Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230098 - 08/19/11 10:51 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

As I read more about this from various news sources, I am gradually coming to realize that this hubbub is really a case of bad news reporting. It seems that some news articles misrepresent the funding and the institutional provenance of the paper, and I am also getting the sense that they also misrepresent the content of the paper. Some journalists have magnified one small aspect of the paper (the hypothetical scenario involving aliens and climate change) in order to exploit the controversy. In other words, twist the truth to sell the story and make a big splash.

I'm sorry I brought such junk news to your attention. I just thought it might be helpful and fun to see that scientists are also thinking about (and therefore prepare for) end-of-the-world scenarios.

Da Bing

#230107 - 08/20/11 12:49 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Stop prepping for earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, and tornadoes! The sky is falling! Uh, I mean, the aliens are coming!

As if aliens would care what we did with our isolated planet.

HJ

#230108 - 08/20/11 12:58 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Stop prepping for earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, and tornadoes! The sky is falling! Uh, I mean, the aliens are coming!

What about another Carrington Event. The powers that be, know about the potential for it and they know how to harden the Electrical Grid to counter it. With Black starts and nuclear reactors popping all over the US, they may conclude to tell the public, 'it was the Space Aliens what did it. We need to re-arm now!!!' wink

#230111 - 08/20/11 01:19 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If there are space aliens out there, they're probably sitting around filing their talons or farting cyanide gas or something.

They don't have to do anything to us, we're well on our way to killing ourselves off. Then, all they have to do is vaporize what's left of the dead bodies (the count will depend on how fast we die off), and move in.

Of course, the alternative is if the zombies kill us off first, then the aliens will have to deal with them. But it shouldn't be too much trouble, I've heard they don't move very fast.

Sue

#230115 - 08/20/11 01:58 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Everyone grab *all* your camp stoves! We'll light them simultaneously as the alien invasion fleet enters the solar system. The aliens will see the massive heat signature and think we've finally gone and nuked ourselves into oblivion. No point in invading a radioactive cinder. Invasion averted! Saved by ... wait for it... hydrocarbons! Huzzah!

HJ

#230116 - 08/20/11 01:59 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
sotto Offline
Addict

I believe the chance of us being contacted intentionally by any intelligent extraterrestrial lifeform is zilch, zippo, nada, way less than none. In comparison to the rest of the cosmos, we en masse are probably way tinier than even the tiniest spec of insignificant sub-atomic particle currently known to nuclear physics. IMHO, of course. ;-)

#230126 - 08/20/11 03:31 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i like the story where the first person the aliens meet is a kid out hunting rabbits,when the fearsome guys from Xg 1000 open fire their weapon does nothing more than burn a hole in his polyfluff hoodie,he shoots back with his 22 and the round goes thru not only the aliens armor but thru their "tank" and the space ship.in the end we become Masters Of The Universe!!

#230138 - 08/20/11 02:43 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Hikin_Jim]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Everyone grab *all* your camp stoves! We'll light them simultaneously as the alien invasion fleet enters the solar system. The aliens will see the massive heat signature and think we've finally gone and nuked ourselves into oblivion. No point in invading a radioactive cinder. Invasion averted! Saved by ... wait for it... hydrocarbons! Huzzah!

That would work if everyone had as many camp stoves as you :-).

#230150 - 08/20/11 05:52 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Everyone grab *all* your camp stoves! We'll light them simultaneously as the alien invasion fleet enters the solar system... Huzzah!

I think this option then leads us to catch the atmosphere on fire, burning everything on the surface to a crisp and thus doing to ourselves what we were trying to avoid from the alien invasion. Then, a million years later, larger, intelligent descendants of ants take over the earth. Charlton Heston would be a logical lead to do the movie version, or his computer animated avatar. But who would play the head of the ant civillization? Hmmm, perhaps Hugo Weaving, but should the ants have an Australian, British, or American accent? Decisions, decisions...

#230191 - 08/21/11 09:15 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Bingley]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I find it funny, that since the 1950s, in bith SF and Govt studies, Aliens always care about whatever is the current pet worry of Mainstream Govt scientists

The worry never is something 'odd' like say "green paint causes alien cancer" or something totally non fathomable to us - Heck. maybe the aliens will be highly religious and attack us because we're not going to church
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.