Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#226804 - 06/28/11 12:12 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: Arney]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Arney
I think at least one LED headlamp would be a very beneficial addition. Being able to go hands-free is so useful when you have things to do in the dark.

Actually, you might want to ask her to check out any LED lights before she needs them. I know that some older folks have a hard time seeing with the bluish light from LED flashlights compared to the old incandescent flashlights, even if that light is dimmer and orange. Even in younger eyes, blue wavelengths are not focused well by the eye, and that gets worse with age. Maybe that's fine to put up with in an emergency, but it annoys the heck out of some people.

Good luck getting your mom prepared.

Thanks Arney! I hadn't thought of that. She has macular degeneration which means light is a huge issue. Incandescents are probably a better choice for her.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226829 - 06/28/11 08:23 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Moms are different, and if it was my mom to be prepared, I would eliminate the generator altogether.

See if you can provide her with other means of lighting sources. For emergency short term, use light sticks (plus flashlights of course). For longer term, buy her a couple of solar lights ( the ones used in gardens ..etc. ) She can put them at the window in the day, and re-position them at night.

Cooking, I would buy her small gas stove, plus several bags of wood/coal for the fire pit you mentioned.

#226840 - 06/28/11 01:40 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great idea Chisel! The simpler the better. Honestly, I was stunned that she bought a generator. Maybe she's trying to get in touch with her inner bush woman, who knows. wink

#226842 - 06/28/11 01:55 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Thanks Arney! I hadn't thought of that. She has macular degeneration which means light is a huge issue. Incandescents are probably a better choice for her.

I respectfully disagree. LED emitters are far less fragile and tremendously more energy efficient than incandescent light bulbs. It's possible to buy flashlights from a warmer tint bin that don't have these issues.

#226845 - 06/28/11 03:16 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I respectfully disagree. LED emitters are far less fragile and tremendously more energy efficient than incandescent light bulbs. It's possible to buy flashlights from a warmer tint bin that don't have these issues.

The tint of an LED may--or may not--make a difference to people who have trouble with an excess of blue, so it's going to be a subjective thing for each person. A "warm" LED light still has an excess of blue in it compared to an incandescent, and a deficiency in other colors compared to an equally warm, but fuller spectrum, incandescent bulb. An elderly friend of mine who says the blue of LED really annoys his eyes dislikes even my warm tint LED or high CRI (color rendering index) LED flashlights, although he says they are better than using a bluish LED. YMMV

#226859 - 06/28/11 05:52 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Are power outages the big threat where she is?

Sue

#226872 - 06/28/11 10:36 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes Sue, power outage is probably the biggest threat, be it from wind/rain storms or heat. Heat, and wind and water from those storms are numbers two, three and four in my mind. I don't think there's ever been a twister near there but high winds bring down trees and power lines, and the local rivers are prone to flooding. She's on relatively high ground in the park, but low compared to the surrounding area.

#226873 - 06/28/11 10:37 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As for lights, I'll try a few different ones and see what she thinks. As her vision fades, we'll have to make a bunch of adjustments for a bunch of stuff.

#226922 - 06/29/11 07:49 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Does she understand the need/speed to vacate to higher ground, and where to go and what to take? I hope she isn't the kind to wait to see what others are doing, first.

How about printed lists taped inside a cupboard door near the exit door?

#226935 - 06/30/11 01:03 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Does she understand the need/speed to vacate to higher ground, and where to go and what to take? I hope she isn't the kind to wait to see what others are doing, first.

How about printed lists taped inside a cupboard door near the exit door?

Good call Sue! She's a nurse by profession and genetics so she's likely to stick around and try to help others before helping herself. She was the Director Care at nursing home for years so has the know-how, just maybe not the presence of mind to overcome the herd mentality and save herself preemptively. I think we'll make her a BOB for the trailer and the instructions are a great idea. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.