Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#229610 - 08/10/11 04:33 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: cliff]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: cliff
Crowe:

I've dug fighting positions with an e-tool, both hasty and standing with cover, and also with a full shovel off a 6X6. Latter is FAR easier, as I'm sure you know (!). Typically on FTX (Camp Beaurgard in Louisiana or Ft. Polk) the trick was to dig your position where someone else had dug one before and filled it in. But when you had to dig virgin ground in the dry season... my back just started aching from the memory.

This is of course true. A full size set of tools is far superior (and easier on the back). I'm just saying it is possible. The 6x6x6 pit was dug on virgin soil by a squad over the course of 3 hours, typically two in the pit digging. It sucked, but is possible. I think any quartermaster that has an eye towards efficiency in any FTX would be smart to "procure" full-size picks and shovels to greatly increase the speed of any earthworks.

Quote:
I did chop down 2"-3" saplings with my US e-tool, so it did work as an ad-hoc ax. We often used ours as a monopod stool. (Fix the shovel blade (tight!) at 90 degrees, place handle on ground with shaft perpinducular to the same, and place your bottom on the flat of the blade.)

It works well as an axe. I didn't think about the monopod though, nice tip. The force you can generate with one is pretty frightening, I would take it over a knife as a self defense item.

Quote:
As for my favorite military kit, I use a US miliatry canteen/cup as my water bottle of choice, and I still keep a poncho and liner handy. They are, after the p-38 and 550 cord, the some of the most versitile kit the US military ever developed. I'm still torn between by BW Mess tin and Swedish satinless steel one. And then there's the British mess tins and Pattern 58 water bottle... O, the choices. smile

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

The US Military Canteen/Cup have alot going for them, the kidney shape is really nice, rides on a belt better, doesn't roll, lip is closer to the ground if you are collecting from streams/puddles, and the nesting cup/pouches are just gravy. I hate the plastic taste they impart on water though, tolerable but unpleasant. Fortunately, Nalgene make an equivalent now which is all that and transparent to boot.

Cheers,

C. Rowe

#229625 - 08/10/11 06:17 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Crowe]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Crowe:

Should have clarified - I have a Nalgene one now. Love it. Got tired of the GI plastic taste. Even fits a (far sturdier) GI cap and strap.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

#229641 - 08/10/11 10:05 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I just ordered a Nalgene GI canteen, last week. Should be here any day now. I still use the 2L collapsible canteen when I can. As most of you know the liner has a material that when wet acts as a cooling system.

#229810 - 08/13/11 12:54 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Guys,

Thanks! I have enough experience with the US E-tool to want to look for a a more viable option. I like the wood-handled West German, but will likely end with the US in the plastic cover with ALICE clips.
I also have the canteen, cover & cup. Priceless, yet cheap even new.
Much of my gear is mil surplus. For weight concerns, I do consider civillian stuff. However, for sheer durability I'll almost alway choose miltary gear.

#229848 - 08/14/11 01:58 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Scorp21 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Mo City, TX
It has to be the woobie...I've got one in each car and one in the camping box. They have saved the day more times than I care to admit due to my lack of planning smile

#229851 - 08/14/11 03:59 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hey Scorp21, welcome to the forum. Yes the Woobie is probably #1. Myself, DW, DD & DS also sleep with one every night instead of a bed sheet. Had to get different colors/camo so they'd stop fighting over em.

SIDENOTE: last winter my Godfather & I bought the Therm-a-rest Tech Blanket. It's nickname is, "Super Woobie", we both compared notes after some cold shoulder season sleeping and it did magnificent.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.