The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#230193 - 08/21/11 09:21 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: KG2V]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Oh, I hope they're not religious fanatics! We've got enough of those in the here and now.

What I visualize is them keeping an eye on us like humans with stick bugs in an aquarium, except we're meaner.

Sue

#230208 - 08/22/11 01:48 AM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: KG2V]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KG2V
I find it funny, that since the 1950s, in bith SF and Govt studies, Aliens always care about whatever is the current pet worry of Mainstream Govt scientists

The worry never is something 'odd' like say "green paint causes alien cancer" or something totally non fathomable to us - Heck. maybe the aliens will be highly religious and attack us because we're not going to church

This can be generalized to our entire culture. The way we imagine aliens has a lot more to do with us than with "actual aliens." Look at the Alien movie series. Each one is really more about some deep anxiety of our society. The first one addresses our worries about the unholy alliance between the corporate sector and the military-industrial complex. The second one is about single motherhood. The third one is about the penal system. The final one is about Walmart (or rather, the takeover of our lives by multinational corporations). Others like Predator seem more primal, speaking to our ancestral fears as prey animals on the plains of Africa. Men in Black is about illegal immigration and the changing demography of the United States (remember the start of the movie, where the MIBs take over an INS operation, let go the (presumably) illegal immigrants, and bust a space alien disguised as a Latin American man.

Nothing wrong with any of this. Besides, the only ones concerned with green paint that causes alien cancer will be... you guessed it, kids, the aliens. It won't be us.

Da Bing

#230238 - 08/22/11 02:23 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: NightHiker]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Any semi-intelligent race is probably going to go out of their way to avoid us and since we're basically out in the sticks of the galaxy I doubt we're going to get many visitors. The ones that do show up are probably just the "I've got to see this for myself" crowd and ecp-tourists.

"Hey, Zorg, 100 denuks says you don't dare shove the probe up there!"

"Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!"

#230250 - 08/22/11 03:46 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
It's not so much that we're insignificant it's that we're probably pretty much the trailer trash of the universe. Any semi-intelligent race is probably going to go out of their way to avoid us and since we're basically out in the sticks of the galaxy I doubt we're going to get many visitors. The ones that do show up are probably just the "I've got to see this for myself" crowd and eco-tourists.

If they've got ion power, we're probably just a hop-skip-jump from anywhere (if they've got Scotty).

Earth is probably the poster child of the universe. Since we can't set a good example, we might as well serve as a horrible warning.

Sue

#230252 - 08/22/11 03:56 PM Re: NASA: aliens might destroy us [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If aliens are visiting us, it is probably just to observe our bizarre behavior - somewhat in the manner in which we gather in crowds to watch the bad flights at night from the mouth of Carlsbad Caverns.

The aliens hover above us at sunrise and sunset to watch our behavior as we swarm onto the freeways at morning and evening rush hours. Maybe we are part of an Intergalactic Nature Preserve.....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 468 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.