Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#228783 - 07/29/11 05:41 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Canteen cup and a pair of mid-90s Canadian military issue wool socks. Those things were like boots in their own right. Super warm, really thick, came upto my knee, had ties to hold them up. There wouldn't fit in my regular boots so I used them as camp slippers. Unfortunately the famly dog chewed them up. I've been on the hunt for another pair ever since.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#228788 - 07/29/11 06:57 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: NightHiker]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Looking at my gear, the only thing I actually use nowadays that is a true military surplus type item, is 550 paracord. Everything else is a commercial based item.

With that said, many items owe their lineage to lessons learned through military gear. Some are obvious (like AR-style sporting rifles), while others, (like Nylon), aren't as evident.

#228791 - 07/29/11 07:39 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Paul810]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Paul810
With that said, many items owe their lineage to lessons learned through military gear. Some are obvious (like AR-style sporting rifles), while others, (like Nylon), aren't as evident.

A lot of innovations and practices we use today have a military history. Just to name a few, plastic surgery was developed in WWI to treat soldiers who were shot in the face. Sanitary napkins were developed by nurses in the field in WWI. Modern dentistry was first used by American soldiers in WWII.

Jeanette Isabelle

#228794 - 07/29/11 09:05 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Regulator6 Offline
Stranger

My military kit in Iraq was a water source connected to my body that was always full (I drank out of a camel back that was attached to my vehicle seat) and every signal/commo device I could fit on my vest/body. Every fiber of my being was going to be focused on re-establishing contact with friendly forces. I actually didn’t have very many interesting items. Just PLB, signal mirror, whistle, smoke grenades, pen flares, buzz saw (chemlight with 550 cord attached to swing around for a larger signature) strobe (with IR capability) and a VS-17 panel. I did carry some water purification tabs, but I figured that even if I did find a water source, I wasn’t hanging around long enough to filter it with anything but a bandanna, drop in some tabs and keep moving. There were a lot of other little things I carried, but those stand out as being the most critical. I also tried to always keep a MRE main course in my cargo pocket, but otherwise I don’t think I had any food or food procurement items, just electrolyte mixes.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I would say that one of the most important items in my kit was a picture of my family, some religious psalms embroidered on a handkerchief and the ranger creed (I’m not a Ranger, but it’s a great creed). I looked to these items daily for inspiration/motivation and I’m sure they would have come in just as handy in a survival situation.

Another interesting item for discussion is the blood chit. Their these documents that are written in several languages that basically say that I’m an American Soldier, circumstances beyond my control have led me to ask you for help and that if you aid me you will be compensated by the US govt. I’m not suggesting that the ETS community is in need of evasion aids, but it just occurred to me that having some basic “this is who I am and I need your help” documentation in a few languages could come in helpful if you were going to be traveling in an area that spoke a language you did not know.

#228798 - 07/29/11 11:14 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Before WWII, manila climbing rope was state of the art. Nylon rope, developed because of the unavailability of manila during the conflict, superseded natural fibers after the war with startling improvements in strength, utility, and safety.

#228802 - 07/30/11 12:45 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The U.S. Air Force aircrew helmet bag - two external pockets, two internal pockets and the main compartment.

#228813 - 07/30/11 10:17 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Two OD wool blankets and a couple of full-sized OD canvas duffel bags

#228817 - 07/30/11 12:50 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

How do they size those boot bags? I like them and would like to get a pair.

#228836 - 07/30/11 07:31 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I still think my favorite is the good ole fashion triangle bandage. I had one from my dad as a kid as far back as I can remember. Pulls duty as scarf, headband, "do-rag," dust filter, pot holder, bandage compress, tie-down strap, snot rag ...

All the same one! It's amazing how durable it is. It's actually fraying at the edges finally, but that thing has probably been camping with me at least 150 nights and probably close to 1,000 miles.

Yes, I wash it!

#228894 - 08/01/11 04:30 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I have a few bits which I like, but something not metioned is a FRED. Australian Army Issue. Its like a p31,but much better smirk

It fits very nicely in a wallet too!

Here's a picture incase you don't know:

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.