Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#229178 - 08/04/11 11:46 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: Callahan]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Callahan
I guess I am just embarrassed that I cant spell, type or put together a proper sentence.

I cannot spell either. That is why I use a word processor.

Jeanette Isabelle

#229194 - 08/05/11 01:15 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Firefox has a spellchecker function which works in the ETS text reply window.

#229204 - 08/05/11 02:10 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I believe I'm the culprit!JB referred to my style as a Haxxor,of which I consider an honor,though that is not something I was trying to acheive.I've never had typing lessons & my calligraphy skills are even worse!I consider my spelling to be above average without the use of spell check,so I don't use it,I don't text on the phone either so nothing derived from there has influenced my writing capacity.I know one thing for sure,It is much easier to change your reading prowess,than it is for me to change my writing style.If one prefer's not to read my posts,so be it.Adapt & Overcome!

#229208 - 08/05/11 02:34 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
sotto Offline
Addict

Ifyoucanreadthisyoudon'thaveenoughtodo.

#229212 - 08/05/11 03:30 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
If aneewon wants mee too korekt there speling and grammer; eye wood bea mor then happie two. Jest let mee no.

#229214 - 08/05/11 04:04 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
i dont see what the problem is with longer posts just read them naturally just as you would any other post punctuation grammer capitalization are all commie plots to do away with our freedoms in this and other countries a plot that must be resisted by all who love freedom which by the way i know many of us do so these very foolish though perhaps well meaning ideas on post clarification must not prevail grammatically correct is just as evil as politically correct to my point of view

#229215 - 08/05/11 04:33 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
my daughter who is working on a PhD read my wall,the post canoe trip story of being wet and burned out.she was a teaching assistant grading papers and such before going to the UK to finish her thesis.i had her read my post..."hummmm action writing"....
like i have said before,if i was any good at this i would have my own blog---and a few.....'s

#229216 - 08/05/11 04:40 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Good writing demonstrates not merely your level of education, but also consideration for your readers. As Blast points out with a humorous example, sometimes a tiny punctuation mark can make a big different in meaning, and those who intend on imparting tips on survival surely want to be as clear as possible.

No, we need not live up to the professional standard of a publishing house, but we can strive for clarity and readability. It's not too much to ask. As readers, we respect the time that people took to write their postings to share their thoughts. Naturally, as writers we must also respect the reader's time. Don't make it difficult for your readers.

Let's face it: people who write poorly and carelessly don't deserve our attention. They are ignorant jerks who waste our time.

Da Bing

#229218 - 08/05/11 09:51 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: Bingley]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Let's face it: people who write poorly and carelessly don't deserve our attention. They are ignorant jerks who waste our time.

Woah! I hope you were just being dry and not serious.

Some of the most capable people I know don't have the best writing skills. More importantly, the expert knowledge they possess can't be easily transfered by spoken/written word anyway.

It has to be experienced.

#229219 - 08/05/11 10:59 AM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Woah! I hope you were just being dry and not serious.

Some of the most capable people I know don't have the best writing skills. More importantly, the expert knowledge they possess can't be easily transfered by spoken/written word anyway.

It has to be experienced.

GD: Agree absolutely.

There are a couple of regular contributors here that I had to 'get used to' in order to be able to easily follow their thoughts. I enjoy reading their contributions and the nugget-mining is easy, as they get right to the point. Not everyone has great writing skills by school-marm standards, but this isn't a technical writing forum.

I would rather have everyone concentrate on their contributions to the discussion than hold back because they are now self-conscious about their writing or grammar.

I would say to the grammar snobs; Skip the imperfect posts if they irritate you. In the long run, it's your loss.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.