The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#229464 - 08/08/11 10:43 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Regarding the comparison to a fanny pack in the front, there are obvious differences.

A fanny pack in the front is cumbersome if you've got any activity going on that's greater than a stroll. For example, I can imagine myself snowboarding with a Ribz, even though it would not be desirable. In contrast, snowboarding with a large fanny pack in front would be substantially less fun I think.

The weight distribution is totally different. A Ribz calls for shoulder and back muscles pulling backward to counteract the weight of the Ribz. In contrast, a fanny pack is mostly supported by the hips with some input from the lower back. I think I would prefer the weight distribution of a fanny pack because hips are naturally built to carry more weight. At least my hips are. A fanny pack in front hits a sweet spot for me. I can carry weight all day right there without it fatiguing me. However, I doubt I could get as much stuff in a fanny pack, as compared to a Ribz.

I'm not totally sure about my theories here without trying out the Ribz. I'd want the Ultralight Model, but I'm not motivated to buy it right now.

#229465 - 08/08/11 10:50 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: ireckon]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'm not motivated to buy it right now.
For $65, I can't say I blame you.

HJ

#229467 - 08/08/11 11:08 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
widget Offline
Addict

i have 20 years experience with either a load bearling vest (LBV) or the ALICE suspenders, belt and pouches (LBE). I can tell you that in the military you carry this for a reason, mainly ammunition and other readily available ordnance. It was always hot, uncomfortable and in the way of something. It is hard to adjust clothing, add/remove layers and did I mention it is hot?
Today's military carries ballistic vests, pouches for ammo and ordnance and puts the hydration on the back with a camelbak. It is still not comfortable and it is hot, hot and hotter.
I am completely with Jim, I use a small fanny pack in front to carry firelighter, tinder, a small light and a pocket knife. The rest of my gear is on my back in a good, comfortable pack. It can be hot too, but not nearly as uncomfortable as covering my chest and or stomach area.
Ribz for me is a silly gimmick and nothing more, sorry, not a fan. If they were the "way to go" there would be many more variations on the market. $65 closet filler.

#229486 - 08/09/11 01:37 AM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I can't really tell: What has changed on the newest release?
HJ

This video review I did when I received the product some months ago, for the testing should answer your questions.

http://timbuk2andtippycanoe.blogspot.com/2011/03/ribz-front-pack-review.html

Standard Disclaimer: No affiliation with the company that produces RIBZ other than being asked to review a new product and to test it out prior to release. And don't mind the wheezing pug. He's soundtrack noise.

I've seen that video before! Nice to put a face with the name. I never put 2 & 2 together and realized that was you. Great review! I have the original Ribz and it was your vid that got me of the fence and order the new one.

What I mainly didn't like about the old one was the velcro and the "square" pockets. It could be a bit warm in hot weather but I rarely noticed (try not to hike in the sweltering heat).

I agree with Ireckon- anyone who's ever ran more than 15 steps with a fanny pack on backwards would never recommend that option! Very uncomfortable. The Ribz keeps the load tight to your body, minimizing bounce and lightening the perceived load.

Hikin Jim- I can only speak to the original but no, you don't want to overstuff it. The new version is about 100 CI larger but the pockets also see to "bellow" better. By the looks it should bear the load better.

I don't have mine yet so right now I'm just posting because I'm interested. Also, mine was only $45. Is that a lot of money? I suppose that depends. All these same arguments constantly arise at the mention of Maxpedition, Busse Combat Knives, the Apple iPad, etc etc. If it fulfills the role you want it to perform to your satisfaction, and if you're comfortable with the price, but said item. If not, choose another product.

I think this will be a good small pack for day/trail hiking. It should also be good for walking and for jogging (the latter being something I have to do more of again). It should allow me to carry a phone, wallet, flashlight and keys for urban wear (and possibly a handgun on occasion). It seems like it would be good for canoeing, boating or flying where you want to keep some emergency gear attached to one's person at all times. Lastly I think it would be a good complement to a lumbar pack.

Oh, and to Am_Fear_Liath_Mor, I give you this! Because the more I read your posts the more I think you hate everything! grin

Just giving you some crap! wink

#229497 - 08/09/11 02:22 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Good review, thanks.

Are any of the straps stretchy? Particularly the one that goes around the back, is that stretchy? And the shoulder straps are non-stretchy? Or all the straps stretchy?

HJ

#229499 - 08/09/11 03:23 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: widget]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: widget
I use a small fanny pack in front to carry firelighter, tinder, a small light and a pocket knife. The rest of my gear is on my back in a good, comfortable pack. It can be hot too, but not nearly as uncomfortable as covering my chest and or stomach area.

Same here. I use an excellent ArcTeryx waist pouch that works great. A few tips for success with a waist pouch in front:

- Keep it small.

- Don't overload it. You've got to have the discipline to put only true essentials in there, not everything you'd want to camp with for 4 days.

- Get one whose width tapers down from top to bottom, as seen from the front. This keeps it from bumping into your hips/thighs with every step.

I have found through experience that having gear pouches up against my chest or ribs is simply too uncomfortable in hot weather. This was the case even with the small Osprey Grab-Bag pouch when mounted across my chest.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
It is also very expensive i.e. a complete Osprey LBE Assault MOLLE vest pack can be had for £30.

To be fair, you should also factor in the weight. The entire Ribz rig is listed as weighing 9 ounces. From my prior experience with MOLLE equipment, I suspect each one of those Osprey pouches weighs 5-8 ounces, and that doesn't factor in the weight of the vest platform. I bet the empty Osprey vest rig weighs more than my empty 50L Lowe Alpine pack (2.75 lbs, by the weigh...!).

#229504 - 08/09/11 04:06 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Good review, thanks.

Are any of the straps stretchy? Particularly the one that goes around the back, is that stretchy? And the shoulder straps are non-stretchy? Or all the straps stretchy?

HJ

None of the straps are stretchy. There's an obscene amount of spare strapping on the RIBZ for larger people. I'm 6'2" and I didn't even have to adjust the length on the shoulder straps and still had at least 12" of spare strapping. The back strap comes about 4' long and can be trimmed down or left alone to accommodate larger people easily.
I know I'm going to sweat underneath the RIBZ if I wear them. Do the items in the RIBZ get all sweat soaked?

HJ

#229513 - 08/09/11 06:04 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I've been trying very hard to like the Ribz: It is innovative, cool and there seems to be a lot of thought going into the construction - and high quality (it seems). I really want do dig this product...

Analyzing my ACTUAL needs was a fun excercize and with some regret led to the conclusion that it's not for me. It was a fun excersize, though - so I'll give you an outline of the process:

First: This thing would never replace my backpack. I will always prefer a backpack to this contraption. But could it possibly be a useful addition to my backpack - to make things easy accessible and move the center of gravity closer to my center line?

In the cold season, easy access to mittens, my wool buff and my cap is paramount - those things go off and on every second as I regulate temperature. The reserved place for them is the big pockets of my goretex (equivalent) shell jacket, but getting into those can be a bit of a drag when wearing a big rucksack because the way the hip and sholder straps are positioned exactly over those pockets. In many ways, that jacket is my RIBZ equivalent: 2 small pockets at the chest, 2 big pockets at the hip. The big pocket of my jacket works well with small packs, sort of OK with my biggest daypack (55 litre) and hardly at all with my biggest pack (130 litre). A big (10 litre), deep pocket that clips to the shoulder straps would be great. The RIBZ contraption is probably over-engineered for this purpose, but I could live with that.

The other thing that the RIBS could hold is my water bottle. (I stay away from Camel packs for no particular reason, they are just are not my thing).

Other items that I really don't need it for:
My map: I already have a map case that hangs around my neck and one shoulder. My GPS: I have a (custom made) vinyl pouch for that, too. It clips nicely to my map case. (I live one mile from 2 really nice one-man business shoe repair shops, one of them accepts odd custom jobs for a reasonable price). Putting the map or GPS in a RIBZ vest would be less functional, not more.

Snack? There's plenty room for that in my jacket. And a bigger meal shall be enjoyed, not gurped down on the move (meaning: Remove pack, sit down).

Mobile phone? Goes into my cargo pocket (in a water proof pouch).

Yes, a RIBZ could hold what I consider bare-bones essentials for light and fast exploring and hiking. But the truth is - I wouldn't use RIBZ for that, I would use a small daypack or hip pack.

The only situation where I see the thing as a genuine improvement for me is together with my biggest backpack, holding my water bottle plus some more (camera, snack, tools) - and having room for my mittens, buff and cap when I start sweating. But then again - the west will probably interfere with my GPS+map case, and it will be a THIRD item that I have to put on and remove. And how often do I use my biggest pack for this kind of trip? It is mostly used for hauling stuff between the car and the wilderness cabin; I don't do long stretch winter tent trips all that often....

My conclusion: I will try to find or make a pouch for my right shoulder strap, big enough for my mittens and water bottle. Something that clips on and becomes integral to the pack. Especially on my biggest pack that would be a big improvement. But the RIBZ vest is not for me.

#229516 - 08/09/11 06:29 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

So things like maps and notes and such stay dry in the RIBZ even if you sweat? That's pretty good.

I'm seriously tempted although certain non-male adult members of my immediate family tend to take a dim view on my purchasing more gear. I want something where I can store some items while I carry my daughter in a backpack type child carrier. I could tie things to the child carrier, but that's a bit cheesy and things tend to sway which I don't want.

RIBZ isn't perfect -- not much capacity for a longer hike for one thing -- but it might be enough for short hikes where I just want a windbreaker and a bottle of water.

Thanks for all the info. Now time for me to chew on it for a while.

HJ

#229526 - 08/09/11 08:31 PM Re: New Ribz front pack now out [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is certainly useful to carry some items handy in front so that you can reach them while hiking with minimum effort. I like to stash such items in one or two pockets or pouches mounted on the pack waist belt.

I have modified nearly every pack i have owned for the last several years and have had successful results - my goodies are handy and everything is well balanced.

The Ribz looks interesting, but I suspect it is highly specialized, and not generally useful for most people.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.