Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#22947 - 01/08/04 03:01 PM Re: Magnets and Compass Storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

It just occured to me that if you are carrying a magnet in your PSK that is a stronger magnet than the compass needle and you are afraid that the compass will become miss-aligned magnetically because of that then all you need to do is to paint the south end of the larger magnet red and carry enough twine to suspend it. A compass is a magnet. If you are concerned that the stronger magnet will hurt the weaker one in the needle of the compass then you shouldn't be concerned that the weaker one will hurt the stronger one. Sooo. Hang the strongest magnet you have by a piece of cord around its balance point and watch which way it's south pole points - that's north. By carrying a magnet in your PSK you are actually carrying two compasses. No problem if all you want to do is determine north from south. If you use this trick to calibrate you more presice compass you can easily determine if it stills knows north from south and then use it to find your way degree by degree.

#22948 - 01/08/04 11:01 PM Re: Magnets and Compass Storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

exactly. i had planned on using one of the needles since the magnet isn't a bar magnet. however, since i'm going to have to go through the trouble of magnetizing a needle it's beneficial to carry the other compass until i know it doesn't work.

#22949 - 01/09/04 03:12 PM Re: Magnets and Compass Storage
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
An interesting story on the NASA Science site a few weeks back pointed out that magnetic north is on the move.

Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field

"The pole kept going during the 20th century, north at an average speed of 10 km per year, lately accelerating "to 40 km per year," says Newitt. At this rate it will exit North America and reach Siberia in a few decades."

There's a lot of interesting info in the full article, including what happens when the entire field flips,

"They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows."

#22950 - 01/28/04 09:00 AM Re: PSK contents: suggestions?
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
About the magnet. In my kit in a niteeyes pouch. I have one of those extendable mgnetic pickups. I have replaced the pocket clip with a screw eye. It is rated to lift 10 pounds. The reason for its inclusion is that if I drop something matalic such as a knife. Said knife drops into an area I can't reach. The pickup extends my reach. Or I can tie some cordage to reach even farther. This is just one Item that it can work on. In a pocket kit a strong magnet that a cord can be attached can be used for similar retrivals. Since it should not adversly affect compasses I think it is a worthwhile addition. Plus it can make expenient compasses. among many other uses.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.