Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#229350 - 08/07/11 01:05 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Originally Posted By: Basecamp
Innovative and might do, but incomplete and untested.

Why re-invent the wheel, for less than two bits more per item, Survival Resources has their emergency water bag made for that particular use.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm

Not Re-Inventing anything. Not everyone has the ability to purchase from the internet nor does everything have to be 100% survival oriented. This is Simply a good alternative to transporting water. Also Id Rather stock up on smaller bags then one giant quart sized bag. One puncture and there is your entire quart of water on the ground.

Call me a dissenter if you will.

If your life or others come down to using a collapsible vase for water storage then I really question this inclusion in any person's kit. When it comes to survival and PSK items, yes there are some things to be cheap on or innovative, however water storage is not one of them. Spend the $5.00 or so and buy a properly designed, collapsible water bottle (or 2) as one day when the chips are down and mother nature is dealing you a bad card, you will be thankful that you were properly equipped to survive...

John Lubbock

#229351 - 08/07/11 02:26 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Id like to simply point out that this was posted Under the "Around the campfire" section and not once did I State This is a PSK/Survival Item. Sorry to sound to defensive but My original context is already being miss interpreted multiple times.

The Item is a Vessel to transport water, Much like a bucket or a cup, Not a Bottle or sealed bag. Would it be Decent for a Survival situation? Yes It could have its uses such as collecting water and letting the particulates settle before filtering and placing into your actual Carry method such as a Platypus, Water Bag from that website posted Or my personal choice Lansinoh Milk Bags.

[(Around The Campfire) "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"]

Im starting to think we need a Section For "Camping and Camping Gear Talk".

Edited by Frisket (08/07/11 02:42 AM)

#229352 - 08/07/11 03:04 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Id like to simply point out that this was posted Under the "Around the campfire" section and not once did I State This is a PSK/Survival Item. Sorry to sound to defensive but My original context is already being miss interpreted multiple times.

Fair enough. If you did not purchase the product as a survival related reason, perhaps you can elaborate why someone (outside a survival situation and the uses you already described) would want to use such a product in every day life other then for it's original intended use.

John Lubbock

#229354 - 08/07/11 04:39 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I am honestly Flabbergasted at this.

#229355 - 08/07/11 05:15 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's still better than using a silly condom as a water container!

Interesting find, Frisket!

And water isn't all it will hold, either.

Sue

#229357 - 08/07/11 06:01 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
I am honestly Flabbergasted at this.

If I upset you, it wasn't meant to be taken that way. I look at forums as a place to exchange info, and make our experiences safer for the exchange. Not everyone's going to agree. Some things are more important than others; when I see something that I think is a bad idea and can lead to a problem, I sometimes put my .02 in. I'll stand by what I've said, without any intent to flabbergast, just with some concern.

For the most part, I don't think most folks here know each other personally; so the best we can do is try to weight the thoughts an suggestions offered by each other.

...I would probably get into more trouble trying to point out that condoms are tested against leakage and are used by and recommended by military personel
...and I have never seen floral bags listed by those folks for that use... but, like I said, to each his own...:)

#229367 - 08/07/11 04:11 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I was more Flabbergasted at being asked to explain what the uses are for a Item that CARRIES WATER.

On A Second note the condom has been replaced time and time again as it is a outdated and difficult measure (While yes still useable and does the job to a point). Not to mention it has easily been replaced by the Water bag you brought up earlier.

The "Floral" bag is Literally nothing more then a Platypus without a cap. How do I know this? Well cause I Own BOTH! And the material is near identical of course minus the exact shape and printed design.

And just for fun =D

Id Love to see how bacpacjac would react to a suggestion to use a condom instead of a pretty floral vase to carry water while fishing with her kids. "Ok Kids We need some water so here take mommy's magnums and go fill um for her" Not..gonna..happen..lol

And Id love to hear the critics when the first military guy proposed to use a condom for water. Youre gonna use THAT......To carry your water in......Good luck with that..........

#229373 - 08/07/11 05:20 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

And just for fun =D

Id Love to see how bacpacjac would react to a suggestion to use a condom instead of a pretty floral vase to carry water while fishing with her kids. "Ok Kids We need some water so here take mommy's magnums and go fill um for her" Not..gonna..happen..lol

LOL!! Right you are Frisket!

I have some condoms in my kits, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out something for my DS and my Cub Scouts' survival kits. A condom opens a great big can of worms that I'm not ready for, especially as a Scout leader. Just imagine the reaction I'd get from parents!

What is they say? Necessity is the mother of invention? I settled on ziplock bags until I saw this thread. I WILL check these vases out. Thanks again for the tip!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229374 - 08/07/11 05:35 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I have some condoms in my kits, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out something for my DS and my Cub Scouts' survival kits. A condom opens a great big can of worms that I'm not ready for, especially as a Scout leader. Just imagine the reaction I'd get from parents!

What is they say? Necessity is the mother of invention? I settled on ziplock bags until I saw this thread. I WILL check these vases out. Thanks again for the tip!

Only warning is they do not seal and at the location i purchased them in they were all "Froo Froo Frilly" So the boys may be alittle put off by um. The one thing that has always been a concern in scouts was cost so Im sure a large group of good options are off the list due to their price. Mothers milk bags Im positive are off the list as well for I am sure they would bring up just as many questions as a condom and concern from the parents. You can always try to get the parents together to purchase the water bag from the survival site. For the price they are still inexpensive and a better option for full blown survival reasons. Tho Im sure Kids will find many fun uses around the camp for the "vases" specially if the grounds has a swimming hole or fishing hole.

#229375 - 08/07/11 05:35 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Only warning is they do not seal and at the location i purchased them in they were all "Froo Froo Frilly" So the boys may be alittle put off by um. The one thing that has always been a concern in scouts was cost so Im sure a large group of good options are off the list due to their price. Mothers milk bags Im positive are off the list as well for I am sure they would bring up just as many questions as a condom and concern from the parents. You can always try to get the parents together to purchase the water bag from the survival site. For the price they are still inexpensive and a better option for full blown survival reasons. Tho Im sure Kids will find many fun uses around the camp for the "vases" specially if the grounds have a swimmign hole or fishing hole

Edited by Frisket (08/07/11 05:41 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.