really like the pants otherwise, anyone have suggestions on other brands/models?
It would be nice if I could find someone that sells them in a 33" waist rather than 32" or 34" as well.

#230189 - 08/21/11 08:25 PM Re: Need a Leatherman sheath that clips on to belt [Re: Eugene]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Eugene, if you can't find any solutions you need, worse case scenario go to Jeff (aka rainwalker from over at the Yard forum). He can make you literally any type of configuration you want weather in Kydex or leather. His quality is top notch and you want find anything much better IMHO. He does a ton of custom work for the Busse kin knives and setups plus everything from Guyot design kydex bottle holders to swords, etc.. He can make it if you can't find any solution. Like I said he would be a last chance option if you need it, all you have to do is shoot him a email with what you want, he then will tell you how much it will cost and both of you work out what idea works best with you. He can do cliplocks as well if you need, which sounds like what you want,a combo of a slide on clip that locks and want come off if hung upside down and climbing or swimming.

http://sites.google.com/site/rainwalkercreations/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.