The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22983 - 01/06/04 11:44 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
I was at work and one of my student's mothers came to get him. She was well prepared, on her keychain I saw at least 2 lights (small maglite and Blue LED).

I found some giveaway LED light/whistle combo keychains at our local wal mart this weekend, Just $1. Might be good for signalling.

#22984 - 01/07/04 01:56 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I carry an Arc AAA attached to my Micra in one pocket.

I also carry red and turquoise Photon II's attached to my Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II in another pocket.

I don't want to choose between the Micra and the MiniChamp, so I carry both.

#22985 - 01/07/04 02:38 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
My "Office" keychain is attached to my Palm valise via a detachable split ring key holder (the one where you push the button like a syringe to release one half). I carry my orange Leatherman Juice S2 (Mmm.. “orange” juice. I just got the inside joke), Photon II white and a CPR Microshield-plus. At home I either carry the valise as is, which means I have my Palm with me as well, or detach the keychain and stick the Juice in my watch pocket on jeans and the rest of the items dangle on the outside. When camping, I have a nylon belt “pockets” for Maglites. I stick the Juice in the slot meant for pocket knives. That’s a bit redundant as I also wear my Wave camping, but it’s a system I’ve developed to help ensure I carry the keychain items without having to buy extras, one for each lifestyle scenario.

#22986 - 01/08/04 03:16 AM Re: Of women and keychain lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, everyone -- decided to de-lurk and defend women over 35 (like me).... I think it depends less on gender and more on how early one is introduced to technology -- Dad brought home a TRS-80 when I was a kid, and I had a lot of fun playing around with it. But I also agree with Ddraig that if one shows how the right tool actually makes life easier, one goes a long way toward convincing others.

Um, topic? I have a Photon III in my PSK and have a CMG Sonic on my keychain -- the latter came in handy during the August blackout, when I had to climb to my 23d floor apartment in a pitch-dark stairwell.

#22987 - 01/08/04 06:06 AM Re: Of women and keychain lights
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
aardwolfe, funniest series of books I've ever read.

I always carry a Arc AAA light and also a taglite as seen here I also carry a solitaire as a tertiary light. It was a gift, so i cannot complain too much.

My girlfriend carries a basic LED flashlight on her keyring, which incorporates a caribineer and a solitaire (also a gift) she also carries a small pocket knife (old timer brand) I have never had to convince her to do this. It is something her Dad did years ago and she taught it to her daughter.

Take care
Stargazer

ASAP= Always Suspicious Always Prepared

#22988 - 01/08/04 01:28 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
Craig Offline

Quote:
I have a Photon III in my PSK and have a CMG Sonic on my keychain -- the latter came in handy during the August blackout, when I had to climb to my 23d floor apartment in a pitch-dark stairwell.

Excellent!

I really should have named my post "Of my women relatives over the age of 65 and ..."

I was whining only about my mom and aunt, both of whom are over 65.

#22989 - 01/08/04 01:38 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
Craig Offline

Quote:
Put a Fox 40 mini and a Photon on the keyring for the Micra, and you've got my main urban convenience tool!

Where do you carry this? Trouser or jacket pocket?

#22990 - 01/08/04 03:04 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Since, here in Georgia, I don't need my jacket except just a few weeks a year, I keep the aforementioned toolkit in my front left trouser pocket. Hardly even feel it. That is one drawback to living in a milder climate when it comes to preparedness - you can't as easily have a jacket as your main gear carrier all the time.

#22991 - 01/08/04 07:29 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
Craig Offline

Got Georgia on you mind, eh?

During the warmer months, I tend to wear a T-shirt underneath a heavier shirt with long sleeves and two chest pockets. The pockets help with carrying gear. I also have a tropical weight flight jacket that offers several pockets. Wear a T-shirt underneath that, and I'm set.

I've never been asked about my wearing long sleeves in warm weather. Should someone someday ask, I could say I tend to sunburn easily, which is true.

#22992 - 01/08/04 08:24 PM Re: Of women and keychain lights
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

I agree about the long sleeves. If I'm going hiking or fishing, I always wear an SPF-rated supplex long-sleeved shirt, even if it is blazing hot outside. Actually keeps you cooler than a cotton short-sleeve, since the sun isn't cooking your flesh. Come to think of it, a subdued, mid-weight, button-down, long-sleeve shirt with chest pockets is about the most versatile top you can have in your arsenal.

I really like the idea of wearing a photographer's vest or something like that in the summer, but I'm afraid it would attract too much attention in my usual metropolitan surroundings.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.