The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#229473 - 08/08/11 11:35 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: JerryFountain]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Cargo pockets are great when in a vehicle but should not be used on foot.

Thanks Jerry, Since I created that PSK, I haven't taken any long hikes and it's been ok but I understand what you're saying. On long hikes I'm sure it will also be a chafing issue as well since my pants are pretty baggy and my legs kinda wobble around inside them and would brush up against the PSK with every foot stroke. I'll probably convert it to a shoulder bag of some kind on my next long hike.

#229525 - 08/09/11 08:26 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

for hiking, I like fanny/ lumbar packs ( or a small camelbak type hydration pack) for my psk.

That way I can carry my psk, jacket and water, food, plus whatever gear I'm playing with.*

To me h2o and a jacket are part of the off- road kit

TRO

* GPS, etc,

#229603 - 08/10/11 03:03 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: dweste]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: dweste
The Devil being in the details and in need of being chased out, I like to begin with definitions. I have an urban everyday carry or UEDC, an urban personal survival kit or UPSK that contains no metal, and an urban personal first aid kit or UPFAK that contains no metal except some foil packets.

These are sized to all fit easily together into pants' pockets, though best in some kind of cargo pant. My thought is that they are with me whether or not I am separated from whatever else i am also carrying.

I do have slightly beefed up versions which I carry in non-urban situations, where I feel free to add metal implements.

I do not consider water to be part of my EDC, UPSK, or UPFAK, though I have the means to carry and purify some water in both my UPSK and UPFAK.

Of course, I live in suburban California which is not friendly to things like knives and have often had to go through metal detectors.

Dweste, I would really like to know how you set up these kits, if you could provide some details, I would much appreciate.

Thanks,

C. Rowe

#229856 - 08/15/11 01:19 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
duckear Offline
Addict

Minimum? I wear clothing for the worst weather than can be expected over the next 24 hours period, a knife, a way to make fire, my cellphone and my keys. (A Photon is on the keyring).

Edited by duckear (08/15/11 01:19 AM)

#229891 - 08/16/11 01:19 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: duckear]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: duckear
Minimum? I wear clothing for the worst weather than can be expected over the next 24 hours period, a knife, a way to make fire, my cellphone and my keys. (A Photon is on the keyring).

Good philosophy, Ducker. Appropriate clothing for 24 hrs, knife, fire, and light are my four absolutes since joining this forum.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229900 - 08/16/11 03:37 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That is a very fine fundamental list, but I am enough of a desert rat that I would add water (or at least access to a certain source).

#230118 - 08/20/11 02:13 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
sotto Offline
Addict

Out here on the left coast, a knife, lighter, cellphone, PLB, Steripen, hiking stick, ARC AAA flashlight, a dark chocolate Snicker bar, small compass on my watchband, 1 liter Nalgene bottle of water, and an AMK bivy bag serve well. All I need to do is basically make it back to my truck, or short of that, notify the cavalry that I can't.

Oh, and all this goes into my vest pockets.

#230139 - 08/20/11 02:45 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Sotto, great list. I don't want this to come off as sharpshooting, but my hard learned advice. I carry almost the exact same kit daily except for the snickers bar that tend to melt on me. I switched to Payday bars. They don't melt at all.

#230146 - 08/20/11 04:06 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: comms]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: comms
Sotto, great list. I don't want this to come off as sharpshooting, but my hard learned advice. I carry almost the exact same kit daily except for the snickers bar that tend to melt on me. I switched to Payday bars. They don't melt at all.

Thanks, but I'm allergic to anything that starts with the letter "P". Besides that, I love those dark chocolate Snickers so much they never have time to melt. Oh, and I freeze them.

#230149 - 08/20/11 04:41 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
That is a very fine fundamental list, but I am enough of a desert rat that I would add water (or at least access to a certain source).

Good call Hikermor. Water is life. I'm rarelly without a bottle close at hand. I carry a litre or more in a ss bottle, depending on how far off the beaten path I'm going. Along with a bandana and micropur tabs I'm usually set for refills around here. I also keep a military mess cup in some of my kits.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.