#229247 - 08/05/11 03:43 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Great job with the code guys!.

i browse with firefox.

why, all of the sudden, do i have to scroll horizontally to read the messages in this post?

all of the other posts on the board are fine, just a problem with this one.

did someone fix this good?

if so, please unfix.

to me it's 3 x more annoying than run-on sentences and paragraphs.

#229248 - 08/05/11 03:56 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Nothing is changed, as far as I know, with the original post.

#229250 - 08/05/11 03:58 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Try reading this post on a smartphone...excessive scrolling.

The problem link and code is in Am_Fear_Liath_Mor's post. This extra long link and code snippet needs to be shortened... I reported the post so that a MOD can fix it.

John Lubbock

#229252 - 08/05/11 04:12 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: bsmith]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Great job with the code guys!.

i browse with firefox.

why, all of the sudden, do i have to scroll horizontally to read the messages in this post?

all of the other posts on the board are fine, just a problem with this one.

did someone fix this good?

if so, please unfix.

to me it's 3 x more annoying than run-on sentences and paragraphs.

10 times more annoying for me

#229253 - 08/05/11 04:14 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: Teslinhiker]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Try reading this post on a smartphone...excessive scrolling.

The problem link and code is in Am_Fear_Liath_Mor's post. This extra long link and code snippet needs to be shortened... I reported the post so that a MOD can fix it.

thank you! at least i'm not the only one.

and now a pertinent hijack - i guess this means we all have the potential capability to modify this board in our own various ways.

not sure that's a good idea.

mods?

#229254 - 08/05/11 04:36 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: NightHiker]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Let's face it: people who write poorly and carelessly don't deserve our attention. They are ignorant jerks who waste our time.

Dang Bing, that's kinda harsh.

It might bear remembering that we're on a global forum. Not every member is a native English speaker...

If there's anything 20 years of hopping around the world with the military taught me it's this - don't discount a person's knowledge, skills or abilities based on how easy they are to understand (no matter what the communication medium).

Good writing is not the same thing as good grammar or other conventional rules typically drilled in school. One cannot write well unless one has thought through the ideas. Often people who write poorly because they really do not have that much of an argument or insight to share. If they haven't worked out the ideas in their heads, they cannot explain them logically and coherently. Often, they are also not informed, and their internet posts reflect the strength of their emotion rather than the soundness of their conviction. A smattering of misspellings, occasionally run-on sentences, lack of grace, etc. can be overlooked if the author propounds a logical, well-thought-out argument full of facts and analysis. A writer can be dyslexic or a non-English speaker, but he/she can still think, right?

In this sense, good writing reflects your expertise. For some reason, people today seem to think that writing is just rhetoric or ornamental language. They can do without it. This belief is quite mistaken. If we find a piece of writing that is devoid of content or logic, do we call it good writing just because it has perfect grammar? This is absurd. The logical, persuasive presentation of ideas comes first. Of course, the presentation will be damaged by poor grammar, etc.

For examples of poor writing, one needs to go no further than Youtube or, in fact, most comments on news sites. Many comments exhibit base, vulgar, thoughtless, mean-spirited personalities, and I can only surmise that these personalities do indeed reflect the people in front of the computer. It is no surprise to me that the same comments tend to offend the rules of grammar, spelling, etc. These are inconsiderate people, and we are better off without them.

As for experience trumping expression, as a student you can only extend yourself so much to get the wisdom of the tongue-tied teacher. Language barrier aside, I am unconvinced that someone with the necessary experience cannot eventually find a good way to explain his ideas. If he does not have the courtesy to take a bit of time to think about what he wants to say and how he should say it, perhaps he shouldn't drop his stream of consciousness on readers who have the courtesy to read his posts.

Da Bing

#229255 - 08/05/11 04:41 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: bsmith]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
i guess this means we all have the potential capability to modify this board in our own various ways.

No one is modifying this website, the problem is with your browser on your computer which isn't wrapping/justifying the text conveniently for you to read.

The Javascript code shown implemented as a Bookmarklet is telling your browser how to format and justify the text if you want to implement it on your browser.

Anyway I've broken up the longish Javascript text strings with some carriage returns and you could always use the Zoom in and Zoom out functionality on your browser.

You shouldn't have a problem if using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Opera.

The difference is somewhat like using notepad instead of wordpad on a windows OS. wink

#229256 - 08/05/11 04:55 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Originally Posted By: bsmith
i guess this means we all have the potential capability to modify this board in our own various ways.

No one is modifying this website, the problem is with your browser on your computer which isn't wrapping/justifying the text conveniently for you to read.

yes, someone has modified the code.
when i read the messages on this post i have to scroll HORIZONTALLY to read them. this does not occur with any other messages in any other post on this board.

The Javascript code shown implemented as a Bookmarklet is telling your browser how to format and justify the text if you want to implement it on your browser.

so you are saying there is a code that is telling my browser how to format and justify the text - you just proved my point.

Anyway I've broken up the longish Javascript text strings with some carriage returns and you could always use the Zoom in and Zoom out functionality on your browser.

i do not want to "zoom in" and "zoom out" with my browser. i would like to read all the posts in the same way.
i would also like to know that no one can modify this board for their own purposes.

You shouldn't have a problem if using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Opera.

i do not want to use any of those.

The difference is somewhat like using notepad instead of wordpad on a windows OS. wink

i really don't care.
if you caused this problem, would you please uncause it?
thanks.

Edited by bsmith (08/05/11 04:57 PM)

#229257 - 08/05/11 04:58 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We do get fisety around here sometimes don't we?!

Is language important? Of course? Can the way someone says/types something be a problem? Of course! (Thanks Blast!)

BUT.... My grandmother (the former old school teacher and high school english teacher) has always said that we shouldn't let the way someone says something get in the way of what they're saying. If we can understand them, sometimes that's good enough. She also lives by a code that says if you must point out a challenge with the way someone is speaking or writing, you should do so privately, not publically, unless you're in a Toastmasters meeting, writing course or profession.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229258 - 08/05/11 05:08 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: Teslinhiker]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Treslinhiker:

Cliff-in-mod-mode here.

I looked over Am_Fear_Liath_Mor's post, and it seems the code snippets are there to illustrate the code itself, and not something that could be shortened by hyperlink. I viewed it on my phone, and yes, it is a bit of a scroll-fest. I will look to see if there is a way to limit the quote window width.

Which brings up a good point for all. We need to be conscious about how our posts will be viewed, since the reader may be using a 24" monitor, a laptop, or a 2" x 2" smartphone screen. Some may have DSL or T1, some may have 3G or Edge. Or 9600 baud.

The more simple we try to make the world, the more complex it becomes.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.