Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#230048 - 08/18/11 09:57 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: comms]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Not into those sports, but I do use my bags regularly. The ruck is a large ALICE. I know those hold up. The belt pouch/fanny pack is Outdoor Gear and works well except for the belt- it loosens on its own. My EDC backpack isn't packed for anything more than what I need during a day. Usually I just carry lunch, my library book, Marcus Aurelius, toilet paper and my coffee jar o' stuff.

#230057 - 08/19/11 11:12 AM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: comms]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Same here. Partly for cost issues, buying a nice bag and preparedness gear is expensive so getting use out of it helps ease the cost. Sure you can buy cheap stuff but it helps to justify more expensive stuff if I get more use of it.
I found a modular pack so when just going on a simple bike ride I can remove two layers and have just a hydration bladder and psk and the additional gear is in the truck where is supplemets the get home gear. Then if going on a hike I can add on a layer or two.

#230062 - 08/19/11 01:11 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: comms]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
On the same vein, I want to include accessories provided with our gear. I was going to start a new thread on this specific peeve of mine but feel it can be served here. It really bugs me to buy an expensive or important piece of gear and the extras are flimsy, low budget, fray easily and require additional out of funds by the purchaser.

The provided carry case for a SPOT2 is horribly weak. First time out on a run, it shredded apart and had I not heard it hit the ground would have lost it in the middle of the desert.

I am looking at buying a Dry Case brand soft sided waterproof case. It's clear, it has a lash point molded into the hard plastic top and I am almost positive the unit will work from inside it. So I'll be able to see the lights and press buttons w/o taking it out.

#230070 - 08/19/11 02:58 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: comms]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: comms
...I am almost positive the unit will work from inside it

It will.

#230081 - 08/19/11 06:27 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Few people I know do the GoRuck Challenges. They said they learned early on that brands like T.A.D. and Maxped don't last at all in serious situations. Most of them use Kifaru or Milspec Camelbaks.

IIRC, Kifaru actually has a suspension system to place the load onto your hips where most of the popular ones like Maxpedition do not.

-john

#230101 - 08/19/11 11:59 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: JohnN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Most reasonably large backpacks, 4000 cu in and up, will have a suspension system that transfers the load to the hips. This development traces back to the classic Kelty frame packs of the 1950s.

Maxpedition packs are essentially daypacks, adorned with a lot of MOLLE bling. The Vulture II, their largest, is listed at a mere 2810 cu in. At that volume hip transfer is not a big deal.

#230181 - 08/21/11 04:46 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: comms]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I picked up an Outdoor Products Skyline 8.0 backpack from Walmart. Originally, I got it because it was on sale and it looked decent. I threw it in my closet to use as a loaner.

I just tried it out yesterday. It's actually really nice for a day pack. I tried running with it, and it rode well. The waste strap distribute some weight onto the hips. Also, there's a removable aluminum frame that I just discovered.

#230289 - 08/22/11 10:35 PM Re: Have you really tested your gear bag? [Re: comms]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I test my kit and bags almost every weekend and I can tell you that I have shelved many bags/packs or given them away over the years as after multiple field testings and outings, they did not suit my particular needs

Currently I have 3 non-used packs sitting in the corner that along with a Rubbermaid container of assorted kit will once again be donated to the local Boy Scout troop as there is always a few kids who need gear and cannot readily afford to purchase it.

Right now I have no less then 9 packs or bags that I use on a regular depending on destination, terrain, expected weather, number of days, kit selection taken etc.

That said, there is another pack on display at the the local gear store that is of great interest to me...

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.